Lower cost, lower kW DC chargers coming?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I want is a 10(KW charger with a chademo one one end and a 14-50 on the other. I could bounce between rv parks and charge in half the time.

johnrhansen said:
All I want is a 10(KW charger with a chademo one one end and a 14-50 on the other. I could bounce between rv parks and charge in half the time.

If 14-50 equals 3phase I'm on it too.

Only thing it must be in the $750 or less range too if not to eat up all savings by having an electric ride.

edatoakrun said:
Beemer’s box also has a comparatively low price tag – $6,548 for authorized BMW partners.

I hope Bosch will bring a CHAdeMO model out soon, though we might not see it at ~the same (BMW subsidized?) price.
It's subsidized.

Press release: http://www.bmwusanews.com/newsrelease.do?id=2132&mid=&searchresult" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spec sheet (doesn't say much): http://bmwmedia.iconicweb.com/mediasite/attachments/BMW_i_DC_Fast_Charger_Spec_Sheet.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which which mentions
Voltage 400V–480V, 3 phase
Price $6,548 2
2 BMW subsidized price for BMW Centers and authorized partners.

ice said:
johnrhansen said:

If 14-50 equals 3phase I'm on it too.

Only thing it must be in the $750 or less range too if not to eat up all savings by having an electric ride.

a 14-50 is a single (split) phase 240 volt 50 amp plug. It is used to connect large RVs to the campsite and to connect household electric ranges to the supply system. I also believe teslas use them as well. Over here, very few if any residences are wired for 3 phase. A 3 phase system would only be practical in commercial applications.

I was thinking about 2000 would be a price that would work.

edatoakrun said:
But not any that I've seen for CHAdeMO, yet...
...I hope Bosch will bring a CHAdeMO model out soon, though we might not see it at ~the same (BMW subsidized?) price...
CHAdeMO available:
Convenience charging for commercial, office and dealer locations

The Terra 23 is a network-connected charging station with mult-standard extensibility, designed for convenient fast charging times that meets the needs of drivers and service providers everywhere.

ABB offers 20 kW DC fast charging that can integrate with any existing charger network, supporting all major standards with intelligent charging and grid demand management. It will fully charge a car in 30-90 minutes while the EV driver is at the office, in a meeting, at the gym, shopping or eating out. Modest input power requirements make these 20kW chargers cost-effective for installation and use.
This user-centric approach means that the Terra 23 solution offers an easily implemented, high value solution for EV service providers. The Terra 23 design can be configured to Combo (CCS), CHAdeMO, or both, all in a single unit.

Terra 23 C: Combo (CCS-1)
Terra 23 J: CHAdeMO 1.0
Terra 23 CJ: Combo (CCS-1) and CHAdeMO 1.0

http://www.abb.com/product/us/9aac175239.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Too bad it requires three-phase, which limits applications in the USA, and since it looks to be essentially a low-power 53 (see installation info at link below) I suspect the price is not close to that of the much smaller BMW-subsidized DC.

Required
––Minimal required external fuse for full power output: 100A
––Power limiting settings available in case of lower external
fuse configuration
––Power connection:
–– Terra 53: 60kVA, 480V, 60Hz, 3P+PE
–– Terra 23: 28kVA, 480V, 60Hz, 3P+PE...

http://www05.abb.com/global/scot/scot344.nsf/veritydisplay/f7c8f8ab417d677685257d09005e68a3/$file/4EVC-EOFS01U-EN_T53-T23_Installation_Brief-WEB.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Our Mini-QC experimental project used up to 50 or so amps at 240v AC 60Hz.
Air cooled, in about a cubic foot, tested with the Chademo port on the 2011 LEAF.
So, designed toward the 50 amp breaker, not "continuous" usage.

But, it needs an isolated redesign to make it more suitable for general usage.
However, used carefully in suitable conditions, it charged several different cars.

Of course the Juicebox Level 2 charger can handle up to 15kW and comes with a 14-50P. If you find a cheap charger to add to your Leaf you could do 10kW charging.

