Leafs Wont Charge On New 80A Clipper Creek, What Gives!?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
davewill said:
... Did anyone bother to check and see whether the Tesla J1772 adapter is actually good for 80a? It would be a bummer if it melted...

Tesla is the company that successfully lobbied SAE to get 80 amps (from 30 amps) on the J1772 standard.

It would be hard to believe they wouldn't have an 80 amp adapter. Plus, melting parts can happen regardless of the rating.

Just a quick revival of this thread.
My Model S has been charging from an OpenEVSE based EVSE I did three years ago at 80 amps with no issue. (for those interested, thermal imaging of the Tesla 1772 adaptor shows no sign of heat build up at 80 amps and I have well over 50K miles worth of charging on this set up)

My sister in law just got a 2013 Leaf and it acknowledges it is plugged into the OpenEVSE yet refuses to charge. The Leaf does charge without issue on every other public 1772 charger.

By chance has the "80 amp" setting been confirmed as the cause and has Nissan come out with a cure/patch?

Thanks Much,
Bill

lolachampcar said:
By chance has the "80 amp" setting been confirmed as the cause and has Nissan come out with a cure/patch
Seems unlikely that that would be a problem, but since the OpenEVSE can be set to a lower amperage you should be able to set it lower and see if the LEAF will charge on it then

lolachampcar said:
Just a quick revival of this thread.
My Model S has been charging from an OpenEVSE based EVSE I did three years ago at 80 amps with no issue. (for those interested, thermal imaging of the Tesla 1772 adaptor shows no sign of heat build up at 80 amps and I have well over 50K miles worth of charging on this set up)

My sister in law just got a 2013 Leaf and it acknowledges it is plugged into the OpenEVSE yet refuses to charge. The Leaf does charge without issue on every other public 1772 charger.

By chance has the "80 amp" setting been confirmed as the cause and has Nissan come out with a cure/patch?

Thanks Much,
Bill

Isn't this just a PDM update? The car is probably still under warranty, so just call a dealer and get them to fix it.

Back