Just Passed 15,000 Miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just rolled over 10,000 miles yesterday! The Leaf is our only car though and I drive roughly 60 miles a day and we usually do about 100 miles of driving on the weekends. Did the 7,500 mile tire rotation at the dealership just to see what they would do. Cost $15 and included a pretty good car wash. :D

surfingslovak said:
TaylorSFGuy said:
So far so good, but I do have a nagging concern that it won't work out like I hoped.
I think it's reasonable to assume that the lithium batteries Nissan is using will perform at least as well as the NiMH pack the first generation of EVs used a decade ago. Nissan is the only major manufacturer that has used li-ion for a very long time, and has a wealth R&D and data to support their design decisions. They are obviously being cautious and fairly quiet, but it's a competitive industry and they have lot to lose. That being said, there was a lot of discussion on the forum and there are some very knowledgeable and opinionated posters here. There is no consensus, but I would put the average capacity fade at 1% per 10,000 miles driven and in addition to that about 1% calender life fade per year. These are obviously speculative estimates at best, and they would apply to temperate climates. Hot climates are expected to fare worse and cooler climates are expected to do somewhat better.

According to the research I have done, internal resistance will rise as well, but not as much as was the case with NiMH and the Leaf should be usable even if the pack degraded quite a bit. Note that we have not tested this, but it should be reasonable to assume that it will indeed be the case. Nissan should repair the pack under warranty if it failed to deliver adequate power for eight years, and given your high usage pattern, I would use that for end of life estimates.

If you could relay the exact results and wording of the battery check to the forum, that would be greatly appreciated. There is some indication that Nissan will not reveal the amount or degree of pack deterioration. Reportedly, they will only give you a thumbs up or thumbs down along with some recommendations on how to prolong the life of your battery.

I don't know if this helps, but please have a look at the RAV4 EV owner gallery Darrell Dickey has assembled. I believe that Leaf's battery should perform comparably, if not better than the NiMH pack the RAV4 had.

http://www.evnut.com/rav_owner_gallery.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.evnut.com/rav_owner_100k.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.evnut.com/rav_owner_200k.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I really hope that after 100K miles this car does not degrade range by 20% (with 80% charging) and/or Nissan offers a cost effective battery refresh. The joys of being a 1.0 customer.

edatoakrun said:
There is an argument that environmental and economic costs of owning EVs will "rebound" to ICEV levels, due to owners increasing their miles driven, due to the much lower costs per mile.

Source please? I would like to tell them to remember that many BEV drivers use PVs or other renewable resources to charge their cars so it won't matter how far they drive, it will still be zero or close to zero emissions.

What, 32 miles. that is not going to do at all in the race to 100k miles. More driving in circles for you like the rest of us 100+ mile a day-ers. Moving further from work may also help :)

cdub said:
Wowsers... I only drive 32 miles a day...

I guess I am not the only one with a 75% reliable blink. I like it how the blink blames my car, "car not charging, please check the car." Kinda like a child, "not me, it's the other kid."

smkettner said:
Considering the miles you put on I would consider trading the Blink for something else.

Project Better Place in Israel has stated their batteries will last 180k miles, and that is good news for Leaf owners since its a similar battery. They dont sell the batteries so no reason they should lie about it.

TomT said:
You are not actually due for the battery report until you hit 12 months. It is time based, not mileage based.

The 15,000 mile check is more than the battery check,

The service manual says specifically the following

15,000 MILES OR 12 MONTHS

Pretty unambiguous, whichever comes first.

15,000 miles calls for new brake fluid amongst some other safety inspections. I imagine they want him to go in for safety inspections, but probably will do an interim battery check as well. I'm sure they are interested in how it's aging.

JP

SCHEDULE 1 (MORE SEVERE)
. Replace brake fluid
. Replace in-cabin microfilter
. Rotate tires
. Inspect the following:
__ Axle & suspension parts
__ Brake lines & cables
__ Brake pads & rotors
__ Charging port
__ Drive shaft boots
__ <EV Battery Usage Report>1
__ Front suspension ball joints
__ Reduction gear oil
__ Steering gear and linkage
__ Steering linkage ball joints
SCHEDULE 2 (LESS SEVERE)
. Replace in-cabin microfilter
. Rotate tires
. Inspect the following:
__ Brake lines & cables
__ Brake pads & rotors
__ Charging port
__ Drive shaft boots
__ <EV Battery Usage Report>1
__ Reduction gear oil
<This check must be performed based solely on the number of service months, not mileage>
. For the ultimate in preventative maintenance, ask your Service Advisor for a complimentary Multi-Point Inspection every time you visit your participating
Nissan LEAF certified dealer. See page 11 for more information on Multi-Point Inspections.
1 Review of the EV Battery Usage Report is required as a condition of EV battery warranty. Refer to your 2011 LEAF warranty information booklet for details. Both the 12
month and 24 month inspections will be performed by your Nissan LEAF certified dealer at no cost to the vehicle owner.

surfingslovak said:

You CAN see the actual capacity (not SOC) and it is not hidden, in addition to other detailed evidence. When I say you I mean the dealer.

Back