July Plugin Sales : Leaf 395, Volt 1849, PIP 688, FFE 38

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
EdmondLeaf said:
Japan’s second- largest carmaker, will overcome a slowdown in deliveries of its all-electric Leaf vehicle, doubling U.S. sales to 20,000 during its current fiscal year, the vice chairman of its U.S. unit said A new plant in Smyrna, Tennessee, will be ready to make the cars in December, helping boost supply before the fiscal year ends in March, Nissan’s Bill Krueger said in an interview yesterday in Los Cabos, Mexico
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...es-doubling-as-factory-begins-production.html

I agree with Scott. I think they are referring to doubling their total sales to 20k by March of 2013. It makes it sound good, but matching a 12 month sales figure in 15 months is not very impressive. It is still going to keep running at around 500/mo, and as long as that is acceptable to Nissan, the EV revolution will continue. There is just not enough value to the customer for any additional sales at this point. Tesla Model S will outsell the Leaf in 2013.

palmermd said:
EdmondLeaf said:
Japan’s second- largest carmaker, will overcome a slowdown in deliveries of its all-electric Leaf vehicle, doubling U.S. sales to 20,000 during its current fiscal year, the vice chairman of its U.S. unit said A new plant in Smyrna, Tennessee, will be ready to make the cars in December, helping boost supply before the fiscal year ends in March, Nissan’s Bill Krueger said in an interview yesterday in Los Cabos, Mexico
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...es-doubling-as-factory-begins-production.html

I agree with Scott. I think they are referring to doubling their total sales to 20k by March of 2013. It makes it sound good, but matching a 12 month sales figure in 15 months is not very impressive. It is still going to keep running at around 500/mo, and as long as that is acceptable to Nissan, the EV revolution will continue. There is just not enough value to the customer for any additional sales at this point. Tesla Model S will outsell the Leaf in 2013.
It will be interesting to see if the high-temp problems are having a major effect on sales yet, or whether that will start showing up in a big way next month.

BTW, I hope EVNow corrects the U.S. Leaf sales figures for April and May when he updates the list.

GRA said:
It will be interesting to see if the high-temp problems are having a major effect on sales yet
Or gas prices dropping... below $3 in some areas.

Less reason to buy, more reason not to.

GRA said:
BTW, I hope EVNow corrects the U.S. Leaf sales figures for April and May when he updates the list.
Ouch ... I hadn't noticed the mistake. Will get corrected tomorrow.

Volt - June 2012 -- 1760

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2012/Jul/gmsales.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DETROIT – General Motors Co. (NYSE: GM) today reported June sales of 248,750 vehicles in the United States, up 16 percent year over year and the company’s highest sales since September 2008. Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac all reported double-digit increases.
<snip>
GM’s newest vehicles continue to perform well. Sales of the Buick Verano were 4,091 in June, and have increased each month since the car launched in December 2011. Chevrolet Sonic sales were 6,785 units and it is the retail sales leader in its segment. The new Cadillac XTS began arriving in showrooms in June, and dealers delivered more than 750 vehicles. Over the course of 2012 and 2013, 70 percent of GM’s nameplates will be all-new or redesigned.
PDF breakdown PDF: http://media.gm.com/dld/content/Pages/news/us/en/2012/Jul/gmsales/_jcr_content/rightpar/sectioncontainer/par/download/file.res/Deliveries%20June%202012.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EdmondLeaf said:
Leaf June 2012 - 535
June 2011 - 1708
I do not think supply is limiting factor

any info on the geographical distribution of that 535?

is it mostly in established areas or is it just in the newer areas recently opened up?

reason i ask is that i have seen probably an additional 10-15 Leafs in my area alone over the past 3-4 months. before i would see another one (driven by a person i most likely knew since there were only 5-6) maybe once every 10-14 days or so. but now, its 2-3 nearly every time i am out driving around town.

More than 32,000 LEAFs sold globally.

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/channels/us-united-states-nissan-zev/releases/nissan-leaf-backs-into-the-future" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Nissan LEAF was the first mass produced EV winning the European, World and Japanese car of the year 2011. More than 32,000 units have been sold globally since its introduction in December 2010, making Nissan LEAF the world's most selling electric vehicle.

It will be interesting to see the PIP numbers. I'm getting the feeling that limited range vehicles are a hard sell if people have a choice of getting EREVs/hybrids that get similar government incentives (tax credits, HOV lane access, etc).

I think I was wrong about statement of people waiting in newly open states. I think all in MO, KS and OK got their cars, not sure about north, some dealer reported here that have 28 orders in MN, but I think that was 3 wk ago (time go to fast) so probably also completed. In OKC you can buy Leaf directly from dealer, but maybe in not selling here due to unsolved hot weather issue. Mossy Nissan have 26 in stock so that will satisfy most in MN.

EdmondLeaf said:
I do not think supply is limiting factor
I used to think it was, but I now agree it is not. Anecdotally, our local Nissan dealer had one show up out-of-the-blue recently. I don't think they've sold it yet even though I tipped an interested friend.

I suspect many are going to take a wait-and-see with pure EVs. It seems GM's marketing was spot-on for the Volt having a range extender.

Can we get LEAF sales by state?

I think in California green HOV stickers (Volt,PIP) are beating white HOV stickers (LEAF).

It is quite possible Tesla Model S will out sell the LEAF if things don't improve for the LEAF.

I wonder how many people are waiting for the 2013 LEAF since there are significant improvements that are well known?

mkjayakumar said:
I can't believe OKC is considered a hot climate region..

looking at the weather map this past week, i am thinking i need to reevaluate my thinking on "hot spots" as well. but then again, i was near the area back in the 80's and 100º was no stranger there

DaveinOlyWA said:
mkjayakumar said:
I can't believe OKC is considered a hot climate region..
looking at the weather map this past week, i am thinking i need to reevaluate my thinking on "hot spots" as well. but then again, i was near the area back in the 80's and 100º was no stranger there
http://www.intellicast.com/National/Temperature/HighToday.aspx
wgfhi.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back