Using the fast charge port is going to be the more expensive route.

bluedream42 said:
If you find a cheap charger to add to your Leaf you could do 10kW charging.

Using the fast charge port is going to be the more expensive route.

One does not just add a cheap charger to a LEAF because a cheap charger will not be isolated nor is it as simple as plugging it into the car.

Just wait until nissan offers it and trade it in. Or you can wait until the magical vapor $35k tesla is for sale.

So I know that others with the 3.3 kWh chargers have added a second charger inside the car to charge at a higher rate. Would it be possible to add a second charger to the car that gets it's own J1772, or even 2 extras? This could allow you to charge at public charging stations with up to 3 different J1772s plugged into your car each supplying upwards of 30 amps at 240ish v.

I would be interested in something like this since I drive home pretty late at night and have multiple places to stop with 2 to 10 30 amp J1772s that are almost always open. The 2 current QC around me are right by my work, perfect for now if my 120v at work isn't working but if I have degradation and need to charge over 80% to make it in the winter (currently the most I've used to get home is 85% of a brand new battery) then I'm not really quick charging. It would be a lot quicker if I left at 80% and stopped along the way to top up when at 30%ish.

Of coarse I'd only ever use it when I'm with the car and willing to unplug if another driver shows up. Wouldn't want to sit there with 3 J1772s going to one car and leave.

It is possible to add one or two extra chargers to the Leaf (I've done it because I don't have DCQC on mine).. and we have a thread on here with lots of pics and DIY on how to do it...Biggest downside is that people don't want to spend "only" a $1k+ or so on each charger and then all the DIY time, etc, etc..

They want a turnkey professional solution which in fact if done by somebody, would easily cost $4k+ so no one offers the services except Victor I believe in OR.

DIY is really the best bet ;)

I wonder... would it be possible to cobble together a CHADEMO charger together using some chargers out of wrecked leafs and a control card? Then you wouldn't have to modify the car.

So here's the current options for faster charging:

Metricmind in Portland, OR - Add additional chargers to the Leaf - http://www.upgrademyleaf.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Each 3.3kW water cooled charger is $2391.00. Adding three booster chargers for 16.7kW charging would be insane.
$900.00 for installation.
For one booster installed - $3291.00

(I'd be tempted to get an additional 3.3kW charger for my 2015 Leaf - charging at 10kW would be nice)

You'd need a heavy duty EVSE to run these - the Juicebox from EMW can do up to 15kW (240v/60a)

OR

Get all the parts from EMW to build a CHADEMO charger:
SmartCharge-12000 - $2000.00 +
Chademo controller - $699.00 +
3D printed Chademo plug & 12ft 100A cable - $899.00 +
6 foot - 15-50P (50A RV Plug input) - $39.00 =
For 12kW Chademo charger - $3637.00

Seems like if you'd be up for a little tinkering you could have a portable Chademo charger that you could use at any RV park. You could make a greater than 12kW charger but then you'd need a lot more power too.

So relatively cheap? You decide. Building a 12kW charger would be a fun hacking project.

johnrhansen said:
I wonder... would it be possible to cobble together a CHADEMO charger together using some chargers out of wrecked leafs and a control card? Then you wouldn't have to modify the car.

One will have to hack the inverter communication to make it go on regen mode only and have a 3 phase source for the input. Some cooling might be needed. So yes, a 30kw fast charger from wrecked Leaf might be duable. I am not sure about isolation.

camasleaf said:
johnrhansen said:

One will have to hack the inverter communication to make it go on regen mode only and have a 3 phase source for the input. Some cooling might be needed. So yes, a 30kw fast charger from wrecked Leaf might be duable. I am not sure about isolation.

You'd still need a chademo controller of some sort. Using the inverter as a charger reminds me of the Chameleon charger on-board the Renault Zoe. It can do charging up to the max regen it would usually do. Downside is that the design doesn't support isolation.

I wasn't thinking about using the inverter. I was thinking about the charger. say 4 of them... 24 KW. I bet though that the charger is the inverter...just run through some more coils or something.

Back