Less than 50 cars on the boat?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timaz

It looks like there will be very few deliveries in the next few weeks! Looks like only 30+ people on the spreadsheet have a 1/5 date. Does this mean less than 50 cars on the first boat? Are there cars at Long Beach? This is getting really exciting!

My estimated delivery date has bounced around so much I have given up trying to keep track. That being said it is right now showing week of January 05, 2011

The Leafs with vin #`s are likely either here or on the December 20 boat. About 125 cars. It is only a guess but it is logical

Timaz said:
It looks like there will be very few deliveries in the next few weeks! Looks like only 30+ people on the spreadsheet have a 1/5 date. Does this mean less than 50 cars on the first boat? Are there cars at Long Beach? This is getting really exciting!
Don't forget ... this forum has grown a LOT, but still represents nowhere near 100% of the LEAF orders.

A car-shipping ship typically carries thousands of cars, but not all of them are LEAFs.

Judging from the reported VIN numbers, about 100 MIGHT have arrived (several weeks ago), most of which have yet to be delivered.

Today, if still at Nissan's Long Beach (LA) harbor "parking lot", they are "taking a bath" ... again.

Presumably another "batch" of recently-sprouted LEAFs will be arriving tomorrow (or soon). Hopefully, this 2nd "pile" will contain more than 100 LEAFs.

If we knew how many Leafs are being produced at the Opama plant each week that would give us a better idea of how many deliverys there will be in Dec,Jan, and Feb. We may receive some indication of that on Monday when there will be news coverage of the first deliverys in Japan. There is a rumor that the 2,200 dealers in Japan will receive demos as well on or about Dec 20.. If this is correct, this would indicate that Nissan has ramped up to about 500 Leafs a week

The plant can probably produce thousands of vehicles a day. The actual production is PROBABLY done in "batches" of similar-type vehicles, all scheduled by computer, depending upon demand, parts availability, and the desires of the Nissan management.

Assuming enough available parts, the plant could probably produce a thousand or two LEAFs a day.

So, the actual production, at this point is most likely limited by sales decisions, ... and quite possibly critical parts availability.

garygid said:
The plant can probably produce thousands of vehicles a day.
Eventually they can produce some 50K cars a year - or some 130 cars a day.

Nissan's new plants in Smyrna, Chennai, China etc can produce some 400K cars a year.

update :

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=216323

The Oppama plant, which has capacity to produce 480,000 vehicles per year, made 300,000 last year.

garygid said:
...The actual production is PROBABLY done in "batches" of similar-type vehicles, all scheduled by computer, depending upon demand, parts availability, and the desires of the Nissan management....
I toured the Volvo factory a few years ago. The line had almost every type of Volvo mixed, in no particular order. Parts were queued up by computer and line workers at each station trained for all models coming through. No "batching" required.

The Nissan plant is probably similar, and 50,000 LEAFs will barely make a dent in the total production. Supply of batteries is likely to be the critical factor.

Supply of old plastic bottles, corn byproducts, chargers, or inverters are not likely on the "critical" list. :lol:

sparky said:
garygid said:
...The actual production is PROBABLY done in "batches" of similar-type vehicles, all scheduled by computer, depending upon demand, parts availability, and the desires of the Nissan management....
I toured the Volvo factory a few years ago. The line had almost every type of Volvo mixed, in no particular order. Parts were queued up by computer and line workers at each station trained for all models coming through. No "batching" required.

The Harley-Davidson plant in York was the same way. Each bike came through with the right parts, for different states (emissions), different models, and some with customer names on them.

garygid said:
A car-shipping ship typically carries thousands of cars, but not all of them are LEAFs.

Judging from the reported VIN numbers, about 100 MIGHT have arrived (several weeks ago), most of which have yet to be delivered.

Today, if still at Nissan's Long Beach (LA) harbor "parking lot", they are "taking a bath" ... again.

Presumably another "batch" of recently-sprouted LEAFs will be arriving tomorrow (or soon). Hopefully, this 2nd "pile" will contain more than 100 LEAFs.

It will have MORE than the first shipment.

I think it safe to say that we have no idea how many cars are already here, how many are coming and when they will begin deliveries. Not trying to be a thread stomper or anything its just we have been around this block a half dozen times already and since found out we knew nothing about what was really going on.

Back