Leaf vs Volt - The Final SHOWDOWN!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SanDust said:
The Leaf is quick off the line but the 8:1 fixed reduction gear results in lack of performance and efficiency after about 40 MPH. Still more than adequate for just about anything other than the track. For better performance the Leaf will need an actual transmission or maybe the high torque motors we see in the Spark EV.
How does a Tesla do it? Still single fixed reduction gear.

I love punching the pedal in my Leaf. I dont care if its technically slower than other ICE cars...

What the Leaf has done is made me a MORE agressive driver. I 'floor it' more than I ever have. I now dodge in and out of traffic more than I ever have... Its the fast response.

On the routes I dirve everyone sloooowly accelerates... I assume to save gas. However - in the Leaf I feel like I am sitting there waiting...

Something else I found interesting... sometimes the quick 0-40 time really gives me what I need to make the next stoplight. I used to accelerate sloooow like everyone else but would hit many of stoplights... so I either went slooower to wait out the red light without stopping or just had to stop at every light. I find because I am going faster most of the time I can make the lights. For example, in this 40mph zone on the way home... I punch it to 45-50pmh, coast back to the speed limit, and make it through the next lgiht... everyone else is 100 yards behind me and they dont make the light.

I would have never done this in my old car... to do the same thing I would need to get it up to 4,000 RPM making a ton of noise... worry that I may damage teh engine somehow, and I could actually see my gas gauge move down lol.

I dont feel loud doing it in the Leaf, I dont feel like I am going to blow my engine up doing it and it does not cost me as much (out of pocket) in fuel to do it. Those things combined make it a fun experience for me.

dm33 said:
How does a Tesla do it? Still single fixed reduction gear.
With a 416 hp (310 kW) motor. (Leaf has a 110 hp/ 80 kW motor). The gear ratio is even higher at 9.75:1.

Back