Leafs Wont Charge On New 80A Clipper Creek, What Gives!?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaslessInSeattle

So, I own a Leaf and a Tesla S and purchased a J1772 Clipper Creek 100, which charges up to 80A's. I've put it outside and was about to add it to plugshare when I found it won't charge any model year Leaf but it will charge a Ford Focus Electric. Clipper Creek states this is on Nissan to fix.

Does anyone know if there is a solution for this in the works? I'm helping to bring the Sun Country Highway to the US. If we can't find a fast solution to this, a lower amperage unit may have to be chosen so that everyone can use on the network for now, which feels like a bit of a step backward. I was very hopeful that high amperage J1772 was the common ground that all makes and models would work with and thus find support for install to augment both the Quick Charging Network and Tesla's Super Charging network.

Any input would be appreciated!

That is the software fix being done by dealers for the PDM issue. Schedule your local LEAF dealer for the update. Call the Nissan Leaf support line (877-664-2738) to open a case before calling the dealer -

Call Clipper Creek... The Tesla Roadster also has an issue charging on a CS-100 (CS-90 is the largest that works). I believe there is an internal DIP switch to set the charging current, you might be able to temporarily turn it down to 72A or 75A, and it might work.

Worst case scenario you can email Chris Howell and get an OpenEVSE board to run your CS-100 temporarily, the maximum current is easily adjustable on OpenEVSE

DarkStar said:
PDM issue on all Leaf years? Maybe just 2013...
There is another update for the 2011-12 years that is supposed to address battery capacity reporting accuracy. It also says it addresses compatibility with EVSEs. We've all assumed they were referring to the issues people had seen with GE Wattstations, but maybe it would help with this?

I've had the update, still no love.

braineo said:
That is the software fix being done by dealers for the PDM issue. Schedule your local LEAF dealer for the update. Call the Nissan Leaf support line (877-664-2738) to open a case before calling the dealer -

EVSE's change the duty cycle of the pilot signal to indicate to the car how much current they can provide. Perhaps at 80 amps the duty cycle becomes long enough (higher duty indicates more amperage capability from the EVSE) to confuse the Leaf's charger...

The Leaf isn't compliant with the FULL J-1772 specification, at 80A, the pilot signal is almost continuously on (%96)... See the equation here: http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/J1772Basics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I charge my '13 on a Clipper Creek CS-100 every day. There is either an issue with the CS-100 or your Leaf. Since it works with your Tesla I would assume that it's an issue with your Leaf.

that's encouraging! the unit they sent didn't work at all, then they sent me a new circuit board and then it would charge but only the Tesla S. hmm, anyone else have a CS 100 and could tell me if it's working on their Leaf and what model year it is? I've got calls into Nissan, Tesla and Clipper Creek. My first shot through Nissan customer care came back with a solid "no, Leafs are not designed to accept a charge from an 80A station and it will take more than a firmware upgrade to change that". Tesla had a similar response on the roadster. I've pressed both Nissan and Tesla to double and triple check that the techs understand that I'm not talking about the cars charging at 80A, but simply plugging into an 80A capable charging station. Clipper Creek says they are looking into it...

jelloslug said:
I charge my '13 on a Clipper Creek CS-100 every day. There is either an issue with the CS-100 or your Leaf. Since it works with your Tesla I would assume that it's an issue with your Leaf.

GaslessInSeattle said:
that's encouraging! the unit they sent didn't work at all, then they sent me a new circuit board and then it would charge but only the Tesla S. hmm, anyone else have a CS 100 and could tell me if it's working on their Leaf and what model year it is? I've got calls into Nissan, Tesla and Clipper Creek. My first shot through Nissan customer care came back with a solid "no, Leafs are not designed to accept a charge from an 80A station and it will take more than a firmware upgrade to change that". Tesla had a similar response on the roadster. I've pressed both Nissan and Tesla to double and triple check that the techs understand that I'm not talking about the cars charging at 80A, but simply plugging into an 80A capable charging station. Clipper Creek says they are looking into it...

jelloslug said:
What current will your CS-100 charge your Tesla at? The Model S that we charge on the CS-100 will only let you go to 74 amps.

jelloslug said:
What current will your CS-100 charge your Tesla at? The Model S that we charge on the CS-100 will only let you go to 74 amps.

That's because the J-1772 plug on the CS-100 is only rated at 75A, J-1772 can go to a maximum of 80A, but I doubt Clipper Creek would allow 80A though a 75A rated connector. My ITT J-1772 cable on my OpenEVSE is the same thing, I could set the pilot signal to 80A (it's on a 100A breaker), but then I am exceeding the design limit of the J-1772 cable/connector I have.

The CS 100 was held back to 75A by software awaiting UL certification, I was told. It has been unleashed and now charges at the full 80A. I'm seeing 238V at 79A and a very nice rated range rate of 64 mph added, better than Tesla's HPWC or so it seems.

mitch672 said:
jelloslug said:

That's because the J-1772 plug on the CS-100 is only rated at 75A, J-1772 can go to a maximum of 80A, but I doubt Clipper Creek would allow 80A though a 75A rated connector. My ITT J-1772 cable on my OpenEVSE is the same thing, I could set the pilot signal to 80A (it's on a 100A breaker), but then I am exceeding the design limit of the J-1772 cable/connector I have.

also tried a 2013 on the same EVSE, wouldn't work.

arnolddeleon said:
Diode busted in the LEAF? I recall that some EVSE didn't check for it so you might not notice it is busted until you try an EVSE that cared.

arnold

Ah, now I understand! yours works with the Leaf because it is one of the 75A CS 100's, it doesn't go to 80A. after talking with CC today, they say the Leaf gets picky right around 79A, it's only been an issue since they upped the firmware to allow the full 80A... they are working with Nissan to solve the issue quickly.

jelloslug said:
GaslessInSeattle said:

jelloslug said:

GaslessInSeattle said:
The CS 100 was held back to 75A by software awaiting UL certification, I was told. It has been unleashed and now charges at the full 80A. I'm seeing 238V at 79A and a very nice rated range rate of 64 mph added, better than Tesla's HPWC or so it seems.
Yours must be different internally than ours since it can go up to 79 on the Tesla. We have had ours since about April with no updates from Clipper Creek.

GaslessInSeattle said:
Ah, now I understand! yours works with the Leaf because it is one of the 75A CS 100's, it doesn't go to 80A. after talking with CC today, they say the Leaf gets picky right around 79A, it's only been an issue since they upped the firmware to allow the full 80A... they are working with Nissan to solve the issue quickly. ...
Did anyone bother to check and see whether the Tesla J1772 adapter is actually good for 80a? It would be a bummer if it melted...

Anyway Gasless, it seems that if you want to be able to charge LEAFs, you're going to have to have it dialed back. Even if Nissan DOES create a fix, I suspect it will be a year before it's deployed in large numbers.

Well, if you want to be pragmatic about it, the difference between 75 and 80 amps would barely be noticeable in charging time. I'd just leave it at 75 and be done with it.

davewill said:
Anyway Gasless, it seems that if you want to be able to charge LEAFs, you're going to have to have it dialed back. Even if Nissan DOES create a fix, I suspect it will be a year before it's deployed in large numbers.

Back