Leaf Production, "I think 20,000 will be too high"?!?!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electricD

Ok, yeah 20,000 Leafs did seem like a bit of a dream for this year to me so it's nice to see Nissan thinks so too. But what number do they expect in order to get the "launch absolutely perfect" :roll: , 15,000, 10,000, 2,000?

http://detnews.com/article/20110207/AUTO01/102070394/1148/rss25

Makes me wonder that is going wrong with production over there in Japan. 200 cars a month is like nothing given the size and capacity of the plant.

Honestly.

Nissan needs to get a consistent Corporate Message together on this topic. I can't believe they have this many guys ad libbing statements. It is an ad lib because it does not point out the obvious fact that not all of the vehicles 'reserved' in the 'forgotten 36' are going to be delivered this year.

I've worked for huge companies before, and it is not that difficult to get the few senior leaders together to tell them "here is the message, repeat this until we tell you not to".

This is embarrassing.

Probably nothing wrong going on, just stepping up production for this nearly 100% new tech car.

The only thing interesting about the article is that Nissan has achieved a 40% uptake on the $99 deposits.. and that is a huge number for a sight unseen car!.. was anyone really expecting 100%?

electricD said:
Ok, yeah 20,000 Leafs did seem like a bit of a dream for this year to me so it's nice to see Nissan thinks so too.
Wrong interpritation. See the thread on "2000 leafs per month".

Herm said:
The only thing interesting about the article is that Nissan has achieved a 40% uptake on the $99 deposits.. and that is a huge number for a sight unseen car!..
That's true, and Nissan is probably right that the rate will drop off after the initial orders.

was anyone really expecting 100%?
But Mossy Nissan in San Diego has converted 94% so far.

Not knowing anything, I would guess that the production capacity limitation is due to the parts that make the Leaf different: the battery pack or the motor assembly. Battery pack seems likely since electric motors and headboard are made by the xxx millions.

Edit: maybe there is no production delay, it could all be just the reallocation to japan.

If they deliver April to December about 2,000 cars each - it would be around 18K. My guess is they will deliver about 15K cars this year and 20K in 2012.

You know I'd just like to know what is going on over there at Nissan regarding the Leaf production. Yes it is a new type of car and yes it needs infrastructure but those excuses are just really warn out now. When I put down my deposit for a leaf back in April of last year I was ready for a wait, but not a wait with only a trickle of information as to when I would get a car and what is delaying it. How hard could it be to keep us informed? Anyone at the Factory in Japan want to start a blog

Funny I though last year that the Volt would be the on on endless delay and the Leaf would be launching successfully. While I don't want a Volt because I want a all electric car, I do have to give credit to Chevy for delivering a more complex car in greater number then the Leaf.

electricD said:
You know I'd just like to know what is going on over there at Nissan regarding the Leaf production. Yes it is a new type of car and yes it needs infrastructure but those excuses are just really warn out now.
I've a feeling you have completely missed out all the relenant threads. There is a massive amount of cheer from the crowd about April deliveries. May be an out dated sentiment ?

Funny I though last year that the Volt would be the on on endless delay and the Leaf would be launching successfully. While I don't want a Volt because I want a all electric car, I do have to give credit to Chevy for delivering a more complex car in greater number then the Leaf.

You got that wrong, Nissan has delivered more Leafs than GM has delivered Volts.

sjfotos said:
Honestly.

Nissan needs to get a consistent Corporate Message together on this topic. I can't believe they have this many guys ad libbing statements. It is an ad lib because it does not point out the obvious fact that not all of the vehicles 'reserved' in the 'forgotten 36' are going to be delivered this year.

I've worked for huge companies before, and it is not that difficult to get the few senior leaders together to tell them "here is the message, repeat this until we tell you not to".

This is embarrassing.

This message is not inconsistent. The 'forgotten 36' were mentioned right here:

"Carolin said about four in every 10 of those plunking down deposits have been buying them when it comes time to commit." Since the conversion rate in early delivery areas has been very high, the difference is made up by those who haven't been allowed to order yet...

No doubt Nissan has delivered more LEAFS than GM has delivered Volts. However, I think that only pertains to Global delivery numbers. In the US, Volts are being delivered faster than LEAFS. I hope that changes shortly.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/03/first-sales-chevy-volt-nissan-leaf/

"I've a feeling you have completely missed out all the relenant threads. There is a massive amount of cheer from the crowd about April deliveries. May be an out dated sentiment ?"

Nope not dated, I was scheduled originally for an April delivery and no joy here since I was last told late summer just for ordering by Nissan. And I have no qualms with the info I get in this forum, but it is not an official source and I don't think it is the forums job to do Nissan's communication. If it wasn't for this forum and a few others I'd completely in the dark about many thing about the leaf. It shouldn't be that way. Sorry sorry if I don't jump on the "cheer" bandwagon just yet.

"You got that wrong, Nissan has delivered more Leafs than GM has delivered Volts."

Not sure what number you are using, but here in the US there are more Volts on the road.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/08/us-nissan-leaf-idUSTRE71707V20110208

sjfotos said:
No doubt Nissan has delivered more LEAFS than GM has delivered Volts. However, I think that only pertains to Global delivery numbers. In the US, Volts are being delivered faster than LEAFS. I hope that changes shortly.

Yes, we are talking about global numbers.

But when we talk about "difficulties in ramping up" that is the number that matters (in other words the actual production in the factory rather than deliveries in one country).

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/02/08/report-nissan-leaf-deliveries-eclipse-1-100/

sjfotos said:

you beat me sjfotos ;)

electricD said:
you beat me sjfotos ;)
See my post above.

Nissan is just saying they may not deliver 20K to US. You are incorrectly extrapolating that to mean production in Oppama. Infact by April, Nissan says it will produce 10,000 Leafs.

From Det News:
Twenty-thousand people put down $99 deposits to reserve a Leaf. Carolin said about four in every 10 of those plunking down deposits have been buying them when it comes time to commit.

So 60% have not committed to buying them.

evnow said:
electricD said:
you beat me sjfotos ;)
See my post above.

Nissan is just saying they may not deliver 20K to US. You are incorrectly extrapolating that to mean production in Oppama. Infact by April, Nissan says it will produce 10,000 Leafs.

Well what Nissan says it is going to produce and what is does at this point is a little suspect I think.

http://nissan-leaf.net/2010/07/08/nissan-plans-to-sell-25000-leafs-in-us-in-2011/

Also I'm not interested in global number but deliveries to customers in the US, and by customers I don't mean rental companies. But globally or US it doesn't matter, Nissan is still way behind the expected number that they promoted and as a hopeful early adopter of EV's it is not making me a happy customer or do I think Nissan's lack of openness on the process is good for future EV sales.

electricD said:
Well what Nissan says it is going to produce and what is does at this point is a little suspect I think.
I see you plan to stick to your thoughts even with new information.

evnow said:
electricD said:
I see you plan to stick to your thoughts even with new information.

Yep, until I see a Leaf in my garage plugged in (or Focus). Given Nissans track record on deliveries, accuracy of past statements, and the fact that they still have not updated me on when I can order let alone when it will be delivered, I think it is safe to say most of the report we hear can't be relied on. But we Leafers are a hopeful lot so I have my finger crossed.

All I know, is that I hope us in the "Forgotten 36" get to, at least, Reserve a LEAF sometime in 2011. As long as I have one on Reserve I will be a happy camper. Until then, I will be impatient! :lol: haha

Back