Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
edatoakrun said:
Berlino said:
The 2012 LEAF apparently offered 21.38 kWh of usable energy....

Well, yes, if you prefer to cherry-pick your data from a single slide at:

You might believe that.

Well, when I use "apparently," I mean based on initial, incomplete results and don't 100% "believe" anything. It's not like I implied I had seen the results of multiple, independent tests, but preferred to cherry-pick from a single report.

edatoakrun said:
You might come to somewhat different conclusions regarding available battery capacity by reading the much more comprehensive report on the LEAF from the same source here:
Of course you would neglect to note that in the 2nd test they are testing a used LEAF that suffered through an Arizona summer. No duh it's going to have less usable capacity left compared to a new car.

Support will be added for WiFi OBDII adapters. Here is the one I am currently testing with good results so far.

uv30.jpg

Available from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...-20&/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As you can see it has an on/off button. Which is really required as it draws 140-150 ma when on. But when off drops down to less than 10 ma. Could be much less but that is the limit of my bench power supply's built-in current meter. At some point I will measure it more precisely but even at 10 ma it is 6-7 times lower than Bluetooth OBDII adapters.
Update: Current is only 0.5 ma in OFF mode so 100 times less than a Bluetooth OBDII adapter.

So far I am not seeing any of the read failures I get when running a looping test sequence for 2 million CAN frames (almost 5 hour). Those problems appear to be Android version related (usually newer Android versions) probably due to weak BT stack coding.

It would not be so bad if I could recover from the error but that is not always the case. Sometimes it locks up Bluetooth so bad it can not be turned back on without power cycling the phone. Very disappointing.

Anyway, WiFi data handling seems to have non of those problems probably because it has been tested at much higher data rates.

I will still try to get my new functions to work on Bluetooth after I have them fully functioning on the WiFi adapter.

One advantage of WiFi is Leaf Spy will be able to run on a device even if it does not have Bluetooth. I have a test running right now on an old Coby device. Speed is about 1/2 but it runs without any of the read failures I get on Bluetooth.

Do you have a Gen1 or Gen2 Leaf? Interested to know if that WiFi adapter fits ok in the Gen2's OBDII socket?

And does this mean we may see an iOS version of LeafSpy in the future?

DarrenG said:
Do you have a Gen1 or Gen2 Leaf? Interested to know if that WiFi adapter fits ok in the Gen2's OBDII socket?

And does this mean we may see an iOS version of LeafSpy in the future?

My guess is that the OBDII port shape/format is mandated and not something the OEM would be free to modify from model to model. If OEM's changed the OBDII port frequently, emissions could never keep up.

JPWhite said:
My guess is that the OBDII port shape/format is mandated and not something the OEM would be free to modify from model to model.
Of course the port is a given, but the cutout and space surrounding them isn't. They are designed for a simple ODBII plug and cable.
You can see from the image of the WiFi dongle that it is considerably bigger than the actual ODBII socket, there isn't a lot of space around the socket on a GEN2 hence my question.

DarrenG said:
JPWhite said:
My guess is that the OBDII port shape/format is mandated and not something the OEM would be free to modify from model to model.
Of course the port is a given, but the cutout and space surrounding them isn't. They are designed for a simple ODBII plug and cable.
You can see from the image of the WiFi dongle that it is considerably bigger than the actual ODBII socket, there isn't a lot of space around the socket on a GEN2 hence my question.
I see no difference in the cutout for the OBDII socket between 2011 and 2013 model years. The under panels look exactly the same to me.

There is more than enough room for the WiFi OBDII adapter. My Leaf is a 2011.

29nq.png

Turbo3 said:
Here is a new feature that will be available in the next release to show amount of Regeneration (energy put back into the pack). It was requested a while back.

If you tap the Wh counter value you toggle between Wh consumed and Regen Wh.

bge3.png

This looks very cool. I'm a little worried about how close the Reset button is to the new Wh/Regen Wh target area. It looks like I'll need to be extra careful with my fat finger pressing down on the small screen of my Kyocera Event screen. Otherwise, there's going to be some irreversible consequences.

DarrenG said:
I'll snap a pic of my 2013 OBDII port tomorrow. They're not the same, the 2013 one has a plastic trim cover for a start.
From the top of the socket you will need an area 2 1/4" by 1 1/4". Since socket is pointing down the top would be the lower most surface. The large area starts where the socket surface ends.

