LEAF delivery a media event?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kolmstead

Ridgecrest, California (100 miles east of Bakersfi
My dealer asked me today if he could invite the news media for the delivery of my LEAF. I told him that I needed time to think about it. And to ask you folks what you would do.

On one hand, I think that media coverage of EV deliveries helps increase public awareness and understanding. Folks need to hear why you and I are buying electric cars despite their limited range. That's a good thing. Especially if you chose an attractive, intelligent and well-spoken advocate.

I'm an engineer, so I have limited social skills. I'm pushing 60, and not good-looking. I don't like attention focused on me, and I could do without the additional stress, given that I have an 83 mile drive home with the new car. And frankly, I don't like most news reporters. They tend to push their own agendas, like Fox did with Gudy. Then they'll probably want some shots of me driving around, which will cut directly into the electricity I need to get home. I'd probably resent that.

Comments? I have time to think about it; my dashboard currently reads week of Jan 20.

-Karl

I wouldn't do it but that's me. Just wouldn't like all those cameras and questions.

kolmstead said:
My dealer asked me today if he could invite the news media for the delivery of my LEAF. I told him that I needed time to think about it. And to ask you folks what you would do.
It really sounds like you don't want to do it. I would tell the dealer that they can do it only if they hire an owner double :-D

But it is also an opportunity to let everyone know why you bought it (and why everyone should get one, if thats what you think). If you do allow media, I'd suggest getting prepared to answer the usual questions.

As for the 83 mile trip - do a stop over at another dealer and get some juice. Possibilty of that should help with the anxiety.

ps : I'm normally a very shy person who just wants to melt into the crowd. So, I know exactly what you are saying.

kolmstead said:
I'm an engineer, so I have limited social skills. I'm pushing 60, and not good-looking. I don't like attention focused on me, and I could do without the additional stress, given that I have an 83 mile drive home with the new car. And frankly, I don't like most news reporters. They tend to push their own agendas, like Fox did with Gudy. Then they'll probably want some shots of me driving around, which will cut directly into the electricity I need to get home. I'd probably resent that.
As somebody that previously worked in the media, you are absolutely correct.

I would suggest passing as the dealership will just ask the next Leaf customer in line, no big deal.

Also, if you decide to do the media event, unless you have editorial control of the story DON'T WATCH IT! You'll always find problems of how the story goes together and end up dissatisfied.

I am not sure I would want to go it alone but if the dealer has 3+ at the same time to defer some of the issues then it would be easier.
Dealer probably just wants some free publicity. Maybe the dealer could toss in a couple Leaf T-shirts a Leaf plate frame or something as part of the publicity handshake.

Hey Evnow,

Unfortunately Karl bought his Nissan from Antelope Valley, and from his other thread, there's no other dealers between home and the dealership, so his 80 mile drive is his only option. No L2 charging along the way...

No other LEAF buyers to team up with; there was one, the actual first delivery, but he got out of it by not being there on delivery day, and having his car shipped to some mysterious location that forum members are still trying to guess. And as driveleaf said, it's a long, empty drive home thru Mojave Desert for me. Not the slightest chance of L2 charging. Eco mode, no climate control, 55 mph should do the trick.

I wouldn't mind helping out Victor, the Antelope Valley Nissan dealer. He's treated me well, gave me a good price, and got the order processed quickly. And, as I said, publicity for EVs is a good thing. But I'm the guy who leaves the room when a camera comes out. My Significant Other surprised me and encouraged me to do the media event; she said that it'd be a few seconds of video and a couple of questions at a little car dealership in an out-of-the way place. What's the big deal. There's not the slightest chance that I'd ever see the video; I don't watch TV. But I've seen myself on video before, and I did not like it.

One of the reasons I started this topic was so that others would think about how they'd do in the same situation. I really appreciate you telling me your thoughts! So far, the responses have been all the way from introvert to 'ham'. Thanks!

