Just bought a LEAF and ran into a serious problem

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Batjew said:
many older houses in Atlanta are like this and I think because of the age, they are technically grandfathered, not sure how it works. I'll see about getting a 220. I'm curious, are there other options besides the Nissan L2? I'd like to find the most cost effective option.

Many options, google EVSE 240V.

I'm currently looking at getting a Bosch from here: http://www.pluginnow.com/charging_stations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
because I can get a $500 credit for getting a '14 Spark. The cheapest one is then basically free. (16A with a 12' cord only)

Clipper Creek seems to be the way to go these days for low cost and absolute reliability, some of their units have survived since the Ford Ranger/EV1/RAV4 days of the 90's and are still going strong.

Of course the AeroVironment is a good choice, with or without the Nissan brand. I've had mine for 3 years now charging my Volt. It seems to have a physical compatibility problem with the Spark though, which is why I'm looking into the Bosch.

Others will mention OpenEVSE and EVSE Upgrade.

cgaydos said:
So, I'll repeat, do not use the LEAF 120V EVSE unless it is connected to a circuit that you know is up to modern electrical code.

This is great advice. Applies to most EV's sold today. Possibly excepting the GM 120V that defaults to 8 amps. Not really though, 8 amps continuous can still make some serious heat in truly deficient wiring!

I have a dedicated 15A circuit using 45 feet of 10AWG with a 20A rated socket for my 120V EVSE's, just in case... (Both of them stay in the trunk, the Spark has never been out of there, the Volt went back in after a few months and hasn't been out since.

Back