LEVEL 2 charger recommandation please.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NeilBlanchard said:
I installed a JuiceBox Premium today, with 6/3 and a 50A 240V breaker. It indicates that our '15 Leaf S is charging at ~7kW. Did Nissan change the spec on their charger up to 7.2kW? We have used a nearby public Level 30A charger and we go from ~12 miles to ~91-92 in ~2 hours.

The only bit that I have not gotten working yet is the wireless module pairing with my network - it requires a WPS button on the wireless router, and our Verizon FIOS router doesn't have one of those. Any hints on getting this to work?
I think the JuiceBox Premium's readout in the uLCD is a bit inaccurate. This may be due to the way it measures and uses the AC Voltage in the "kWh" calculation. My JB measures this voltage only at initial power up when the reading is not yet stabilized. Thus, the AC Voltage reading is not represented accurately in real time. I believe this reading is used to calculate kWh drawn from the unit by multiplying AC current time voltage (assuming a unity power factor). By re-plugging in the unit, the reading may become higher or lower - but is still not stabilized - which affects the accuracy of the kWH reading as well. Plus, there will probably be some voltage drop between your outside meter reading and the JB, that is not reflected in this reading when only taken during initial power up. I reported this "bug" to EMW, so hopefully it will be fixed in a future release of JuiceBox firmware.

If your Internet Router does not support the WPS function, you may not be able to "connect" your JuiceBox wirelessly. There is possibly a firmware workaround in the configuration settings for your router, but frankly I would just upgrade to a newer router that supports the WPS feature, which has been a WiFi industry standard for several years.

Thanks for the reply. You are confirming what I thought - that a new wireless router would be the solution. Or, I could see if Verizon could supply us a new one, but I'd rather get my own, I think.

It would be nice to have a more accurate charging total, in particular. This is all new to me, and I hope that new firmware could address this. My unit says between 6.8kW and 7.0kW - it fluctuates every few seconds; so I guess that is going by the amperage changes only?

How does one enter in the actual kWh cost? What are the violet numbers in the top row?

CWO4Mann said:
I have both the original Blink device installed free when the Leaf was delivered. Also I have a 220vac outlet fed by a 60A breaker sited next to it. In winter I use the Blink kluge so I can turn on the heat in the car by my iPhone Ap. Other months I used the 220V outlet, with the EVSE upgrade I purchased from one of us here on the forum. I don't see much difference, but assume the rate of charge is higher with the 60A outlet. Anyone have thoughts on this? Also my portable 10kW genset (modified with a phantom ground plug, per this forum) charges at about the same rate. The genset hardly notices the load, BTW. Any comments or thoughts on this? Appreciate you reading this.
Charging speed is the same with both. You have 3.3 kW charging on the 2011 and the OP has 2015 S without charging package which also is 3.3 kW into the battery charging (3.8 kW from the wall).
Both your Blink and evseupgrade can supply that so will charge at same rate.

I have a Blink unit, second one as first was replaced under warranty due to power wiring overheating.
The Blink SD card corrupted last week and had to pull the connectors to get it to work as dumb EVSE.
I recommend strongly against buying used Blink units.
They are just too risky.
And the company that bought them out from ecotality isn't doing the right thing so I wouldn't buy their new Blink units either.

Not sure if you've ordered yet or if you are in a rush to get your system. I ordered a juicebox 3 weeks ago and finally received an email today that they are backordered on one of the cables but would be more than happy to 'upgrade' me for an additional $35. After 3 weeks and I am just now getting this notice? This indication of poor customer service from the outset swayed me to go with another brand.

maharaj said:
Not sure if you've ordered yet or if you are in a rush to get your system. I ordered a juicebox 3 weeks ago and finally received an email today that they are backordered on one of the cables but would be more than happy to 'upgrade' me for an additional $35. After 3 weeks and I am just now getting this notice? This indication of poor customer service from the outset swayed me to go with another brand.

I ordered a cable from them that was apparently back ordered. I had no communication from them but it showed up two months later.

I think their customer service sucks but sooner or later you will get what you ordered. It will just show up if your experience is like mine.

