July Plugin Sales : Leaf 395, Volt 1849, PIP 688, FFE 38

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RegGuheert said:
So, really, ONLY Seattle is comfortable right now! ;)

its 68º in Oly and the Sun has been out for nearly an hour! still wearing shorts but with a hooded sweatshirt

**edit** oh well, maybe it aint quite that warm. the front thermometer is 68 but the back one (more reliable since its almost never has sun on it) is only 62...

DaveinOlyWA said:
RegGuheert said:

its 68º in Oly and the Sun has been out for nearly an hour! still wearing shorts but with a hooded sweatshirt

**edit** oh well, maybe it aint quite that warm. the front thermometer is 68 but the back one (more reliable since its almost never has sun on it) is only 62...
We will have that kind of temp sometime in Oct.

evmike said:
I wonder how many people are waiting for the 2013 LEAF since there are significant improvements that are well known?
You can count us as waiting for the 2013. The 6.6 is so much faster that it's worth waiting for. Hopefully they make other changes too, but the 6.6 is reason enough to not buy a 2012 Leaf - at least for us.

OTOH we just found out that the first Ford dealer is now EV certified but has no FFE - yet. When they get them in next month it's going to be really hard for us to wait till next year for the 2013 Leaf.

evmike said:
I wonder how many people are waiting for the 2013 LEAF since there are significant improvements that are well known?
Can you provide source where all significant improvements to 2013 Leaf are listed?

EdmondLeaf said:
evmike said:
Can you provide source where all significant improvements to 2013 Leaf are listed?
I don't believe there is an actual list, it's all conjecture and hearsay. At the same time, it would be foolish for Nissan to publish a list or confirm the improvements when they're still about 5 months away from the new model and the improvements are so much better (at least the 6.6 IMHO) than the current model they're trying to sell.

EdmondLeaf said:
evmike said:

i 2nd that question. Nissan "alluded" to things not specified. other than 6.6 kw charging, there is no other specifics. as far as wanting to wait for 6.6; i understand the point but with DCFCs finally starting to populate the area i am not seeing a huge reason to wait for that.

what i would wait for is the implied improvement in climate controls and battery management. after all, it was stated that improvements would greatly enhance winter time performance

RegGuheert said:
69F here north of San Diego, and plenty of Leafs to be seen.
One day last week, for the first time on my regular 1-hour beach-cruiser ride, i saw at least one Leaf of every color.

I don't think hitting a peak of 90 and 100F during the day and then dipping back to the high 70s shuold be a problem. It is the sustained heat index of staying at an average of 90+ throughout a 24 hour period, day after day - should be a real cause for concern.

AZ, TX and a few areas fit that pattern.

DaveinOlyWA said:
i 2nd that question. Nissan "alluded" to things not specified. other than 6.6 kw charging, there is no other specifics. as far as wanting to wait for 6.6; i understand the point but with DCFCs finally starting to populate the area i am not seeing a huge reason to wait for that.e

They have also announced that the 2013 Leaf will have a heat pump for a heater which should give it better range in colder climates. http://www.plugincars.com/2013-nissan-leaf-heating-system-66-kw-charger-119180.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One thing that stuck out to me from this article:

Perry says that Nissan is on track to double LEAF sales in 2012 and he expects volume to hit 2,000 units per month in the US by late summer.

mkjayakumar said:
I don't think hitting a peak of 90 and 100F during the day and then dipping back to the high 70s shuold be a problem. It is the sustained heat index of staying at an average of 90+ throughout a 24 hour period, day after day - should be a real cause for concern.

AZ, TX and a few areas fit that pattern.
DFW
Year Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Annual
2011 42.7 47 60.8 72.2 75.2 87.6 90.1 90.3 77.4 67 55.4 44.1 67.5

OKC
Year Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Annual
2011 36 41.3 53.6 64.5 68.9 84.1 89.2 89 72.4 63.1 50.3 41.1 62.8

DFW- OKC 6.7 5.7 7.2 7.7 6.3 3.5 0.9 1.3 5 3.9 5.1 3 4.7
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=oun
As you see there is not that much difference between DFW and OKC during summer months. JUNE -OCT

gsleaf said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
i 2nd that question. Nissan "alluded" to things not specified. other than 6.6 kw charging, there is no other specifics. as far as wanting to wait for 6.6; i understand the point but with DCFCs finally starting to populate the area i am not seeing a huge reason to wait for that.e

They have also announced that the 2013 Leaf will have a heat pump for a heater which should give it better range in colder climates. http://www.plugincars.com/2013-nissan-leaf-heating-system-66-kw-charger-119180.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One thing that stuck out to me from this article:

Perry says that Nissan is on track to double LEAF sales in 2012 and he expects volume to hit 2,000 units per month in the US by late summer.
If I lived in a condo/apartment with no way to charge overnight I'd worry about the L3 because you have no other choice. But, we don't, so L3 is far from a necessity for most.

Home heat pumps (can) work as AC units too. Who knows, maybe this will help owners in warmer states too. It's just transferring energy.

I don't know why Nissan execs keep saying 2,000/month now and 20K/MY. Without changes this seems to be impossible/implausible.

gbshaun said:
RegGuheert said:
Sorry! I certainly didn't mean to slight our friends in San Diego! Yes, it looks very nice there, also!

I've always felt the easiest job in the world is weatherman (or rather, weather woman) in San Diego! :D

RegGuheert said:
gbshaun said:
RegGuheert said:
Sorry! I certainly didn't mean to slight our friends in San Diego! Yes, it looks very nice there, also!

I've always felt the easiest job in the world is weatherman (or rather, weather woman) in San Diego! :D
Bay Area weatherpersons have it pretty cushy too, at least in summer - "Night and morning fog along the coast, widespread clearing inland by mid-day." Mail that in once a week, and you're usually good from late May to early September. :D

From http://insideevs.com/june-2012-plug-in-electric-vehicle-sales/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PiP 695 (in 14 states), i 33, FFE ~50 SWAG.

It seems the PiP peaked early, and people who want the HOV stickers in a PHEV are opting for the Volt, as the structure of the incentives favors it. Those who just want max. mpg are presumably sticking with the gas Prius.

I don't know why Nissan execs keep saying 2,000/month now and 20K/MY. Without changes this seems to be impossible/implausible.

Because otherwise, they'd have to say "We're extremely disappointed and it looks like our new sales goal this year is 2000 units total by the end of 2012."

Train said:

Because otherwise, they'd have to say "We're extremely disappointed and it looks like our new sales goal this year is 2000 units total by the end of 2012."
I realize you're using a bit of hyperbole, but at current rates it looks like they might make 6-7,000 or so for the year. A quick mental tally comes up with 3,148 for the CY so far. Terrible, to be sure.

I have the Volt at 8,817 YTD, with the monthly sales increasing slightly over each of the last few months. It will be interesting to see whether lower gas prices negatively affect all EV sales next month, and whether the Leaf is more affected due to that plus the temp issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back