July Plugin Sales : Leaf 395, Volt 1849, PIP 688, FFE 38

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the Leaf wasn't mentioned in the "Nissan Highlights." In fact, it wasn't mentioned at all. Which tells me that sales were in the lower three digits. Heck, they sold over 8000 Versas.

510. At this rate they'll sell maybe 5000 for the year. Maybe.

Disappointing number. I was hoping for something near 1000. We've seen a few new posters and I've seen a couple of Leafs with temporary plates.

While the Leaf May number is bad, the numbers for the PIP and the Volt may be of more concern. Toyota delivered 1086 PIPs. GM delivered 1680 Volts. While both have some supply issues, you have to think that their run rate is at best 2000-2500 per month. Since it appears that the Leaf is a harder sell than either of these two vehicles, PIP and Volt sales may be setting a ceiling for Leaf sales. While this would have made the comparison seem worse for May, it would have been much more reassuring if PIP and Volt sales had been higher.

I think it will improve , Nissan will be advertising the Leaf much more when the 2013 is out.
hopefully they will do some minor cosmetic tweaks (17 inch wheels) and appeal to some additional buyers

availability and priceing / lease deals should help too

some TV ads would help too

mostly the car needs to be sportier and appeal to a wider range of buyers

So 510 vs 370 for the previous month? At that rate they will sell nearly 16k in the Jun-Dec period.

Don't expect gas prices to bolster demand though as oil keeps dropping. Expect to start seeing gas prices that start with "2".

As with the Volt and PiP, I still believe it is more about price than anything else.

kmp647 said:
I think it will improve , Nissan will be advertising the Leaf much more when the 2013 is out.
hopefully they will do some minor cosmetic tweaks (17 inch wheels) and appeal to some additional buyers

you think it will help that the base model might be cheaper than the current SV ?

what if the base car was 29900 ? before incentives ?

no Nav

LTLFTcomposite said:
So 510 vs 370 for the previous month? At that rate they will sell nearly 16k in the Jun-Dec period.

Don't expect gas prices to bolster demand though as oil keeps dropping. Expect to start seeing gas prices that start with "2".
Nissan needs to send more to CA. Current average price of gas is $4.22 on gasbuddy.com

Less than $3 is still a loooong way off over here.

kmp647 said:
I'm still optimistic too. I was an early adopter in the hybrid market too. The first few years it seemed like I was the only hybrid on the road. It was rare to see another one anywhere. Sales numbers were low over the whole US (and maybe the whole world). But a few years later it picked up. Now, even here in Texas, I can walk through any parking lot and see at least 3 or 4 hybrid vehicles. With Toyota's new line-up, I expect to see a lot more over the next few years.

I think the EVs will take time. I admit I'm disappointed that it isn't happening faster. I had originally hoped that Nissan would be selling 100,000 units this year. I guess that isn't going to happen.

I also agree that a lower price point would certainly attract more buyers. But I don't think that is the only issue. Most folks are still totally unaware of the technology. I've had people comment about my Leaf being "cute" and were surprised to know it was an electric car. They didn't even know such a thing existed. Even with the new Volt we got a few days ago, we were picking up my Daughter from daycare and some moms were commenting in the parking lot about how nice looking of a car it was, but they thought it was a Malibu.

adric22 said:
kmp647 said:
I'm still optimistic too. I was an early adopter in the hybrid market too. The first few years it seemed like I was the only hybrid on the road. It was rare to see another one anywhere. Sales numbers were low over the whole US (and maybe the whole world). But a few years later it picked up. Now, even here in Texas, I can walk through any parking lot and see at least 3 or 4 hybrid vehicles. With Toyota's new line-up, I expect to see a lot more over the next few years.

I think the EVs will take time. I admit I'm disappointed that it isn't happening faster. I had originally hoped that Nissan would be selling 100,000 units this year. I guess that isn't going to happen.

I also agree that a lower price point would certainly attract more buyers. But I don't think that is the only issue. Most folks are still totally unaware of the technology. I've had people comment about my Leaf being "cute" and were surprised to know it was an electric car. They didn't even know such a thing existed. Even with the new Volt we got a few days ago, we were picking up my Daughter from daycare and some moms were commenting in the parking lot about how nice looking of a car it was, but they thought it was a Malibu.
What was most interesting to me is that the Volt sold more than the PiP in May, the opposite of last month.

Yes, EV's will take time. Someday they may comprise a larger market share but it seems the Volt is the best of both worlds: An electric propulsion car for most of the daily driving but can also go on longer trips without plugging in.

It would definitely help if the Nissan EV was offered in a couple different body styles and perhaps Nissan will soon but the fact remains that the very limited range is its achilles heel right now (and will continue to be). The Volt can be plugged in later if you need extended range. The Leaf needs plugged in NOW if you need extended range (not to mention you have to wait...and wait...to charge).

Nissan is going to be in quite a conundrum because selling 5000 units a year isn't going to cut it. It appears that hybrids (I include the Volt here) are the preferred choice by most new buyers that want something other than just a petrol vehicle.

Cars like the Tesla model S is also a niche vehicle, a playtoy for the well to do. If you want the longer range, it's considerably more expensive.

I would get used to these numbers because I believe it's going to be this way for quite some time.

What I am seeing in California is the HOV sticker for the PiP and Volt is really killing interest in the LEAF. At work we have three new PiPs and three new Volts with green HOV stickers in the last two months. We even have a CODA. But no new LEAFs.

May 2012 US Electric Car Sales
Nissan Leaf: 510
Mitsubishi i: 85
Ford Focus EV: ?

Chevy Volt (electric hybrid) : 1,680
Toyota Plug-In Pruis (electric hybrid): 1,086
Fiskar Karma (electric hybrid): ?

evmike said:
What I am seeing in California is the HOV sticker for the PiP and Volt is really killing interest in the LEAF. At work we have three new PiPs and three new Volts with green HOV stickers in the last two months. We even have a CODA. But no new LEAFs.
What I wonder about is why the Volt re-took the lead over the PiP. Was the market for California people who just wanted HOV stickers at the lowest price largely satisfied in March and April, and the Volt sales are to more dedicated EV people? Or are people looking at the price comparison between the two cars, and recognizing that the subsidy structure advantages the Volt (which is a much nicer car)?

GRA said:
What I wonder about is why the Volt re-took the lead over the PiP. Was the market for California people who just wanted HOV stickers at the lowest price largely satisfied in March and April, and the Volt sales are to more dedicated EV people? Or are people looking at the price comparison between the two cars, and recognizing that the subsidy structure advantages the Volt (which is a much nicer car)?
I cannot help but think that total cost of ownership favors the Volt, assuming both get their drivers the HOV stickers (or not, as in other states).

GRA said:
What I wonder about is why the Volt re-took the lead over the PiP.
Perhaps many people are deciding that the 10-15 mile all-electric range of the PiP just is not worth it, but the 30-40 mile all-electric range of the Volt is enough to make a difference.

smkettner said:
Nissan needs to send more to CA. Current average price of gas is $4.22 on gasbuddy.com
All the CA dealers around me have lots of LEAFs on their lots. Unfortunately I don't see any supply shortage here, so it would appear demand has really taken a hit. I have heard that the LEAF has lost some sales to the Tesla-S, so price is not the whole answer.

Wonder if in early states there is a lot of Leaf commercials. We just started sale, but there is no Leaf commercials either on tv or radio, however huge number for Volt .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back