Leaf causing my wristwatch to slow down?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYLEAF

I know this is probably a long-shot, but for about a year now, I've been having issues with my watches all running slow. I own a nice Swiss Army watch (by Victorinox) that I've had for about 8 years. I had the battery replaced last summer, but that didn't solve the issue. I also own a new Fossil watch, which I've had the store replace twice now because of how poorly it keeps time.

I spent the past week on a cruise in the Caribbean, kept one watch in my luggage and wore the other one the whole cruise, and both kept perfect time. This past summer, I was in London for the Olympics, and my Swiss Army watch kept perfect time then, too (I didn't own the Fossil watch yet). When I keep either watch in a drawer at home, it keeps perfect time. As soon as I wear the watch to work, it slows down. The only thing I can think is that it's the Leaf, or it's where I work. I work in a shopping mall, and I can't imagine there would be anything there that could cause my watch to slow down. Could it be the Leaf?

Weird. Well, you can narrow it down further by taking turns leaving the watch in the car and at your desk...

My ten year old $9.95 LA Gear watch keeps perfect time, and I use the LEAF almost daily. And it has a great big round dial I can easily read w/o my specs.

ebill3 said:
My ten year old $9.95 LA Gear watch keeps perfect time, and I use the LEAF almost daily. And it has a great big round dial I can easily read w/o my specs.

Ditto for my oldish Casio Quartz Alarm Chronograph, it keeps perfect time.

Someone should start a Google document to track this. Knowing this forum, we should have a consistent theory by Friday, based on watch motive power, country of manufacture, battery type, crystal material, right vs left handed driver or passenger, and regional temperature variation. :lol:

Just how fast are you driving that LEAF? :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How rapidly does it lose time? If it works out to a few seconds per hour or more, it should be a fairly easy task to prove whether the LEAF has any impact. Calibrate with a known accurate time source then go for an extended drive in the LEAF, then compare with the known time source again. Note the lost time (seconds) Then with the watch in the drawer, wait a comparable amount of time and check again. Compare the LEAF loss with the control. Don't go to work with this test drive, just return directly home.

Boomer23 said:
Someone should start a Google document to track this. Knowing this forum, we should have a consistent theory by Friday, based on watch motive power, country of manufacture, battery type, crystal material, right vs left handed driver or passenger, and regional temperature variation. :lol:
troubleshootmnl

Already done! Nissan should be announcing a new chronograph correctness warranty shortly. That said, you forgot to include the model year of the vehicle and the distance to the magnetic pole in your list :roll:

surfingslovak said:
Boomer23 said:
troubleshootmnl

Already done! Nissan should be announcing a new chronograph correctness warranty shortly. That said, you forgot to include the model year of the vehicle and the distance to the magnetic pole in your list :roll:

I left a few out, slovak, because I expected you to deliver on the final, decisive factors, as you have now done. :lol:

To do this experiment correctly, you're going to need 30 identical watches. Synchronize them. Put 10 of them in your desk drawer at work, 10 in the glove compartment of the Leaf, and leave 10 at home in a box with a cat and a cyanide capsule (may be mixing my metaphors here). After 90 days, record and average the time from each group of watches. Don't forget to let the cat out. Save the watches to hand out to trick-or-treaters on Halloween.

FWIW, I bought one of those cheap EMF meters to play around with. I got much higher readings from the interior lights in the Leaf than I did from the motor or inverter.

sproqitman said:
FWIW, I bought one of those cheap EMF meters to play around with. I got much higher readings from the interior lights in the Leaf than I did from the motor or inverter.

How about from the charger?

Nubo said:
sproqitman said:
How about from the charger?
The (in-car) charger had a moderately high reading while charging, but the biggest readings were on the backside of the wall the Blink was mounted on.

surfingslovak said:
Nissan has announced the warranty will cover replacement of the watch with an identical (bug-compatible) model, if the watch in question loses more than 7 minutes per day. Watch must be installed by the dealer, and must be set to a time that does not match the dashboard clock or the navigation clock, that is, you must have three different time references.

Due to relativistic effects, the watch should lose the most time during an airplane trip, but you probably fiddled with it to set the time zone the moment you arrived at your destination and didn't notice.

At the risk of conveying useful information, watches are temperature-sensitive. They run at a different rate when they are on your wrist, versus on the nightstand. However you use it, the best routine is the same routine every day. Consistency is the key. Though I haven't thought about this much since they started putting quartz crystals in watches.

Apologies to the OP, who has an apparently real problem, but this is the most enjoyable thread I've seen on here in a while. :lol:

You guys are funny

Well, I can't say I had much hope for this thread (hence why I posted it in "Off Topic").

I like the idea of 30 identical watches. 10 in the glovebox, 10 at my desk, and 10 on my wrist.

Back