LF deal on Leaf S with or w/out QC in Atlanta, October 2014

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a couple of comments from the conversation in this thread...

1. Making the first month's payment does not equal "nothing down." If it's truly nothing down, then the dealer should be making the first month's payment. This is one way they bait and switch you.

Compare the true "out the door" price which includes all taxes, fees, 1st month's payment, plus down payment (if any) to make a true "apples to apples" comparison of the same model car with the same leased mileage/# of years within the same Geographic market.

2. The Dispo Fee (typically $395) is negotiable just like any other part of the financial transaction. The dealerships can scream all the want about this being imposed by Nissan Finance, but it is a factor to take into consideration when considering the entire lease deal. Some people say they have been able to negotiate this out completely.

One of the ways to get an even better lease deal is to negotiate your best deal via email (Out the Door price plus Monthly Payment times # of remaining months). And then when you get into the Finance Manager's office to close the deal - object to the added Dispo Fee to grind the deal down further. Get up and walk out the door, if you have to. (This is the most powerful tool in your negotiating tool box.) Oftentimes, you can eliminate the cost of the Dispo Fee ($395) in the lease costs through the monthly payments and/or out the door cost.

Good luck.

sonnylax said:
1. Making the first month's payment does not equal "nothing down." If it's truly nothing down, then the dealer should be making the first month's payment. This is one way they bait and switch you.

Hi sonnylax. Thanks for your input. My philosophy when buying or leasing a car is the simpler the deal, the better. So the way I look at the whole down payment thing is to consider everything you pay at signing, except the first months payment. Let me explain. First, all dealers I've been in contact with in the Atlanta area require the first payment at signing - even the "good" ones! :) So I think it's easier when comparing offers, for example on a 24 month lease, to take for granted you're going to make your first payment up front and then 23 more. Since you typically have a 24 or 36 month lease to begin with, you will pay either 24 or 36 payments in total per the agreement. If you were being asked to pay the quoted monthly payment amount when inking the deal *and* 24 or 36 additional payments, then I would object.

sonnylax said:
Compare the true "out the door" price which includes all taxes, fees, 1st month's payment, plus down payment (if any) to make a true "apples to apples" comparison of the same model car with the same leased mileage/# of years within the same Geographic market.

This is a great suggestion and ties in nicely with what I stated above. The actual amount due at signing can vary greatly, depending on the dealer (for example, some may try to convince you that you have to pay the TAVT tax separately). When contacting dealers for a quote, request that all taxes and fees are included in the monthly payment amount. That way you can compare true "apples to apples".

sonnylax said:
2. The Dispo Fee (typically $395) is negotiable just like any other part of the financial transaction. The dealerships can scream all the want about this being imposed by Nissan Finance, but it is a factor to take into consideration when considering the entire lease deal. Some people say they have been able to negotiate this out completely.

One of the ways to get an even better lease deal is to negotiate your best deal via email (Out the Door price plus Monthly Payment times # of remaining months). And then when you get into the Finance Manager's office to close the deal - object to the added Dispo Fee to grind the deal down further. Get up and walk out the door, if you have to. (This is the most powerful tool in your negotiating tool box.) Oftentimes, you can eliminate the cost of the Dispo Fee ($395) in the lease costs through the monthly payments and/or out the door cost.

The disposition fee that is often quoted when deals are posted is one of the "fees" that I didn't understand at first. I wondered if that was something that you pay at signing or at the end when you turn the car in. The way it was explained to me was: 1. you should never pay this fee up front. 2. you only have to pay this fee if you turn the car in at lease end and walk away. If on the other hand you decided to lease another Nissan when your lease is up, or if you wanted to purchase the car for the residual value, then you wouldn't be required to pay this fee.

My Leaf came from Regal Nissan in Roswell. Its the basic model with QC and some customization on the rear-end performed by a Honda CRV last week.

My deal was consummated last December 30 as I literally stood in line to lease a Leaf. I'm guessing that is not the best time to negotiate for a better deal. However, I thought the deal was OK.

So, a friend that lives in Milledgeville hears of my purchase and a few months later gets an amazing deal from the Nissan dealer in Milledgeville. It likely can't be duplicated but hey, it is a dealership located far way from the lines in Atlanta. And, it was a holdover from the prior year.

We tend to think local. Perhaps a trip to a smaller town could be worthwhile.

And the deal was so much better than mine.

I didn't go to Milledgeville, but I went 40 miles to Conyers Nissan.
2015 S w/QC 24 months, VPP, 12k miles per year, $269 per month.
Four other dealers would not come down the last $10 per month
to get the deal.

bheller said:
I didn't go to Milledgeville, but I went 40 miles to Conyers Nissan.
2015 S w/QC 24 months, VPP, 12k miles per year, $269 per month.
Four other dealers would not come down the last $10 per month
to get the deal.

Smart to search a little farther afield, bheller. I've also seen the $279/month VPP deal quoted in town, but not any lower. Without VPP, $329/mo is the best I've seen locally for a 24month lease on an S with QC. The Atlanta dealers seem to have been able to move a lot of Leafs (Leaves?) without budging much on their pricing; so they may not feel the need to improve at all in these last few days of the month.

FWIW, the pricing I received from a few out of state dealers was worse than what I've been seeing in Atlanta. So GA dealers outside of metro Atlanta may indeed be the most competitive. Given the Leaf's range, though, I'd suggest limiting your search to within 80 miles of your home or office, unless the dealer is willing to deliver the car to you...

Back