Today after reading through this thread, I clicked around and found these two similar spec'ed models:

Clipper Creek HCS-40 $590.00 (CC website)
Charging Amperage: 32A (7.7kW max)
Supply Circuit: 208/240V, 40A
Cord: 25' (wall mount)

Bosch EL-51254 $712.39 (Amazon)
Charging Amperage: 30A (7.2kW max)

Anyone have good / bad experiences with either of these? It seems like CC has a great reputation in this forum, so I am assuming the Bosch isn't worth the extra $100+ bucks?

Thanks,
Harry

fletch1027 said:
Today after reading through this thread, I clicked around and found these two similar spec'ed models:

Anyone have good / bad experiences with either of these? It seems like CC has a great reputation in this forum, so I am assuming the Bosch isn't worth the extra $100+ bucks?

Thanks,
Harry
Those are both good units, but you should also consider the Schneider EVlink from Home Depot. Similar specs to the HCS-40* for only $488 with free shipping.

Differences - advantage Clipper Creek
* 32 amp charging vs. 30 amp
* 25' cord vs. 18'
* 3 year warranty vs 18 months (I think)
If none of those are important to you, you should look hard at the EVlink.

fletch1027 said:

Thanks,
Harry

I have the Bosch (18' cord version, which is about $100 cheaper) and have had no issues, seems to be a great unit. Gets be about 35mi of range per hour of charge. Needs to be hard wired to the unit, but you can also buy a NEMA cord and attach it as well, which is what I did so that I could put an outlet in. Depending on what model leaf you have, you may consider an EVSE that can be programmed a bit more. The S model leaf is a pain when it comes to calculating less than 100% charge times.

We bought a HCS-40 for our office around 2 months ago and its been solid. Two of us with LEAFs at the office, so it gets used regularly. For us, the 25 foot cable is a must. They shipped it within 24 hours of ordering. Satisfied.

I concur that an extra long (25') output cable is absolutely essential for almost any x2 EV car family. A 25 footer comes in very handy whenever the EVSE must reach from an AC outlet inside the garage to an EV parked outside on the driveway. In this situation, the cable is often just barely long enough. I have a VOLT parked inside the garage and a RAV4 EV parked on the driveway outside. The two cars are parked end to end separated by the garage door. My EVSE is mounted on a wall well inside the garage but the cable is able to reach the full length of the Volt, out under the garage door, with a few feet to spare even with the RAV EV backed into the driveway as far as it will go. I'm certainly glad I planned ahead and got an EVSE with a long(er) output cable.

Neil
The Juice Box reports wall power. The Nissan 6.6KW is output. According to the JB forums the 6.6 can pull up to 7.4KW from the wall at max load.

Arddrea said:
Neil
The Juice Box reports wall power. The Nissan 6.6KW is output. According to the JB forums the 6.6 can pull up to 7.4KW from the wall at max load.

If this is true, it would explain why my EVSE charges slightly faster than 6.6 kw/h.

tkdbrusco said:
Arddrea said:
Neil

If this is true, it would explain why my EVSE charges slightly faster than 6.6 kw/h.
Everything I have read on MNL says the LEAF 6.6 kW charger is from the wall, with maximum 6.0 kW DC into the battery. From the wall 27.5 amps at 240V.

JB forum is likely wrong.

They may have been confused because Nissan rated the 3.3 kW on board charger based on output. But then changed to input power on the higher kW charger, probably because they like saying it has double the charging rate.

It does charge in close to half as much time due to better efficiency. Pump overhead is using a smaller %.

But they did not double the charger output rate.

I've been reading this thread lately as I have been looking for a level two charger for our new 2015 Leaf SV. After lots of research I purchased the Clipper Creek HCS – 40. It's very simple design and easy to install. I kind of liked some of the other units with the flashing lights and timers but in the end The smaller more simple form factor worked out best

I installed the hardwired unit this afternoon and WOW!!!

Installing a level to charger is a total game changer As it now charges a lot faster. In two hours time I went from 42% to 92% charge

Back