Good thing we're saving all that oil and carbon and stuff!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTLFTcomposite

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/8004316/ns/video/#51984643" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's very comforting, knowing that I can work in a place like this, not have to necessarily be worried about my job, and know that I'm going to be able to provide for my family.

I would love to have a big RV bus when I retire. Hopefully they will be EVs by then, and drive themselves down the interstate, and have at least 100 mile range with solar panels to recharge & run everything when we are camping. Wouldn't it be awesome if you could drive 100 miles, QC, drive 80 more, stop for the night (charging) and do it again the next day, day after day, seeing the entire country?

In defense of the RV, a family of five piling into the thing for a trip to the Grand Canyon may be getting the same more passenger miles per gallon than if they had flown.

If batteries improve, why not an EV RV?

Last I checked air travel was actually fairly fuel efficeint. Probably better than an RV assuming the plane is full.

EV RV would be great IMO. Although I would probably opt for an EREVRV with maybe 12 to 15 kW diesel generator.

smkettner said:
Last I checked air travel was actually fairly fuel efficeint. Probably better than an RV assuming the plane is full.

EV RV would be great IMO. Although I would probably opt for an EREVRV with maybe 12 to 15 kW diesel generator.

A quick internet search suggested (ignoring an immense number of variables) that a full 737 might yield about 100 passenger miles per gallon of jet fuel. Assuming you could obtain 20mpg in an RV, a five-passenger load would get 100 passenger miles per gallon of gasoline.

Nubo said:
smkettner said:
Last I checked air travel was actually fairly fuel efficeint. Probably better than an RV assuming the plane is full....

A quick internet search suggested (ignoring an immense number of variables) that a full 737 might yield about 100 passenger miles per gallon of jet fuel. Assuming you could obtain 20mpg in an RV, a five-passenger load would get 100 passenger miles per gallon of gasoline.

The main reason your CO2 pollution from air travel may far exceed that caused by your vehicle use, is that the faster speed allows you to produce many times the emissions per hour.

So, your one transcontinental trip by air may pollute more than the total land vehicle emissions you produce over several months, even if you drive a POS-ICEV-SUV, or that you produce in over a year, if you drive a BEV like a LEAF.

And air travel in the USA receives the largest subsidies from taxpayers by far, just to encourage our grossly polluting travel habits...

Nubo said:
smkettner said:

My aging F150 pulling a small travel trailer gets 8 MPG. Big class A gets 5 to maybe 10 mpg diesel. Not sure if a class B (van) even gets 20mpg and that would be tight for 5.

Some people flit back and forth cross country every week by air, whereas a cross country road trip in an RV or even by car is more like a once (or few) in a lifetime experience. The polar bears probably wouldn't see eye to eye with me on this, but boy those RV trips were some great family memories.

Back