Jack

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cwerdna said:
TickTock said:
The mounting fixture is there in the US - just sans the actual jack. So I was looking for a compatible model I might be able to find from a junkyard.
TickTock said:
peggynevers said:
The mounting fixture is there in the US - just sans the actual jack. So I was looking for a compatible model I might be able to find from a junkyard.
+1
Sound familiar? :D

Take a look at peggynevers' other "posts"...
Funny! I didn't even notice that. CQTM

baronvonshush said:
TickTock said:
Does this jack fit in the jack storage space on the Leaf (after removing the fix-a-flat kit)?
It fits, but isn't as snug as I would like. The bracket in there seems like it's designed to have something snap firmly into place, but I can't figure a way to do that with the Altima jack. I currently have the jack lying on the floor of the cargo area, in its original box, since I figure it might rattle around in the storage compartment.

I took a few pictures a while back - will try to remember to post them soon.
Thanks. Since you are not using the built-in mount, I take it it really doesn't fit. But then again, I have a hard time getting my jacks to fit into the spaces they were design for in my other cars. Look forward to the pics - maybe a left-over Toyota gas pedal shim could help. :)

baronvonshush said:
TickTock said:
Does this jack fit in the jack storage space on the Leaf (after removing the fix-a-flat kit)?
It fits, but isn't as snug as I would like. The bracket in there seems like it's designed to have something snap firmly into place, but I can't figure a way to do that with the Altima jack. I currently have the jack lying on the floor of the cargo area, in its original box, since I figure it might rattle around in the storage compartment.

I took a few pictures a while back - will try to remember to post them soon.

Maybe it would be snug by wrapping a shop cloth around it? You're going to want one anyway....

Here's the 2002-2006 Altima jack:

f14da0fe.jpg

Here's the jack installed in the LEAF holder. It fits almost perfectly. I would bend out the little tang that the top of the jack fits into. I have the hex head drive for the jack pointed down and aft in the car, so that I could put a wrench on it to snug it in. Not pictured is the tool bag with the lug wrench (the heavy cast steel LEAF one, or the lighter stamped steel one that comes with the Altima. I recommend either both, or the latter only.

Be sure to throw a few sealed clean up towels, shop towels and gloves in there. Mr. Murphy says that the only time you'll need these tools is when you don't want to be dirty.

669299a0.jpg

Yes, this big plastic container with a tire patch kit will fit straight back, snug as can be, with the jack mounted. See the added Craftsman wrench (in 7/8"; didn't have a spare metric one to volunteer and 13/16" didn't fit) that is used to snug up the jack in its mount, the blue latex gloves, and the handle of the Altima lug wrench (it won't fit all the way in the bag).

60f916be.jpg

For the truly OCD, you want to get the little plastic piece that Nissan sells, that fits between the lifting jack and the car. You could probably make one out of wood.

Good info about jack -

A few weeks after I got my 2012 Leaf, I ran over a rubber cargo tiedown strap. The metal hook imbedded itself in my right front tire. It made a "thwapping" noise as it rotated around which I heard as I approached my house. Being night-time, I got a flash light and found the culprit right away. No damage to the wheel well fortunately. When I pulled the thing out, there was a pretty loud hiss of escaping air.

I had parked on a slight inline (driveway), turned on the outside lights and went to work. First, I pulled out the tire repair kit. After all the warnings about the slime clogging the pressure sensor I started looking for a jack. I had an old scissors jack, but no crank so it was off to the trunk of my Hyudai. I grabbed the jack and the spare.

I discovered the jack fit perfectly. I can't remember if I chocked the wheels, but the car didn't try to roll. Jacking the thing up was a pain. I hadn't had to change a tire in about 25 years and it took most of the jacking before I discovered the trick of the sticking the curved end of the lug wrench into the jack. That way you can rotate it around without pulling the handle out each time and repositioning. The leaf front end is heavy and you have to raise it way up to clear the big wide tire from the ground.

Here's the good part:

The lug nuts were snug, but easy to get off. The Hyundai spare fit perfectly (donut tire), even though it was at least a third narrower and not quite as tall. The next day, the car drove well with no pulling and my wife's trip to the tire store a few miles away was fine. They plugged the leaf tire and reinflated it. 15 minute job.

When I remounted the tire that afternoon, I had no pressure alarm. It came on later. I added some air with the Leaf's pump (which is actually pretty nice) and havn't had an alarm since.

mwalsh said:
mkjayakumar said:
Leaf's pump ? is this something that is in the car toolkit, or you bought it separately?
Yes, The pump is part of that mobility kit you see pictured.
It's quite a good pump. I have a very slow leak that I haven't gotten around to fixing, so I've been using it a couple of times a month. Without the goop, of course, even though I suspect that the goop might even seal the leak permanently.

Gas stations around here charge a dollar for air unless you are filling your tank, so I decided I'd save the money and spend the sixty seconds or so it takes to add air with the pump.

Ray

Given the range of my Leaf, my spare tire is in the garage. If the wife ain't home to bring it to me its AAA. Same way I deal with flats on the vette.

Awhile back returning from a climb up Mount Saint Hellens in the winter, I got a flat just a mile from the trail head (middle of no where) in my Subaru XT6 - spare lasted 4 miles till it went flat too!

Had cell phone, wife got me another tire in the garage and left to bring it to me, while AAA showed up and towed us to the interstate where we could have dinner before the wife showed up. The system works well.

mrradon said:
Given the range of my Leaf, my spare tire is in the garage.
Ditto for summer.

For winter, I'm planning to throw one of my summer wheels in the back so the wife doesn't have to drag the kids out in bad weather if I get a flat.

@TonyWilliams, thanks for posting about the $33 new jack (99550-L31001).

I'm curious where you got the price for that. Looking online for that part, I see prices in the $80 range, not $33. Do you have a link or any buying advice? FWIW, I'm in the San Francisco bay area.

Thanks!

First, I pulled out the tire repair kit. After all the warnings about the slime clogging the pressure sensor I started looking for a jack. I had an old scissors jack, but no crank so it was off to the trunk of my Hyudai. I grabbed the jack and the spare.

What year and model Hyundai? We have millions of them here, and I'd like a smaller spare than the Altima spare I carry.

As a completely different alternative, Nissan provides free tow service for Leaf owners for the first three years. So if you get a flat, they can tow you to a shop or to your home to get your spare.
1-877-NO GAS EV (1-877-664-2738)
Details and fine print here, or check your owner's manuals:
http://livingleaf.info/2011/04/nissan-leaf-roadside-assistance/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bob

Hi Tony

I called the Nissan dealer yesterday, spoke to the parts department. When I gave them the part numbers for the spare donut and jack, I was told neither pulled up anything.

When I asked him to look up the spare for the 2005 Altima, he said it was $200 just for the rim.

The official Nissan parts store shows a 2004-2005 Altima jack with the part number 98550-8J000 that got "superceded" to 99550-8J010, whatever that means? Would this be compatible?

Do you remember where you ordered the items?

Back