Joining the EV only club

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
inphoenix said:
Congrats Mihird,

I think I had also reached out this Black Leaf owner for a possible lease takeover and was told that he has someone local. I know what you mean by shared EVSE. My Tesla and Leaf have the same fight at this time. Luckily Tesla does not need to be charged everyday so we are doing ok so far.

Oh, so you are the one who called. Lol! Yes, the owner told me, he was shocked, someone as far as Phoenix was wanting to take over the lease....:) I was in fact in Phoenix last month on a weekend vacation...we could have almost met :)

The take over deal was pretty good. Owner had 1350 miles/month left over on the lease term for 20 more months and the monthly payment is $226/month tax included.

We have a EVSEupgraded 5.6Kwish EVSE that both are sharing this week, but it is not ideal, because under PG&E Time of Use, EVs are best charged between 11.00pm & 7.00am...and that much time is not enough at 5.6Kw to load up a 24Kwh and 30Kwh battery & of course waking up midnight to switch is not practical.

I am getting the JuiceBox Pro 40 as a 2nd EVSE installed this weekend, to future proof against have to charge a 60Kwh battery anytime in the future now...

I don't think, you are in the market right now, but there is another Red 2015 SV that has come up on craigslist in the bay area for a lease transfer on CL. I think, the lease payment is only $150/month...just in case someone is interested...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5561618375.html

mihird said:
Oh, so you are the one who called. Lol! Yes, the owner told me, he was shocked, someone as far as Phoenix was wanting to take over the lease....:) I was in fact in Phoenix last month on a weekend vacation...we could have almost met :)

The take over deal was pretty good. Owner had 1350 miles/month left over on the lease term for 20 more months and the monthly payment is $226/month tax included.

We have a EVSEupgraded 5.6Kwhish EVSE that both are sharing this week, but it is not ideal, because under PG&E Time of Use, EVs are best charged between 11.00pm & 7.00am...and that much time is not enough at 5.6Kwh to load up a 24Kwh and 30Kwh battery & of course waking up midnight to switch is not practical.

I am getting the JuiceBox Pro 40 as a 2nd EVSE installed this weekend, to future proof against have to charge a 60Kwh battery anytime in the future now...

That's a good lease deal indeed. You'd love the JuiceBox Pro 40 over the EVSEupgrade. It's a great idea to future proof for the next gen of cars as we do hope that our EVSEs will last longer than our leases on first gen cars. :)

mihird said:
I don't think, you are in the market right now, but there is another Red 2015 SV that has come up on craigslist in the bay area for a lease transfer on CL. I think, the lease payment is only $150/month...just in case someone is interested...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5561618375.html

I would'v jumped on this deal if I were in the market. Though I ended up talking myself into a Tesla when you snagged the black leaf. :)

inphoenix said:
mihird said:
Do you have two EVSEs? I am debating if I should buy another JuiceBox

https://www.emotorwerks.com/store-juicebox-ev-charging-stations/202-juicebox-pro-40-smart-40-amp-evse-with-24-foot-cable

"you can set up your two (or more) JuiceBox Pro units to share one electrical line!"

I had a power failure a few weeks ago. That could be really annoying, except that it happened after charging time.
There was another outage a few days later 100 miles south of here caused by a transformer explosion that affected thousands of homes.

I ended up keeping my 1 EVSEUpgraded unit for the 24Kwh Leaf and got a Juicebox Pro 40 installed for the 30Kwh Leaf.

Last night, both cars charged simultaneously, and I think, I am now set for a few years. The JuiceBox Pro 40 should be able to load up to 60-65Kwh in 8-9 hours.

I am very happy with the JuiceBox Pro 40 experience..here in CA, we also get to earn some cashback for good charging behavior if we agree to allow the utility company to monitor my EVSE's charging patterns. In a few years of cashbacks, the JuiceBox Pro 40 should pay for itself...

ClarD said:
inphoenix said:
mihird said:
Do you have two EVSEs? I am debating if I should buy another JuiceBox

https://www.emotorwerks.com/store-juicebox-ev-charging-stations/202-juicebox-pro-40-smart-40-amp-evse-with-24-foot-cable

"you can set up your two (or more) JuiceBox Pro units to share one electrical line!"

I had a power failure a few weeks ago. That could be really annoying, except that it happened after charging time.
There was another outage a few days later 100 miles south of here caused by a transformer explosion that affected thousands of homes.

Thanks I am looking more into this and try to get a schematic of wiring for this. Though not sure if this would violate the code as the installed capacity would be more than what panel can supply.

Might just have to bite the bullet and get an additional service (upgrade from 200A to 300A/400A) from the utility company and that way I'd be set for next few years to come.

inphoenix said:
Thanks I am looking more into this and try to get a schematic of wiring for this. Though not sure if this would violate the code as the installed capacity would be more than what panel can supply.

There is no code violation. You are supposed to size a circuit so that you don't typically draw more than 80% of the rated capacity, but you could have a whole garage full of power tools plugged in to a single 15A circuit.

If you tried to run two 32Amp draws simultaneously on a 40Amp breaker, that would pop. Having two plugged in, where there is some controller that only lets one of them draw full power, is fine. That controller would be the eMotorWerks software.

https://emotorwerks.com/store-juicebox-ev-charging-stations/202-juicebox-pro-40-smart-40-amp-evse-with-24-foot-cable
"Say, you have only 40A capacity in your panel but have two Teslas (lucky you!). You can program your JuiceBox Pro units to never exceed 40A combined draw. If only one car is charging, it gets full 40A of current. When the second car shows up, the current gets shared 20A / 20A "between the two. When one of the cars finishes charging, the remaining car ramps back to 40A.

inphoenix said:
I wish there was an EVSE with two cables and some kind of load sharing mechanism.

(Though the garage would look pretty geeky with two cars plugged into one EVSE and cables going around them :) )

You can share up to four of these EVSE's. Also, programmable from 12 to 80 amps. You could literally put four on a 15 amp circuit (I don't recommend that!!!):

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/J-Wall-Premium-80A-Wall-Mounted-J1772-Charging-Station-JWALL80A.htm

Yes, we have joined this club.

I originally leased a 2011 LEAF SL in February 2012 when my wife's expensive car lease came up. She needed a car, and my workplace had installed 7! 32A EVSE's.

I leased the first LEAF and gave her my Mazda 3 to drive while she got her Masters's degree and finished her internships.

When the first LEAF lease came due, I leased a 2015 LEAF S w/ QC for another 3 years. I'm just over halfway through that lease, now.

We (she) bought a lease returned lease just this August 2016, she traded in the Mazda 3 for a lease turn-in 2012 Leaf SL. The 2012 has the original battery (10 bars) and this is more than enough for her daily drive. She charges every other day with 10 bars.

The warranty on the battery expires August 2017. Will it get down to 8 bars by then? I don't think so, but, this car meets her needs and she loves it!

When / if we need a road trip car, we rent one. We needed a road trip car once in the last few years, when we needed to go 800 miles and she didn't trust / like to drive the Mazda 3 that far. I don't think people realize how much of their driving is just around town. Excepting all day road trips, when are you ever 50+ miles from electricity? Let's just keep this our little secret. :lol:

Vince

Back