Leaf stops charging on L2 chargers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same problem here. I Plugged at a BLINK L2 station, and after 3 hours, the dash lights shot off. The station displayed the message "FULLY CHARGED". I Turned car on, but it was only charged to about 60% capacity. It happened twice. I left the car at the dealer on June 28, 2013. The dealer said "Nissan Northamerica is aware of the problem. The problem will be fixed with a softaware upgrade AVAILABLE NEXT WEEK" The dealer wanted to dump the car back on me. Needless to say, I refused. I called NTSHA and reported the problem. I encourage everyone to do the same.

leogomez said:
Same problem here. I Plugged at a BLINK L2 station, and after 3 hours, the dash lights shot off. The station displayed the message "FULLY CHARGED". I Turned car on, but it was only charged to about 60% capacity. It happened twice. I left the car at the dealer on June 28, 2013. The dealer said "Nissan Northamerica is aware of the problem. The problem will be fixed with a softaware upgrade AVAILABLE NEXT WEEK" The dealer wanted to dump the car back on me. Needless to say, I refused. I called NTSHA and reported the problem. I encourage everyone to do the same.
You should have called the Nissan EV line. They will actually do something.

I am having the same issue on my 2013 with just over 1,000 miles.

I've used multiple different evse's (ChargePoint and ClipperCreek), and the same problem exists.

Off to the dealership...

Mine is at the dealer today to address the charging issue (plus a clicking noise upon accel / deceleration.) I'll update everyone on my experience.

Since the problem started last week my "best" charging experience was going from ~25% -> 70% and then needing to initiate charging from 70% to ~100%, which was accomplished in two parts: overnight and then following up in early morning. Worst-case scenario has been vehicle stops charging after five minutes again and again.

Bateman said:
Mine is at the dealer today to address the charging issue (plus a clicking noise upon accel / deceleration.) I'll update everyone on my experience.

Since the problem started last week my "best" charging experience was going from ~25% -> 70% and then needing to initiate charging from 70% to ~100%, which was accomplished in two parts: overnight and then following up in early morning. Worst-case scenario has been vehicle stops charging after five minutes again and again.

Oh no! Haha...I just started noticing the clicking sound as well. I was hoping it was supposed to be there, but it was just wishful thinking.

I've had the clicking issue from day one of ownership.. and the pdm issue after 8 weeks .. I have a axle at the dealership that's awaiting the software update to do it all at once . Will see

Just got the call from my dealership where they were looking at the car today. Nissan released an updated bulletin TODAY (July 1st) that acknowledges the issue we are seeing. I can confirm that the rumored software update exists and it has been loaded onto my 2013 car. They are going to discharge the battery and charge it tonight to 100% to confirm that the issue is indeed fixed. I'll update everyone tomorrow.

As for the clicking issue they have 'lubricated the splines' to resolve the issue. We shall see if these items get resolved. :)

I got my car back today and at first pass the issue appears resolved thanks to the software update. Car charged to 100% while at the dealer last night. I've also charge for 20 minutes and again for an hour today (at that time almost to 100%), stopping only when I decided (not when the car decides to stop charging!)

I got mine back today and it's on my L2 Clipper Creek right now. Here were the codes that were stored:

P3100
P3178
P318D
P3191
P3193
P3196
P3197
P31B3

The PDM as well as the other associated bits were replaced.

So, my dealership says that they have been told there will be a software update to fix the issue in a couple of weeks.

It appears some of you are already getting the software update. Should I inquire with another dealership or inform the current one that the software update is already out there?

Also, has it been confirmed that it is a software issue? Looks like some are getting things replaced (PDM)?

rain27 said:
So, my dealership says that they have been told there will be a software update to fix the issue in a couple of weeks.

It appears some of you are already getting the software update. Should I inquire with another dealership or inform the current one that the software update is already out there?

Also, has it been confirmed that it is a software issue? Looks like some are getting things replaced (PDM)?
I took mine in last Monday. The tech contacted an engineer at the factory who logged into the car and looked at the data. The factory engineer then forwarded the data to another engineer at Nissan who then decided to replace the PDM (this was last Tuesday). The parts were ordered then and arrived Monday or yesterday and the tech installed them, charged the car up, drove it a bit to bring the battery down some and then charged it again (all yesterday). I picked it up yesterday evening.

You should call the Nissan EV help line if you feel like you are not getting proper service from your dealer. 877-664-2738. They called me back this morning to check up on the car and to remind me that I can fax in the receipts for the gas for the rental so I can get reimbursed.

Should I somehow get on record that my car is essentially unreliable to drive at this point?

I'm told by dealership that a software update is weeks away, but my car is "ready for pickup".

The last time I charged my car, it charged for about 40 minutes, then shut off. I had to then initiate the charging process another 5 or so times because it kept shutting off after a few minutes.

rain27 said:
Should I somehow get on record that my car is essentially unreliable to drive at this point?

I'm told by dealership that a software update is weeks away, but my car is "ready for pickup".

The last time I charged my car, it charged for about 40 minutes, then shut off. I had to then initiate the charging process another 5 or so times because it kept shutting off after a few minutes.
You just need to call them.

Perfect timing for these updates. I have 3,000 miles on my 2013 Leaf SL that I took delivery mid April. When I arose this morning, I checked my charging status to find it was charged about 50%. I use a Siemens 240 EVSE timer to start at 7pm. I had noticed before that if I plug it in after 7 pm, it does not charge. I use my iPhone app or Carwings to initiate charging.

I went into the garage to check and it was charging. showing no faults on the EVSE. By the time I was ready to leave the house 2 hours later, it was fully charged to 100%. So apparently, it started charging and stopped or either it started charging much later... about 3 AM.

As luck would have it, I got an email from the dealer telling me it may be time to get my Leaf serviced. I have the clicking on accel/decel issue as well. I guess it's time for service. I will ask for the software update.

Have the dealer EV tech call Nissan's TechLine and discuss the problem. Here's my RO note:

"TECH CALLED TECH LINE AND WAS ADVISED TO PERFORM SOFTWARE UPDATE. PFP#23D0-3NF1B"

PFP is industry jargon for Primary Failed Part. I'm guessing that's the PDM module, but I don't know for sure.

Well, I called the EV line as recommended.

They thought a software fix was available and contacted my dealership.

However, my dealership contends that the software update that is currently available is for 2011-2012 models and not 2013.

My dealership states that the 2013 fix will be availabe in a couple of weeks.

Edit: Called EV line again to discuss issues and was told that the dealership is incorrect and that they plan to call my dealership to instruct them on what to do.

rain27 said:
Well, I called the EV line as recommended.

They thought a software fix was available and contacted my dealership.

However, my dealership contends that the software update that is currently available is for 2011-2012 models and not 2013.

My dealership states that the 2013 fix will be availabe in a couple of weeks.

Edit: Called EV line again to discuss issues and was told that the dealership is incorrect and that they plan to call my dealership to instruct them on what to do.

Good for staying persistant! It absolutely is for the 2013's.

Back