Rebate Temblor Coming to CA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thankyouOB

California wants 1.5 million zero-emission vehicles on the road by 2025 — more than 15 times the number now.

So the state pays buyers $2,500 per car, on top of a $7,500 federal tax credit, to help speed development and promote widespread adoption.

The effort has had mixed results. Sales of electric cars are up but remain well off the pace needed to meet state goals. And the generous subsidies are going largely to some of the state's wealthiest residents.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-electric-car-rebates-20140807-story.html#page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nearly four-fifths of the state rebates went to households earning $100,000 or more, according to a state survey of buyers. Nearly half of those getting rebates for Tesla's premium electric sedan earned at least $300,000.

With the state's incentive program constantly running out of funds — about 13,500 buyers are on a waiting list to get their rebate — state lawmakers are now looking to get more of that money into the hands of lower-income drivers.
$147 million in zero-emission vehicle rebates

"A $2,500 rebate to purchase an electric vehicle is not likely to matter to someone earning over $300,000 a year, but it does make a big difference to someone earning $60k a year," said Sen. Kevin de León (D-Los Angeles). "Every community deserves clean air, regardless of wealth."
--
there is some qualification in the bill saying that the regulation should not set a limit that hurts car deployment.
that could be tricky.
regardless, i think it is a workable idea to limit CA rebates to some figure under 100k of AGI--or perhaps scale downward (not limit) at some tipping point of AGI that works around that parameter.
the reality of the numbers and who buys, however, may be different.

i also think the rebates should not go to combo cars; that is to say hybrids and Plug-ins that run on gas and electric.

The simplest approach would be to reduce the rebate amount to, say, $1500 and limit it to pure electrics with an MSRP of $35K or less. EVs are a bit more affordable than in 2011, and these rebates are eventually going to need to end anyway. Virtually anyone buying a car under $35K, regardless of means, is going to be price sensitive to some degree. Yes, luxury car buyers are also price sensitive, but $1500 isn't going to make much difference, percentage wise, in a $90K purchase.

Also, while I'm not crazy about further increases in California's gasoline taxes because our state is already expensive relative to competing states, we are overdue for increases in the federal gasoline tax which has not risen with inflation. The free market will migrate away from fossil fuels, and/or use them more efficiently, if they are sufficiently expensive to burn.

They're so impressed with their ability to influence yet they can't even keep the program funded. Keep it simple or don't bother, imho. If you want to limit, use the MSRP of the vehicle. But please, no vision-quest of income verification, loopholes, and reams of paperwork. I know it's the CA way, but please. Keep it simple, or just keep it.

I say keep the $2,500 as is but add a refundable tax credit up to $5,000 additional based on pure EV only phased out for high income or vehicles over ~$60,000.

OK the existing $2,500 or a green sticker on hybrids, not both.

for an update on rebates
watch the SacEVA meeting video
CARB Mark Williams - about 30 minutes into the video if I remember correctly
first he talks about the Kia Soul EV and then the rebate

here is the link
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnLIQ1taqUOPZ9TQRvKCfZQ/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just for the hell of it… the cheapest (that I know of) you can get a Leaf would be in San Joaquin County.

$2500 CA ZEV Rebate
$2500 County
$7500 Federal
$3500 Cash rebate financed through NMAC

That's $16k others will pay for your Leaf. Choosing the S, you could get it for $13,960 + tax. You could probably even talk a dealer down another $500.

The idea is discriminatory. Even rich have trouble paying their bills, and they watch their spending just like everyone else. I make over 100 and I am in a 40 thousand dollar credit card hole - for about 10 years now - I can't seem to climb out of (kids in college etc.).

Life is expensive and every little bit helps. Like 2,500 bucks from the state.

So hold your horses y'all.

"Every community deserves clean air, regardless of wealth."
Is air pollution really that localized? I wouldn't expect a gated community to provide protection from automobile emissions happening in the next town.

The CA Investor Owned Utilities (IOUs) are fleecing the rate payers w some of the highest electric rates in the country. While those expensive kWH may be cheap "gas" all the other household usage is over-charged. The well-to-do (and higher $$'s) buy solar, but
the rest of the electric rape-payers in CA are fleeced. Public Benefit Utility (PBU) areas have reasonable rates. This is all "enforced"
by the CPUC who maintains the monopoly.

Ex: PG&E residential, high-tier, 34 to 56c/kWH peak summer, vs Silicon Valley Power 10c/kWH all day all night all year.

If you manage your charging properly PG&E fuel is still 75% off the price of gasoline (75 cents or less). The enviro effect? Priceless.

Back