Leaf's Roadside Assistance Warning!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awesomo3k

So this past Thursday, after a long day at work, I decided to buy some groceries. I drove to the grocery store and did my usual thing. When I got back to my Leaf, I discovered that one of my tires was completely flat, so I called roadside assistance, after all it's free for 3 years. I was explained that my Leaf does not have a "suitable" spare tire, and that it would need to be towed to a dealership at no cost for me. But since it's after hours, they can't take the car directly to the dealership, they will have to take it to a storage lot, and the re-transport it the following day while the dealership is open. I agreed to this since I could take a few hours off of work on Friday to wait for my flat to be fixed. Once the tow truck arrives, and loads my car, he tells me that they are not allowed to provide "taxi service"*, and that he cannot give me a ride home (that is less than a mile away). So fast forward to Friday morning, and several phone calls to the dealership, I was told that my car was not ready, and that they would call me when it was. Friday goes by... Saturday morning goes by... Saturday afternoon, I'm at Costco with my gf and I receive a phone call stating that they just "received" my car and they would look into what kind of damage it was, and based on that how much it will cost and then call me back. I never got a call back. Today today being Sunday I drive to the dealership in my gf's car to find out what's going on only to find out the service dept is closed on Sundays. Now I have to wait till Monday since they will not release my car to me without someone in the service dept signing off on it. Is this serious the norm for Nissan's roadside assistance? How has everyone else's experience been with after hour roadside assistance with a flat tire been? I'm so infuriated by Nissan right now that I will never buy another car from them.

tl;dr: I got a flat Thur night, car needed to be towed to dealership, 3 days later the car is still not fixed.

*I talked to a buddy of mine, who has AAA and he said they have the same rules, they are an automobile club, not a membership club, meaning they will help and assist with your vehicle, not you. I can't say for certain if this is true or not, but thought I would mention it.

Bummer! What a terrible experience.

The first time I got a flat it was a sidewall cut, so not repairable. I called AAA and had them tow me home. Naturally my wife and I were able to ride along in the cab. The next day I had AAA tow the car from home to a repair shop I had decided on. They counted it as two tows against my limit, but it was fairly painless from our perspective. According to the Warranty Booklet, Roadside Assistance only tows to a Nissan dealer (which will charge you a lot for tire repair), though some people here have reported getting towed home.

The second time I got a flat it turned out to be a nail and a relatively slow leak. I was able to pump the tire up enough using the included pump (but NOT the goop! Don't use that!) to drive home safely. The next day I pumped it up again and drove to a neighborhood shop, where they patched it. Based on that experience I now keep an inexpensive patch kit in the car.

Ray

ITestStuff said:
awesomo3k said:
tl;dr: I got a flat Thur night, car needed to be towed to dealership, 3 days later the car is still not fixed.
To summarize even further: User error.

Please explain your logic... I did everything by the book

Wow! That's one complicated flat tire issue. :( That's why I purchased and mounted a spare tire, for less than $75, including a jack. Now, I'll probably never have a flat; but if I do, I won't run into this type of problem.

Well, I can say from my own experience that that is not necessarily true for AAA... I have the Plus service and I used them a couple of times with a previous car. Not only would they take it anywhere I wanted up to 100 miles away, they happily let us ride in the cab with them. Because of the Leaf having no spare, I consider carrying a tire repair kit and the necessary tools, AND having such a service as mandatory.

Whatever you do though, DON'T use the Goop that comes with the car! It will make it very expensive in the long-run!

awesomo3k said:
I talked to a buddy of mine, who has AAA and he said they have the same rules, they are an automobile club, not a membership club, meaning they will help and assist with your vehicle, not you. I can't say for certain if this is true or not, but thought I would mention it.

Sorry but flat tire. i would have never towed it anywhere but HOME. it would have been a slow leak unless someone slashed you. i would remove tire, use other car, get it fixed and put back on car myself.

i dont do dealerships if i can avoid it. that is why i rotate my own tires, change my own air filters, etc.

I appreciate OP taking the time to let us know what the included roadside assistance does/does not cover. I learned some things I didn't know. Hopefully you can work things out soon!

We did purchase a spare tire and jack for the LEAF, but they are not mounted in the car. We only take them along if we will travel some distance from home. Otherwise, we just plan to take them to the disabled LEAF if/when needed using a different car.

I was going to dispute some of the OPs post but glad I did not. When I was towed I called both my ins and Nissan and my ins company was first to call back and confirm.

