Just became a Leaf + Volt family

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Herm said:
Many 120V receptacles are in sorry shape.. EVSE manufacturers should include temperature sensors in their 120V plugs, cant be that expensive... similar to the plugs they use for blow dryers with a built-in GFI.

It gets worse than that. I found out the hard way last winter when we were using space-heaters around the house for a few days when our central heat was out. Apparently my house (built in 1995) uses all 14-gauge wire. But what is worse is that they do not use the screws on the sides of wall plugs or light switches. Instead they cram them into the holes in the back. So I'd plug in a space heater in a room and a few hours later an entire circuit would die. I'd have to track it down and found that the inside of a plug or switch would have melted. So I'd raplace that one and screw the wire down tightly on the side. Then a few hours later, a different one would melt.

We added 3 rooms to our house earlier this year and I did all of the wiring myself. I used 12 gauge wire for all of the electrical sockets and I used the screws on the plug for all of them. At least I know those won't melt.

As for the EVSE in my garage. I've been using the Voltec EVSE for 2 weeks to charge my Leaf and here's what I've observed. Keep in mind that I have a dedicated 20-amp circuit that I installed just for the EVSE with a brand new 20-amp socket. When charging the car for several hours the plug will get noticeably hot. (The plug being part of the cord, not the electrical socket itself) And the long cable going to the Leaf is slightly warm. However, the Voltec unit has a low-amp setting also. I've tried that and on that setting nothing gets warm anywhere. And in most cases it will recharge my Leaf overnight even on the low setting.

Harv said:
Just added another green vehicle to my fleet!!!!!!!!!!
We just bought a red Volt last night. It would be primarily driven by my wife. But I would be taking it to Bay Area for my monthly meetings. I am glad I won't have to drive my SUV to Bay Area anymore.
I would add some picture at a later stage.
Very cool Harv, you should post at gm-volt.com too.

DANandNAN said:
Harv said:
Just added another green vehicle to my fleet!!!!!!!!!!
We just bought a red Volt last night. It would be primarily driven by my wife. But I would be taking it to Bay Area for my monthly meetings. I am glad I won't have to drive my SUV to Bay Area anymore.
I would add some picture at a later stage.
Very cool Harv, you should post at gm-volt.com too.

Thanks. I would definitely start visiting gm-volt.com.

I think I'm about to be joining you...

Every morning my wife and I figure out who is going to do the most driving under 70 miles, and they get the Leaf. The other one has to drive the ICE. Bottom line, we end up burning gas every day and not liking it.

So, with the Volt, the one driving less, can do it all electric too. So 95% percent of the time we won't have to touch gas.

Then for longer trips we are covered too.

Just seems to make a lot of sense. Love my Leaf (leased), expect I will love the Volt too, despite the "impurity" of it having a gas engine too.

Well, I would like to have a Volt. But, I am hving a hard time prying my wife out of her (so she says) Buick. Also, I balk at paying that much for a Chevy. To boot, WA waives sales tax on a LEAF, but not on a Volt or a Prius.

Saw an ad today about a big Volt sale by an area dealer - great sale prices. You guessed it - they were advertising "sale" prices as the cost after the Fed tax rebate. And I'm sure they do not make it clear that not all folks can take advantage of the tax credit if they purchase.

Cheezmo said:
I think I'm about to be joining you...

Every morning my wife and I figure out who is going to do the most driving under 70 miles, and they get the Leaf. The other one has to drive the ICE. Bottom line, we end up burning gas every day and not liking it.

So, with the Volt, the one driving less, can do it all electric too. So 95% percent of the time we won't have to touch gas.

Then for longer trips we are covered too.

Just seems to make a lot of sense. Love my Leaf (leased), expect I will love the Volt too, despite the "impurity" of it having a gas engine too.
That's what happens here too - unfortunately I don't get the Volt often enough :( ;) Don't worry about the generator, you barely notice it and the maintenance is minor (first oil change is required at 2 years!).

Congrats in advance, we'll be a two EV family very soon.

ebill3 said:
Well, I would like to have a Volt. But, I am hving a hard time prying my wife out of her (so she says) Buick. Also, I balk at paying that much for a Chevy. To boot, WA waives sales tax on a LEAF, but not on a Volt or a Prius.

