LEAF CANbus decoding. (Open discussion)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that is it. you can use the lower numbers or the upper numbers. the range is there because they are referencing the average economy that is on the center console. There is a range of accuracy of this number therefore a range of distances that are possible. Lets just use the upper for this discussion.

at 2.5m/kWh you go 42 miles to 1 bar remaining and then you can still drive to 52 miles at which point the car goes into turtle. 42/52=80%

3 / 51 to one bar / 63 to turtle = 80%
3.5 / 60 / 73 = 82%
4 / 68 / 84 = 81%
4.5 / 76 / 94 = 81%
5 / 85 / 105 = 81%
5.5 / 94/115 = 82%
6 / 102/126 = 81%

ok, so after reviewing the numbers again, it is not 21% but rather 19%. Maybe I used the lower numbers the first time. ( actually I did on the 4.0 60/76 = 79%)

Anyhow, the point is that when you get down to the last bar you have about 20% remaining.

chris1howell said:
chris1howell said:
I just loaded test code from lincomatic, a full charge my new SOC displays 95.1% at 223 gid (~80% based 223g/281).

I am driving from Lancaster to Santa Monica (80 miles and back today). I should get a good idea how% this new value behaves...

Yesterday, I was able to watch the 55b value over a almost full cycle and two partial cycles. It appears to be a bit optimistic on the low end. At 2 bars it still shows 30%. I did not take it down to LBW or VLBW. I am guessing a charge full does not equal %100 so turtle may not equal 0%.

55b behaves much better than gids. During regen the value smoothly increases. .1% at a time. It takes a very long time to add a gid during regen. I really think 55b is a great find, we just need to verify the low end...
Are you saying that this SOC actually increments sometimes even when the gids don't? I figured it was just a scaled version of gid count. A agree with Gary, though, kWh is really what I want since that tells me how far I can go - not SOC. However, if SOC really is more reliable maybe we can work out a mechanism to track how much energy is associated per % and display that value (will be variable, of course, from car to car).

I watched it on my way into work today and you are right. At freeway speeds, just the regen from letting off the accellerator will cause the SOC% to start incrementing - long before any increase in gid count is reflected.

TickTock said:
chris1howell said:
chris1howell said:
I just loaded test code from lincomatic, a full charge my new SOC displays 95.1% at 223 gid (~80% based 223g/281).

I am driving from Lancaster to Santa Monica (80 miles and back today). I should get a good idea how% this new value behaves...

Yesterday, I was able to watch the 55b value over a almost full cycle and two partial cycles. It appears to be a bit optimistic on the low end. At 2 bars it still shows 30%. I did not take it down to LBW or VLBW. I am guessing a charge full does not equal %100 so turtle may not equal 0%.

55b behaves much better than gids. During regen the value smoothly increases. .1% at a time. It takes a very long time to add a gid during regen. I really think 55b is a great find, we just need to verify the low end...
Are you saying that this SOC actually increments sometimes even when the gids don't? I figured it was just a scaled version of gid count. A agree with Gary, though, kWh is really what I want since that tells me how far I can go - not SOC. However, if SOC really is more reliable maybe we can work out a mechanism to track how much energy is associated per % and display that value (will be variable, of course, from car to car).

Yes, that is what I am saying. I agree gids are still important but not to calculate SOC. For SOC we should use the new value NOT gids/281.

On my display I have:

kWh remaining GIDS Bars
Batt volts New SOC KWh draw

TickTock is correct, this is the true SoC reported by the battery ECU (LBC), though at a lower resolution than is available via active query.

It rarely exceeds 95% on a "full" charge.

-Phil

TickTock said:
I watched it on my way into work today and you are right. At freeway speeds, just the regen from letting off the accellerator will cause the SOC% to start incrementing - long before any increase in gid count is reflected.

Now that you've had it running a few days, have you had any luck comparing the SOC to Tony's range chart values. For example the percent left at LBW and start of last bar that we were discussing.

palmermd said:
TickTock said:

Now that you've had it running a few days, have you had any luck comparing the SOC to Tony's range chart values. For example the percent left at LBW and start of last bar that we were discussing.
I haven't tried. Tony's chart "SOC" is really gids/281, right? If so, this SOC will not track except for a new car.

TickTock said:
palmermd said:
TickTock said:

I haven't tried. Tony's chart "SOC" is really gids/281, right? If so, this SOC will not track except for a new car.

There is an 85% capacity chart in there. Of course, the Gids are at 85% when fully charged, and the SOC would be higher (either 95% or 100%, depending how it's indexed).

palmermd said:
...so as you lose capacity essentially more and more range is "buried" in the last bar and below. Tony has put this in his second range chart for folks who have lost a bar.

Not quite.

The LBW would just come on with two or more Fuel Bars showing.

TonyWilliams said:
The LBW would just come on with two or more Fuel Bars showing.
Was that confirmed when you were doing your range test? That's the first I've heard that LBW would move further up the scale...

TickTock said:
Found an indicator for the daylight sensor/headlight activator. msgid 358, second byte, MSB. When set indicates no daylight detected. dBase has been updated.
Correction: This appears to be the headlight-on indicator. If you have your headlights set to auto (like I do) it follows the daylight sensor but if you manually turn them on or off it follows that.

Would the following query get the VIN number if issued on the Leaf CAR-CAN bus?

MsgID 0x7DF
Data Byte 0 = 0x02 // number of bytes following
Data Byte 1 = 0x09 // Mode 9
Data Byte 2 = 0x02 // Request VIN
Data Byte 3-7 = don't care

Has anyone tried this?

What is the response format?

Jim

Turbo3 said:
Would the following query get the VIN number if issued on the Leaf CAR-CAN bus?

MsgID 0x7DF
Data Byte 0 = 0x02 // number of bytes following
Data Byte 1 = 0x09 // Mode 9
Data Byte 2 = 0x02 // Request VIN
Data Byte 3-7 = don't care

Has anyone tried this?

What is the response format?

Jim
Have you tried it? I see controllers at 0x744, 0x746, 0x784, 0x792, 0x79b and 0x79d.. oh wait, that's EV-CAN..
How did you find 0x7df, "Mode 9" and "Request VIN"?

I realize that on a new car,true SoC is 95%. Is the SoC shown on the LB App supposed to be true/actual SoC%? Because mine always shows over 95%. When it was cooler, it hit 97.4%.

Back