Leaf tomorrow? Last minute things to check for?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if the car does not have heated seats and steering wheel, I would seriously think this one through. preheating goes a long way to staying warm in the cold if your commute is not long, but heated seats combined with prewarming make it possible to nearly eliminate climate control use while remaining quite comfortable, substantially improving range for even longish distance travel. It's easy coming from an ICE to see the CWP as a luxury whereas once you get familiar with the EV dynamics of not having waste heat from the engine to keep you warm, it's more of a necessity. If your commute is not long, you may decide it's a non-issue.

Vanfam said:
I am in Oregon, and it is a 2011 SL, with a quick charge port and the floor mats, for 34K. I have called around to a bunch of dealers, and the 11's seem a few thousand dollars cheaper and the dealers seem willing to come down a little from MSRP whereas they are not willing to come down on the 2012's. It is also difficult to find an 11 with a quick charge port around here. Most don't have it now. Does that seem like a decent deal? Oh yea and it is a "demo" but it has not been titled and is therefore a "new" car. But is there a federal rule regarding the $7500 with regard to it being a "demo" or having miles on it?
Thanks

Vanfam said:
I am in Oregon, and it is a 2011 SL, with a quick charge port and the floor mats, for 34K. I have called around to a bunch of dealers, and the 11's seem a few thousand dollars cheaper and the dealers seem willing to come down a little from MSRP whereas they are not willing to come down on the 2012's. It is also difficult to find an 11 with a quick charge port around here. Most don't have it now. Does that seem like a decent deal? Oh yea and it is a "demo" but it has not been titled and is therefore a "new" car. But is there a federal rule regarding the $7500 with regard to it being a "demo" or having miles on it?
Thanks
Some Oregon dealers are willing to sell 2012 models below MSRP, as you can see from my signature below. That's for orders via the Nissan website, not orphans/demos on the lot (I have no idea about those).

Nevertheless, a 2012 SL with QC will be somewhat more expensive than the deal you have lined up for the 2011. One thing to consider, as GaslessInSeattle mentions above, does the 2011 demo have the "cold weather package"? If not, do you think your driving will be at the limit of the car's range when using the heater in winter? [The advantage of the 2012 models (and 2011s with CWP) is having steering wheel and seat heaters, which allow increased comfort without using the power-hog cabin heater while driving.]

If your expected driving distance won't be stretching the car's range in winter you might just go with the cheaper 2011 and enjoy. But I really appreciate my 2012 with the steering wheel and seat heaters; I rarely have to use the cabin heater and I drive in cold weather a lot.

dgpcolorado said:
Some Oregon dealers are willing to sell 2012 models below MSRP, as you can see from my signature below. That's for orders via the Nissan website, not orphans/demos on the lot (I have no idea about those)

So was the price for your Leaf (MSRP - 5%) + $850 (destination charge)?

GaslessInSeattle said:
if the car does not have heated seats and steering wheel, I would seriously think this one through.

There have been several MNLers using aftermarket seat heaters, so that is another option if it doesn't.

gsleaf said:
dgpcolorado said:
Some Oregon dealers are willing to sell 2012 models below MSRP, as you can see from my signature below. That's for orders via the Nissan website, not orphans/demos on the lot (I have no idea about those)

So was the price for your Leaf (MSRP - 5%) + $850 (destination charge)?
Yes. The initial quote was in dollars off MSRP (car + accessories) + D&D and worked out to a bit over 4% discount. But the final cost was -5.2%, a bit less than I expected. I also got a quote from a Vancouver, WA, dealer at ~$1000 off MSRP, IIRC. So not all the below MSRP deals are in California (although there weren't any in my state of Colorado last I heard).

Given the negative experiences some people have had with dealers I should also mention that Colvin Auto was a delight to work with from start (the GM responded to my internet inquiry) to finish (the LEAF salesman kept me informed all along the way and the finance guy was very straightforward in his explanations). I hope that the negative dealer experiences reported by others at MNL are the outliers and that mine was more typical.

If you are tall, be careful assuming an aftermarket seat heater is going to do the trick. I'm 6'3", the seat heater we added to our 2011 took up precious leg room, pushing my knee against the console. Also, the temp of your hands significantly effects how cold you feel... the heated steering wheel can't be added later and it really helps me feel warmer without using the climate control heat.

lpickup said:
GaslessInSeattle said:
if the car does not have heated seats and steering wheel, I would seriously think this one through.

There have been several MNLers using aftermarket seat heaters, so that is another option if it doesn't.

GaslessInSeattle said:
...Also, the temp of your hands significantly effects how cold you feel... the heated steering wheel can't be added later and it really helps me feel warmer without using the climate control heat.
+1!

I use the heated steering wheel far more than the heated seats. Preheating + heated steering wheel + being dressed for winter = comfort (for me). If you had told me that before I bought the car I wouldn't have believed it.

... the heated steering wheel can't be added later and it really helps me feel warmer without using the climate control heat.

Oh yes it can :D http://www.amazon.com/TruePower-Heated-Steering-Wheel-Cover/dp/B0076WUD2K" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back