Legrand EV Level 2 Car Charging station

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This unit (L2EVSE16) was recommended to me by the local power company when they were doing the site survey for the separate EV meter. It is a simple unit to install and just works. I have had one problem with it and the company is VERY responsive. I am using it on a Leaf. It charges in less time than the car estimates.

Simplicity is important to me. This unit does exactly what I want - charge my Leaf.

I noticed an issue with my Legrand EVSE yesterday. The point where the big orange cable meets the J1772 handle has cracked, exposing the wiring inside. I've already called Legrand and it sounds like someone will be out to inspect and hopefully repair.

254448_4007403307790_15978192_n.jpg

247307_4007403547796_480000045_n.jpg

Following up on my previous post (couple years late)...they sent me a replacement unit for the cracked handle and offered to reimburse me the cost of having an electrician come and swap them. I decided to just take the units apart and swap the actual cordset, since that was the only part that was bad.

However, tonight I'm having an entirely new and unrelated issue with the station. It won't charge my car at all. It has a solid red fault light which, according to the user guide, means I need to unplug the cord from the car...except it's not plugged in at all. I've reset the power breaker a number of times, no change. The car is almost fully charged so I'm leaving the breaker off overnight and hopefully that will reset it. Any ideas?

Just to follow up, the error did not clear when I reset the breaker. I ultimately decided to e-mail LeGrand, and they confirmed that the station is essentially permanently broken. No idea how it happened or why, but they're going to send me a replacement unit. Only problem is that they no longer manufacture this 16 amp unit, so they have to send me a 30 amp unit. I'm going to have to pay out of pocket to have my station rewired for 30 amps and have a new 40 amp breaker installed to replace the 20 amp that this station is on. It sucks, especially since my lease on the Leaf ends in April and I'm not planning on getting a new EV for at least a few months. I may actually move out of this house this summer which means it was a total waste of money. :(

We can rent you a JESLA with a 16 amp plug (NEMA 5-20), so you might have to swap out the wall outlet.

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JESLA-Rental-JESLARent.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I appreciate the suggestion Tony, but my current station is hard wired, so I'd have to pay to have an outlet installed anyway. I'm not sure if that would even be to code, because it's on the outside of my house (114 year old house, no garage). That cost, plus the cost of the rental, would probably come close to the cost for rewiring and installing the replacement station.

Interesting problem. You can buy an outdoor box for about $50 to mount the electric outlet, and it shouldn't take long to have somebody mount it. Isn't there a handy neighbor or friend that could help you?

p_SCW_262_07.jpg

Back