Leaf stops charging on L2 chargers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pgrokkos said:
+1 on the Software Patch being replied immediately at Nissan Dealership when I went in for Level 2 charging problems on 2013 SL.

Owned by SL for 4 months and 3500 miles. Typically charge using the provided trickle charger over night. About 2x a week I charge at a public free level 2 charger at work. About 3 weeks ago, the Level 2 charger started shutting down before reaching full charge with the yellow car/electric fault symbol appearing when I started the car.
Anyone else have the 'bulletin' software fix applied and can confirm no issues with Level 2 charging after that?
Yes. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=329929#p329929" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. No problem charging since then.

BTW, you are using EVSEs at work (and home). Level 1 and level 2 AC charging equipment w/a J1772 handle are EVSEs, NOT chargers. The charger is on-board the car. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14728&p=332668#p332668" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Crap! I can't add PDFs. If you want your own copy, go to http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase.html?catid=783#.UosiIicVCEQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, register for a free account and download NTB13-069 via the 3.5" disk icon. You can only d/l 2 files/day w/a free account.

I had my Leaf S in the shop for two weeks. The dealership worked with Nissan engineering who finally gave approval to the service department to go ahead with the replacement of the PDM. The Leaf is still an "Experimental Car" and unfortunately repairs are not a turnkey operation as with ICE cars. Nissan was nice enough to pick up the tab for a loaner Nissan Rogue though.

jelloslug said:
leogomez said:
Same problem here. I Plugged at a BLINK L2 station, and after 3 hours, the dash lights shot off. The station displayed the message "FULLY CHARGED". I Turned car on, but it was only charged to about 60% capacity. It happened twice. I left the car at the dealer on June 28, 2013. The dealer said "Nissan Northamerica is aware of the problem. The problem will be fixed with a softaware upgrade AVAILABLE NEXT WEEK" The dealer wanted to dump the car back on me. Needless to say, I refused. I called NTSHA and reported the problem. I encourage everyone to do the same.
You should have called the Nissan EV line. They will actually do something.

Sorry, but the Nissan EV line won't do a thing. I had my leaf almost catch on fire as it was being charged and now my wife and I are scarred to charge the thing anywhere for fear of liability, damages, etc. We started a case with their Consumer Affairs dept to try to get out go our lease and they wouldn't help.

boydleaf said:
Sorry, but the Nissan EV line won't do a thing. I had my leaf almost catch on fire as it was being charged and now my wife and I are scarred to charge the thing anywhere for fear of liability, damages, etc. We started a case with their Consumer Affairs dept to try to get out go our lease and they wouldn't help.
They do if the car is actually broken. Yours isn't. You just want to get out of your lease.

I have a 2013s and am having these issues now. I just bought the car a week ago. I have 599 miles on it. I hadn't had any faults in the car but 3 times now the evse l2 at work and home has faulted where it just stopped charging. I was able to unplug and plug it back in and complete the charge. I fear this is the start of the issue being described taking it to the dealer Friday.

I have a 2012 leaf. 59k miles. Came out to car not charging. the breaker had popped. Reset but car wont charge. Evse says ready. I plug in. Switches to charging then 5 to 10 seconds later stops charging evse is back to green ready.

I have the yellow car with exclamation point on the dash. Suggestions?

Check error codes with Leaf Spy. If it was an intermittent issue, it may charge after clearing codes. The question is why did breaker trip? If charger electronics failed shorted, that would explain tripped breaker, but would be a permanent fault. I have had public charging stations set error codes when communication between car and EVSE failed. In some cases, I had to clear codes before car would charge again. If you are still under the 5-year, 60,000-mile EV System warranty, you may want to take it to the dealer to document the issue before you reach 60k miles.

hell yes. first thing in the morning. I mean I had to stop using it immediately as I can not charge it at all.

its scaring the **** out of me. 700 more miles and I would be SOL on this. I am going to see if they will let me purchase some sort of extended warranty at least just for the expensive bits (motor charging system controller etc..) ie the EV bits.

its truly scaring the crap out of me as I depend on the car for work literally. I can't afford gas AND the $300 monthly payment on the car. I can only afford the $300 payment BECAUSE its less than I was spending in gas per month. I still owe $12k.

really really freaking over this. I will try to find my dongle and try leafspy tomorrow. I did not know it could clear codes.

or should I just goto the dealer and not mess with leafspy? I have sufficient charge to make it to the dealer.

Back