LA Times article - elec cars cost competitive in 2017?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyv

Here's an interesting link:

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-electric-car-ownership-2017-20130725,0,6639649.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not sure I buy the math; I think with federal and state incentives, and recognizing maintenance costs, that driving electric already makes economic sense, especially for leasers... I added the comment at the bottom of the story from Leafguy1 :)

...Nissan’s Leaf took 3.3% of the subcompact market...
That's hard to do when the LEAF is classified as a midsize car; the author's preconceived expectations are showing. The LEAF may look like it is small but one of the things that surprises people who ride in mine is how roomy it is inside. The downside of the tall profile and overall size is increased drag: the mileage would be better if the LEAF really were the size of a true subcompact, but it was intended to be a family car with good utility.
...while combined sales of Chevrolet Volts, plug-in Priuses, Ford Focus Electric cars and Ford C-Max Energis made up 1.4% of the compact vehicle market during the first half of 2013...
That's ironic since the Volt is smaller and much more cramped in space than the LEAF.

Back