I got a flat in my work parking garage a few months ago. I discovered a screw in the tread. My SO picked up a plug kit ($12), brought it down and plugged it, then our Security staff refilled the tire with their air compressor (perhaps I could've use the air can in the car kit?). I keep that handy plug kit in the car.

This isn't a problem unique to the Leaf. More and more the manufacturers are trying to save money and space by not including a spare. This sounds fine but all cars can get a flat. I'd hope that going forward they collectively can come up with a better process for fixing them when they occur.

The "service" he got at the Nissan dealership was horrible but it's consistent with my experience. Again unfortunately.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Sorry but flat tire. i would have never towed it anywhere but HOME. it would have been a slow leak unless someone slashed you.
Tire might be failing or have separated from the rim. A pump and/or plug set won't help in those situations.

derkraut said:
Wow! That's one complicated flat tire issue. :( That's why I purchased and mounted a spare tire, for less than $75, including a jack. Now, I'll probably never have a flat; but if I do, I won't run into this type of problem.
I had considered doing this, but I figured what the heck, it's a 2 yr lease, and I have roadside assistance. Now I know better.

eclecticflower said:
I got a flat in my work parking garage a few months ago. I discovered a screw in the tread. My SO picked up a plug kit ($12), brought it down and plugged it, then our Security staff refilled the tire with their air compressor (perhaps I could've use the air can in the car kit?). I keep that handy plug kit in the car.
You should have a pump in the tool area of your trunk. You don't have to use the goop with it but you can use it to fill the tire after putting in the plug (page 6-5 in the manual). I carry a pump with a light in my car so I can do a roadside tire repair at night. [It is so dark around here that I can see the Milky Way from inside my house when I turn out the lights, which I very much enjoy.]
SanDust said:
...Tire might be failing or have separated from the rim. A pump and/or plug set won't help in those situations.
In that case getting towed home still works if you have a jack (I purchased a 2006 Altima jack from eBay for $35). Take off the wheel and damaged tire and take it to a tire shop using another car. After calling to make sure they have a suitable replacement tire.

In the case of a non-repairable tire, I'd rather deal with a wheel rather than leave the car at a dealer or other repair place because then you are stuck with whatever tire they have in stock at the place you left the car.

The no-ride-home thing makes sense to me. I've ridden along to where my car is going, but wouldn't expect the tow truck driver to take me someplace different. That said, this is the first time I've heard of being towed to a storage lot. It sounds like the tow company was taking Nissan for a ride by racking up an extra storage fee. The times I've been broke down after hours, the car (and ME) were taken to the shop anyway, and I would simply leave the car there for the next morning. The shops usually have a drop box to put a service request form and the keys into.

davewill said:
this is the first time I've heard of being towed to a storage lot. It sounds like the tow company was taking Nissan for a ride by racking up an extra storage fee.

Nissan roadside assistance told me this would happen, so nothing shady was going on from the towing company.

I've used AAA towing twice in the last few years and they've been prompt and courteous. Last time they sent a brand new flatbed.

I always carry a heavy duty compressor and dynaplug kit.

awesomo3k said:
ITestStuff said:
awesomo3k said:
To summarize even further: User error.
Please explain your logic... I did everything by the book
True. Unfortunately the book isn't always right. Here is what I would have done:
  1. First, get the pump out of the back of the car and try to pump up the tire. DON'T use the goop.
    • If you can get it up to a decent pressure, and you are less than a mile from home (as you said), drive it slowly and gently home. If the car starts weaving halfway there, stop and pump it up again.
    • The next day, find a nearby mechanic who can patch the tire. Pump it up again and drive it there.
    • Depending on your financial position and your tolerance for problems, you may want to live with the patched tire, or you can take your time to get a good deal on a new one.
  2. If you can't get any pressure into the tire, then it's time to call for help.
    • I have another towing service, and you probably should, too.
    • I would use that in most cases in preference to the Nissan service.
    • The exception would be if the cost of using the other service exceeded the amount you figure Nissan will gouge you plus your expense and inconvenience of getting home.

Ray

awesomo3k said:
davewill said:
this is the first time I've heard of being towed to a storage lot. It sounds like the tow company was taking Nissan for a ride by racking up an extra storage fee.
Nissan roadside assistance told me this would happen, so nothing shady was going on from the towing company.
Doesn't mean the tow company isn't doing it to pad their bill. Just means that Nissan is OK with it. Slight possibility that the dealer in question doesn't accept cars left after hours, but I bet they do.

Back