L Prize Winning LED Bulb to Go on Sale Earth Day (April 22)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drees said:
IBELEAF said:
I replaced 15 bulbs at this price which is $255, the ones would've been $500 more.
Well, you should have just gotten some CFLs, then - 15 "60 watt" CFLs would have been around $25 or so. 10 times cheaper than LEDs!

It's like saying you should've gotten a Prius instead of Leaf... Never liked CFLs. They don't work with most dimmers, slow to warm up and don't have the best CRI.

Don't mind the price, if they REALLY last 20 years. The problem is that saving a light-bulb receipt for 20 years doesn't exactly come naturally. If one fails at 5 years I'll feel cheated. If an incandescent blows right out of the box ... oh well. Not even worth the effort to get a refund. Still, I'll be getting a few soon. Definitely performance advantages over the CFLs we use (which seemed outrageously expensive at the time).

Not sure I'd be sticking a $50 bulb in an outdoor fixture at this point. Your neighborhood may vary :roll: . I think the CFLs will have to soldier on in that application for us. Which is just as well as long on-cycles are what they are best suited for.

IBELEAF said:
drees said:
IBELEAF said:
I replaced 15 bulbs at this price which is $255, the ones would've been $500 more.
Well, you should have just gotten some CFLs, then - 15 "60 watt" CFLs would have been around $25 or so. 10 times cheaper than LEDs!
It's like saying you should've gotten a Prius instead of Leaf... Never liked CFLs. They don't work with most dimmers, slow to warm up and don't have the best CRI.
Which was my point - comparing the L prize bulb to the AmbiantLED bulb is the same thing, just on the next level. After all - you're willing to pay 10x more for a LED bulb than a CFL with the same efficiency but subjectively better CRI. The L prize bulb (at 2-3x more than your current "affordable" LED) is also that much better than current LEDs. Nothing else comes close in terms of efficiency and light quality.

Don't get me wrong I like everything about the new bulb except the current price. $25 vs $255 is easier to swallow then vs $750, for same 15 bulbs with improvements that offer little value to me at $50 each.

IBELEAF said:
Looks like it got pulled again. They've been selling for $17 for at least 3 month and selling out occasionally, but always had more stock coming in. I replaced 15 bulbs at this price which is $255, the ones would've been $500 more.

Those $15-$17 deals for AmbientLEDs are because of local utilities subsidies. The correct retail prize for everyone is $25.

The L Prize will also receive subsidies from local utilities. Once they are, they are going to be priced from $20 onwards. see http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/17/philips-l-prize-winning-light-bulb-goes-on-sale-earth-day/

With subsidies, these L Prize bulbs will be more value for money than the AmbientLEDs over its lifetime considering its much higher 30% better watt/lumens performance.

Here is a bulb I just noticed which is 9 watt and 900 lumens @ $20. Also highly rated.

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Lifetime-Guarantee-G7-Power/dp/B0064AE2K4/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hmm that last bulb on amazon seems suspicious. @ 900 lumens and only 9 watts (assuming that met the other easy varibles) this should have qualified for the L prize as well (it can be awarded multiple times). Since there is no mention or praise of that, one of those numbers has to be false. Or it may have not qualified by having a short life or something, it's suspicious in my book.

As for the Philips L prize over its older philips LED bulb (or other LED bulbs in general), its the Lumens that make all the difference for me. The L-prize really hits an standard 60w incandecent lumen output, the older philips LED was close, but not quite there (and most CFLs are still not over 900 lumens for their standard "60w equivalent"). Thats why I am super weary of most LED bulbs; they will claim "60w equivalent" only to output a paltry 500 or 600 lumens which is NO WHERE close to a "60w equivalent."

Not to stir the pot, but if you might want to consider VU1's ESL R-30 65w floodlight replacement as well. It's only been available in very limited quantities to this point, but they should be ramping up production in the next few months. It's basically a CRT in a bulb (yeah, back to the future...).

19.5w for a 65w equivalent, color temps comparable to an incandescent, ~ 10,000 hour life, ~ $15.00 USD MSRP.

They'll be partnering with Lowes for a nationwide rollout. It's already on the Lowes website here (including a number of reviews from early adopters).