If there is a cover then the opening would need to be that large centered around the socket.

jaimev said:
Turbo3 said:
Here is a new feature that will be available in the next release to show amount of Regeneration (energy put back into the pack). It was requested a while back.

If you tap the Wh counter value you toggle between Wh consumed and Regen Wh.

bge3.png

This looks very cool. I'm a little worried about how close the Reset button is to the new Wh/Regen Wh target area. It looks like I'll need to be extra careful with my fat finger pressing down on the small screen of my Kyocera Event screen. Otherwise, there's going to be some irreversible consequences.
Yes, I have the same concerns while testing although I have not yet hit the reset by mistake.

Might move the toggle to tapping the "Remaining" number instead or in addition.

There is also the issue of documentation of all these "Hot" areas on the screen. A new user is going to need some way to know about all these "hidden" tap areas.

This will add the 9th or 10th hidden tap function on this screen not including swiping to change screens. (Did I miss any?)

Have you tried these less expensive, and probably slower devices?
http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Diagnostic-Scanner-Adapter-iPhone4S/dp/B00DYOVXZ0/ref=pd_cp_cps_3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drees said:
edatoakrun said:
You might come to somewhat different conclusions regarding available battery capacity by reading the much more comprehensive report on the LEAF from the same source here:
Of course you would neglect to note that in the 2nd test they are testing a used LEAF that suffered through an Arizona summer. No duh it's going to have less usable capacity left compared to a new car.

Unlike you, I can't note what does not seem to be there, drees.

Where do you see that the actual report was of "a used LEAF that suffered through an Arizona summer"? BTW it looks like the report was based on 2 LEAFs.

If you wish to discuss further, please leave this thread on topic, and see my post at this thread:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10307&p=352531#p352531" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ingez said:
When does next Version come avaliable on Play store?
We are probably looking at around two weeks.

Need to integrate in a new CAN frame message handling method that uses a message queue so my main frame routine only needs to handle single full frames (instead of from 1 to hundreds of bytes of raw data). Finish up background logging. Add the new WiFi support. Then update all three versions of the app with the changes so they are in sync and test it all.

DarrenG said:
JPWhite said:

Given the location of the OBDII port, groping around for the switch out of sight will be inconvenient anyway. A simple ODBII extension cable is all that is required to locate the device elsewhere within easy reach. I have a device with a built in cable so it sits in the well under the electronic parking brake.

Thank you for your replys and advice, all.

I decided to use "22.5[kWh] x SOH[%] x SOC[%]", because I want to know small change of the battery energy for one minute or so.
(I know I can't determine the exact energy in this way, but the tendency of energy consumption will be seen.)

So I have a new question.
-Values of "SOH" is always 82 in my logs of the Leafspy since Nov, 17.
-"AHr" often read 542774 (or arround it). 542774 / 656000 x 100 = 82.7 ? 83
Which value should I use "SOH" directly or "AHr" / 656000 x 100?

Please tell me your opinions.

katsuo said:
Thank you for your replys and advice, all.

I decided to use "22.5[kWh] x SOH[%] x SOC[%]", because I want to know small change of the battery energy for one minute or so.
(I know I can't determine the exact energy in this way, but the tendency of energy consumption will be seen.)

So I have a new question.
-Values of "SOH" is always 82 in my logs of the Leafspy since Nov, 17.
-"AHr" often read 542774 (or arround it). 542774 / 656000 x 100 = 82.7 ? 83
Which value should I use "SOH" directly or "AHr" / 656000 x 100?

Please tell me your opinions.
If you want more than 1% resolution, you need to use AHr/656000 (or AHr/660000 - neither one perfectly matches SOH% reported by my Leaf but both are within +/-1% noone is sure what Nissan uses). We arrived at 656000 because when my Leaf got reset, I read 100% SOH and 65.6 AHr so it seemed reasonable to assume 65.6 was the right scalar. However, 66 seems to track SOH slightly better.

When I use Leaf Spy Pro, I think I spend most of my time watching the Motor amps and Accelerator screen that's in the v0.29.20 beta. Thanks so much for adding this view.

DO4gafg.png

I'd like to offer a suggestion that makes it easier on the eyes to correlate the peaks and valleys of the graph to their approximate Amp values. Perhaps, major gridlines could be added every 200 amps?

Compare this mockup with the original above.

lk5jvLQ.png

Back