Level-3 Charging Stations in NY?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It really is a disappointing situation in New York State (one of the reasons I started ChargeNY), but the government is working hard on making things a little better (at least for Level 2). National Grid (using NYSERDA funds) has been installing free Level 2 ChargePoint stations all over the state (including a dual charging station at a bunch of Chili's restaurants).

I wish they would put QCs on the thruway, but from what I have been told, only 1 vendor is allowed to handle all the fuel needs, so it looks like this isn't happening anytime soon. So it looks like only the NYC area has a QC, and probably will be like that for a long time. If anyone has any suggestions on how to get to the right people, do let me know!

LeftieBiker said:
Upstate NY does truly Suck for charging. I already knew this from two-wheeled EV experience (I once gave someone running a garage sale $5.00 to charge, and was refused permission to plug into a gas station outside outlet on the same ride), but it looks a lot better on paper now than it actually is. The hotel in Saratoga Springs with a Chargepoint station won't tell you about it, and it's for their guests only. A major supermarket announced charging stations at five of their stores, but only two of them actually have them, with no timeline for the rest to get it... you get the idea. I got a good deal on my 2013 SV because it doesn't have the QC option; people are looking for it here, and Boy, are they going to be disappointed when they try to use it! But hey, since I only have 120 volt charging at home, when/if I eventually find a level II station I can actually use, *that* will be "fast charging" for me. ;-)

I felt the same way when I first charged on L2. It seemed blazing fast. Now I have one at home, so I'm more used to it. I rarely need more than L1 though, but when I do, I really want QC and not L2. L2 is of extremely limited value to me, except right now it's the best one could hope for. Except I got my 2012 with a QC because I expected that NYS wouldn't install QCs anytime soon (if ever). And if the supermarket you're referring to is price chopper - there is one in Syracuse that shows up on Plug Share, but it's only L1! Talk about useless...

GetOffYourGas said:
LeftieBiker said:
Upstate NY does truly Suck for charging. I already knew this from two-wheeled EV experience (I once gave someone running a garage sale $5.00 to charge, and was refused permission to plug into a gas station outside outlet on the same ride), but it looks a lot better on paper now than it actually is. The hotel in Saratoga Springs with a Chargepoint station won't tell you about it, and it's for their guests only. A major supermarket announced charging stations at five of their stores, but only two of them actually have them, with no timeline for the rest to get it... you get the idea. I got a good deal on my 2013 SV because it doesn't have the QC option; people are looking for it here, and Boy, are they going to be disappointed when they try to use it! But hey, since I only have 120 volt charging at home, when/if I eventually find a level II station I can actually use, *that* will be "fast charging" for me. ;-)

I felt the same way when I first charged on L2. It seemed blazing fast. Now I have one at home, so I'm more used to it. I rarely need more than L1 though, but when I do, I really want QC and not L2. L2 is of extremely limited value to me, except right now it's the best one could hope for. Except I got my 2012 with a QC because I expected that NYS wouldn't install QCs anytime soon (if ever). And if the supermarket you're referring to is price chopper - there is one in Syracuse that shows up on Plug Share, but it's only L1! Talk about useless...
Yea there are plenty of L1 opportunities, I personally stopped talking to store owners about it because it just isn't worth it at those speeds.

We need one of those ABB Terra 53 CJ Multi-Standard Charging Stations at each Thruway rest stop (or at least in key locations between the big cities), it supports CHAdeMO, CCS, so it would be somewhat future proof.

Just a quick update on the 186 Clinton St L3 chargers in Manhattan. Last night I used the L2 charges at this location again. Just for grins, before I left, I tried the L3 charger. This time it didn't ask for a key fob and let me unhook the charger 'nozzle' from the Aerovironment machine by just pressing the button. It took a few tries to unhook it, but it worked. (You need to press the button on the pad, followed by the button on top of the nozzle, and then again with the nozzle lever.) Since my car was at 100% charge, I couldn't actually charge my vehicle with it, but this is an improvement from last time. Hopefully someone else can confirm that L3 charger is now working!

NYC claims two Level III Quick Chargers available for public use as part of their Electric Cab pilot program. Web site also provides opportunity for feedback -- such as not being able to figure out what it takes to get the QC going:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/news/initiative_ev_pilot_program.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lion said:
It really is a disappointing situation in New York State (one of the reasons I started ChargeNY), but the government is working hard on making things a little better (at least for Level 2). National Grid (using NYSERDA funds) has been installing free Level 2 ChargePoint stations all over the state (including a dual charging station at a bunch of Chili's restaurants).

I wish they would put QCs on the thruway, but from what I have been told, only 1 vendor is allowed to handle all the fuel needs, so it looks like this isn't happening anytime soon. So it looks like only the NYC area has a QC, and probably will be like that for a long time. If anyone has any suggestions on how to get to the right people, do let me know!

I wrote to the NYS Thruway authority after hearing about this monopoly on this forum. Here is the response I received today:

"This [EVSE installation] is not solely the fuel operator's decision and we are currently examining our options regarding the implementation of this service."

I was heartened at first, but I can't shake that feeling that the word "solely" in the response could indicate what amounts to veto power by the fuel operators.

CarmineMac said:
lion said:

I wrote to the NYS Thruway authority after hearing about this monopoly on this forum. Here is the response I received today:

"This [EVSE installation] is not solely the fuel operator's decision and we are currently examining our options regarding the implementation of this service."

I was heartened at first, but I can't shake that feeling that the word "solely" in the response could indicate what amounts to veto power by the fuel operators.

That's different from what they told me. Maybe they are making some progress? Or at least talking responsibility for EVSEs?

Last I heard, they are 'talking' about this, but who knows ;) We should probably keep pushing them, the more NYers keep contacting them, the better.

According to my local EV club, Destination Nissan in Albany applied for a permit to install an L-3 charger at their dealership...and it was denied. No further info.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/story/news/local/new-york/2015/03/26/electric-car-charging-station-coming-thruway/70502388/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The NYS Thruway is finally installing some DC Fast Chargers at the Service Areas...

NYLEAF said:
http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/story/news/local/new-york/2015/03/26/electric-car-charging-station-coming-thruway/70502388/

[NYS Thruway Authority] Acting Director of Maintenance and Operations Maria Lehman: "We want to be able to encourage electric vehicles on the Thruway," Lehman said. "But these tend to be cars that are not used for long distances so this is uncharted territory."

Thruway board member Brandon Sall: "Hopefully it's enough for someone to get from Manhattan to Ulster."

These are the people in charge of ensuring that electric vehicles can travel the great state of New York.

CarmineMac said:
NYLEAF said:
http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/story/news/local/new-york/2015/03/26/electric-car-charging-station-coming-thruway/70502388/

[NYS Thruway Authority] Acting Director of Maintenance and Operations Maria Lehman: "We want to be able to encourage electric vehicles on the Thruway," Lehman said. "But these tend to be cars that are not used for long distances so this is uncharted territory."

Thruway board member Brandon Sall: "Hopefully it's enough for someone to get from Manhattan to Ulster."

These are the people in charge of ensuring that electric vehicles can travel the great state of New York.

Boy are they going to be blind-sided in 3 years when there are 4-5 150+ mile BEVs for sale in NYS. With an 80% charge, you can travel ~120 miles, which means stopping at about every third rest stop for a 30 minute charge. That's hardly an inconvenience - I typically have to stop that often anyway.

Back