Disclaimer: I'm not an investor or schill, just interested in the technology. CFL doesn't work for me, either.

Nubo said:
Not sure I'd be sticking a $50 bulb in an outdoor fixture at this point. Your neighborhood may vary :roll: .
Don't overestimate your local criminals. About two years ago someone tried to break into my house. They tried to open a window and break through the door, even turned a (LED) light off so that they would not be seen, but ultimately left with nothing. There were 3 expensive LEDs within easy reach.

On a different note: I have completely eradicated incandescents from my house except for the ones in the fridge and oven. Any ideas how to replace those?

lukati said:
On a different note: I have completely eradicated incandescents from my house except for the ones in the fridge and oven. Any ideas how to replace those?

Personally I view the oven as a perfect place for the incandescent, no need to spend tons of money on that rarely used light, which fits the requirements perfectly. (the heat from the light helps offset the fuel costs of the oven right ;) )

The fridge should be easier as it is cold, but can't say I have seen a replacement light yet.

-Matt

Pipcecil said:
Hmm that last bulb on amazon seems suspicious. @ 900 lumens and only 9 watts (assuming that met the other easy varibles) this should have qualified for the L prize as well (it can be awarded multiple times).
It doesn't meet the CRI or directional light direction requirements (too focused) of the L prize. It's not hard to build a LED that is 90 lumens/watt or better - building one that does it and also meets the other requirements is!

ahagge said:
Not to stir the pot, but if you might want to consider VU1's ESL R-30 65w floodlight replacement as well.

19.5w for a 65w equivalent, color temps comparable to an incandescent, ~ 10,000 hour life, ~ $15.00 USD MSRP.
Better efficiency than an incandescent, but only 25 lumens/watt. Only worth it if a CFL or LED does't work for you for some reason.

CFL and LEDs are much more efficient. Another year and we should have a PAR30 bulb that also meets L prize specs if not sooner. Already have many that are close.

Interesting question, is there even a viable technology replacement for incandescent that can withstand temperatures up to 500 degrees F? If exempted from the rules the 40 watt appliance bulb may be the ultimate fallback for those wanting to cling to incandescent after their stockpiles run out :lol:

As for the fridge/freezer LED should be good, right? I've gotten funky results from CFLs in porch lights in below freezing temps.

drees said:
It doesn't meet the CRI or directional light direction requirements (too focused) of the L prize. It's not hard to build a LED that is 90 lumens/watt or better - building one that does it and also meets the other requirements is!
Yet, you will not find any other bulbs with these specs at this price. I ordered one to try out because I doubt that 60+ mostly positive reviews are wrong. Also, this bulb comes with lifetime guarantee, assuming the company would still exist.

According to guidelines I didn't see any requirement about the light not being directional, but the only requirement it doesn't meet is the CRI at >90

http://www.lightingprize.org/pdfs/PAR38_IntegrityGuidelines_Mar12_FINAL.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for the fridge/freezer LED should be good, right? I've gotten funky results from CFLs in porch lights in below freezing temps.
Some new fridges already come with LED lights, so I don't see this being an issue.

IBELEAF said:
According to guidelines I didn't see any requirement about the light not being directional, but the only requirement it doesn't meet is the CRI at >90

http://www.lightingprize.org/pdfs/PAR38_IntegrityGuidelines_Mar12_FINAL.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Intensity distribution is indeed a requirement to win the L prize. The L prize bulb must meet intensity distribution similar to a Halogen bulb for the PAR38 contest.

Search the doc for intensity distribution.

Here's a document showing how close the Philips 60W L prize winner is to a regular incandescent bulb, especially compared to your "typical" LED: http://www.lightingprize.org/pdfs/LPrize_eUpdate_Jan2012.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LTLFTcomposite said:
Interesting question, is there even a viable technology replacement for incandescent that can withstand temperatures up to 500 degrees F?

Well, if you have a gas oven there might be... :lol:

COLEMAN_insta_clip_MANTLES-500x500.jpg

I've been using 4 Phillips ambientLED bulbs in my outdoor wall lamps, front door and garage, since December with no problems. CFLs don't work so good in the cold weather here, and the convential/halagon bulbs seem to break frequently.

Back