-Karl

FWIW: There was no video, only still cameras and a newpaper reporter from a very local paper yesterday at Nissan of Elk Grove. Maybe Visual could comment.

You could request no video, limited interview only.

You should do what you think is best. If your wife wants to, have her do all the talking. You can slip out the back door and meet her at the coffee shop down the road.

Karl, I just went through this yesterday at EG Nissan, and they had asked my permission. Now I am comfortable in public situations, so I had no qualms about it, but as LEAFer points out, it was just a local newspaper guy and the dealer's own PR person, so it was really no big deal. However, it sounds like you're already nervous, given your range-testing drive home, so its perfectly reasonable to say no. TV is definitely more nerve-wracking, because we're all nervous about how we'd come across, so another option might be to say "no TV crews - just print media", if you still want to help the dealer and get the word out.

One reason I did it is that I believe thats part of the role of the early adopter, to evangelize the technology and encourage more of the majority to at least consider it. However, you can also do that with your friends and neighbors, as opposed to the general public on a TV channel.

Either way, enjoy the car - its a beautiful thing!

Hi Karl,

I think you can help Victor with his outreach and avoid the cameras at the same time by agreeing to participate in a newspaper story. That's what happened yesterday in Sacramento when Visual picked up his LEAF at Elk Grove Nissan. Originally, there was going to be more media coverage, but it ended up being a photo-less article in the Sacramento Bee newspaper: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/11/3314416/electric-vehicle-arrives-at-automall.html

kolmstead said:
No other LEAF buyers to team up with; there was one, the actual first delivery, but he got out of it by not being there on delivery day, and having his car shipped to some mysterious location that forum members are still trying to guess. And as driveleaf said, it's a long, empty drive home thru Mojave Desert for me. Not the slightest chance of L2 charging. Eco mode, no climate control, 55 mph should do the trick.

I wouldn't mind helping out Victor, the Antelope Valley Nissan dealer. He's treated me well, gave me a good price, and got the order processed quickly. And, as I said, publicity for EVs is a good thing. But I'm the guy who leaves the room when a camera comes out. My Significant Other surprised me and encouraged me to do the media event; she said that it'd be a few seconds of video and a couple of questions at a little car dealership in an out-of-the way place. What's the big deal. There's not the slightest chance that I'd ever see the video; I don't watch TV. But I've seen myself on video before, and I did not like it.

One of the reasons I started this topic was so that others would think about how they'd do in the same situation. I really appreciate you telling me your thoughts! So far, the responses have been all the way from introvert to 'ham'. Thanks!

-Karl

kolmstead said:
Victor called an hour or so ago, and I told him I wasn't interested in the PR event. He took it well. And then he told me my car is there! I'll go down Friday to get it. My dashboard says Jan 20.

-Karl

Watch out for the Paparazzi :eek:

Congratulations

You could always bring one of your friends or wives to "take the heat". :D

In any case, I sincerely hope that you enjoy the drive back home.

Plan B for you:
A tow rope (or strap) so that your "getting to the dealer" vehicle could use to pull your LEAF, if necessary. Just make sure that the "towing eye-bolt" is included (in the driver's side of the cargo area), and that you know how to use it safely.

Remember, FAST is not necessary. SLOWER is sometimes better.

As I recall, the owner's manual simply says not to flat tow.. possible damage to reduction gearing. If I do run low, I should be within ten miles of home. Monika can shuttle me home, and I'll take the truck and flatbed out to rescue the LEAF. But I don't expect that to happen. I don't think anyone has admitted to running their car completely empty; I'd just as soon not be the first.

Based on what I've been reading, I don't know if ECO mode will be of any benefit. I might just switch it on for the one or two significant downhill stretches. Cruise control virtually the entire trip.

kolmstead said:
As I recall, the owner's manual simply says not to flat tow.. possible damage to reduction gearing.
Just a quick note that the service manual does have a procedure to allow the vehicle to be "towed" flat. It still strongly recommends against it though.

Back