L1 vs L2 Charging Costs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevegarris

Can anyone tell me what the electrical cost difference is between the L1 and EVSE Upgrade L2 when charging at home?

If the L1 takes 8 hours to charge, and the L2 takes only 2 hours, will the electricity cost be only 1/4 for the L2?

stevegarris said:
Can anyone tell me what the electrical cost difference is between the L1 and EVSE Upgrade L2 when charging at home?

If the L1 takes 8 hours to charge, and the L2 takes only 2 hours, will the electricity cost be only 1/4 for the L2?
Electricity isn't priced by L1 vs. L2. It is charged by kWh, ie the amount of energy consumed.

It generally takes the same amount of energy to charge via L2 or L1 so the cost is pretty close. The only difference is the efficiency of the charger in the car. I'm not sure on the Leaf, but for the Chevy Volt, L1 charging is notably less efficient.

Due to fixed parasitic losses, L1 charging is about 15% less efficient than L2 charging. In other words, L1 charging costs about 15% more than L2.

stevegarris said:

Back