Saw an ad today about a big Volt sale by an area dealer - great sale prices. You guessed it - they were advertising "sale" prices as the cost after the Fed tax rebate. And I'm sure they do not make it clear that not all folks can take advantage of the tax credit if they purchase.
LOL, it's not a run of the mill Chevy. There's loads of Cadillac, BMW, Lexus et. former owners who now own a Volt. It's really, really nice. Can't help ya with the sales tax. Maybe you should move East, there's a few states that are giving huge state refunds ;)

I can't imagine how that works, once people sit down they know they're not getting the $7,500 off up-front and they walk out P.O.'d. I guess some folks will stay and buy, but are there enough people to warrant a stunt like that?

ebill3 said:
You guessed it - they were advertising "sale" prices as the cost after the Fed tax rebate. And I'm sure they do not make it clear that not all folks can take advantage of the tax credit if they purchase.
Car dealers. What can you say? Realistically the Volt is being discounted to the point that I don't think there is a difference between its price and that of the Leaf's. To stay competitive Nissan needs to at least get the price back down to where it was last year.

Done deal. Take delivery of the Volt tomorrow (have a loaner for the night while they swap with another dealer).

Looking forward to being 99.9% electric!

Obligatory picture (so it happened)...

The Leaf was charging from the Nissan Level 2 evGo charger.
The Volt was charging from the Volt's charger.

So I guess they are married?

IMG_0345.jpg

SanDust said:
Car dealers. What can you say? Realistically the Volt is being discounted to the point that I don't think there is a difference between its price and that of the Leaf's. To stay competitive Nissan needs to at least get the price back down to where it was last year.
Where, pray tell, is the Volt being discounted? Not in this area, that I can find.

Cheezmo said:
Obligatory picture (so it happened)...

The Leaf was charging from the Nissan Level 2 evGo charger.
The Volt was charging from the Volt's charger.

So I guess they are married?

IMG_0345.jpg
Congrats, that's another great looking garage.

Someday, late in December ( :roll: ) we'll join you folks.

ebill3 said:
SanDust said:
Where, pray tell, is the Volt being discounted? Not in this area, that I can find.
http://gm-volt.com/forum/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We have one that I'd recommend. Stingray Chevrolet in Tampa is offering $2,500 under invoice (there's more than 20 forum members confirming they've bought from them). Not $2,500 off of sticker, but off of invoice. They also can complete the sale via FedEx then have the car shipped to you for $500-1000. For example, MNL forum member (and Leaf owner) Shrink bought from them and had them ship him the car. There's also Keys Chevrolet in California. They started giving the same deal, but only a few members have confirmed it so far. And, just having the threat of these dealers may entice your local dealers into giving you a better deal.

So, great deals on Volts are out there. Now, where can I get an incredible deal on a 2013 Leaf 6.6?

First night with the Leaf and a new Volt in the garage. The Volt was plugged into the 240 which makes a clunk I can hear in the master bathroom when it clicks on.

At 6:30 AM, I heard the clunk. The Volt had turned on its battery temperature management. Really, I thought? That early in the morning?

Turns out the ambient temperature in my garage is still 92. The Volt keeps the battery at 90 or lower when plugged in.

I felt very sad for the poor Leaf sitting there next to it with its 100% charge (have a long drive to make this morning) with its battery baking away...

Congrats Steve on your Volt. What about keeping Leaf outside, it may look like less love for Leaf, but will cool some, here 89F outside at 1 am.

Cheezmo said:
At 6:30 AM, I heard the clunk. The Volt had turned on its battery temperature management. Really, I thought? That early in the morning?
I have noticed similar things. We charge our Volt on the Nissan branded Aerovironment 240V EVSE. It is mounted on the garage wall opposite of my home-office. So as I'm sitting in there working on my computer I hear several clunks of the relay. I have noticed the Volt will stop charging for a few minutes and then start up again during the middle of its charge cycle. I'm not sure if it has something to do with balancing or temperature control.

Congrats on the combo. Very cool.

Cheezmo said:
Turns out the ambient temperature in my garage is still 92. The Volt keeps the battery at 90 or lower when plugged in.
I felt very sad for the poor Leaf sitting there next to it with its 100% charge (have a long drive to make this morning) with its battery baking away...
GM-Volt post: Volt-thermal-management-system-temperature-band
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?5243-Volt-thermal-management-system-temperature-band&p=48601#post48601" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back