Leaf owners portal access issue under windows8/IE10

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisie75

Find Leaf owners portal page can not be accessed on my new Surface RT tablet, and start a little research on this. Here is what i have got so far. Hope this report would save some time of others when they run into it.

1. Talk with Microsoft support team. They recreat this on their side and further confirm it happens on Windows8/IE10 platform right now (not just tablet). They explain this comes as IE10 use new Adobe flash which screen out unsafe pages, and therefore have compatibility issue with some existing webs. They send me the link for webmaster to look in order to solve this issue with MS.

2. Contact Leaf team, forward the link MS has provided. find out not only Leaf owners portal, but quite some pages on nissan usa web might have this issue due to heavy flash use. It seems a larger scale than a quick fix could do. The support team would escalate this to higher lever but there would be no time frame that this would be fully addressed.

hopefully this helps.

You may try putting IE10 into compatibility mode. Many sites detect IE and use IE specific pages, but those may not work on IE10 because it is (more) standards compliant. I'm not sure how to do it in surface, but in the desktop mode there should be a little "broken page" icon.

TomT said:
I use Windows 8 and Firefox. It works fine. Frankly, I'm not sure why anyone would use IE of any flavor these days...

Well. As I told MS support team, if they keep this way, no wonder people return their Surface RT -While you have Apple out there. I believe MS is hoping standalone RT apps developed by Nissan sometime down the road. But these are even less relevant to Leaf.

Just a note in case someone run into it. There is no need to compare browsers here.

GeekEV said:
You may try putting IE10 into compatibility mode. Many sites detect IE and use IE specific pages, but those may not work on IE10 because it is (more) standards compliant. I'm not sure how to do it in surface, but in the desktop mode there should be a little "broken page" icon.

That won't work. It's for another compatibility issue arises before ie10, if I am right, it has been there since ie8?

This is not a big issue, affects surface rt users most b/c they currently have no other way to workaround this. For Nissan, either upgrade to new flash, or develop RT apps. I believe they probably would do both, as long as surface could manage to survive...

chrisie75 said:
TomT said:
I use Windows 8 and Firefox. It works fine. Frankly, I'm not sure why anyone would use IE of any flavor these days...

Well. As I told MS support team, if they keep this way, no wonder people return their Surface RT -While you have Apple out there. I believe MS is hoping standalone RT apps developed by Nissan sometime down the road. But these are even less relevant to Leaf.

Just a note in case someone run into it. There is no need to compare browsers here.
The problem is that Microsoft decided, "for security reasons", not to support Flash and other plugins on the RT version of IE10. The wonderfully stupid and confusing thing is that if you have regular Windows8 there are two versions of IE10: the RT version and the Desktop version. One supports plugins like Flash (the Desktop) and the other does not (RT, aka Metro IE). Great job by Microsoft to try and screw Adobe and other 3rd party web standards and instead piss off users who are wondering why the heck they should've bought Window8 (note the lack of an 's' is intentional as the new Metro GUI is not multi-window).

They should've just had Windows8 Phone (Tile only GUI), Windows8 Tablet (Metro Tile GUI first, desktop GUI optional), and Windows8 Desktop (Desktop GUI first, Metro GUI optional). For Microsoft's sake, I hope they wake up and fix the plethora of Window8 problems in SP1 before Android with LibreOffice (looks and works just like Microsoft Office) starts shipping on DeskTop PCs (for free) and they start losing their profit center business users too.

As for Nissan developing an RT App...been to the Windows8 store recently? The only RT Apps are from companies Microsoft paid to write them. Given RT's pitiful market share in the tablet/phone market, nobody's going to waste time writing programs for RT unless Microsoft pays them, so don't hold your breath waiting for the Metro Nissan App.

Back