It's your duty to drive FAST !!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gbshaun said:
...Most important you CA drivers with carpool stickers, do NOT hold up other vehicles in the single carpool lane. If you don't have the range to drive as fast as others, pull into the regular lanes.

At least in these parts, the carpool lane is viewed as "the ultimate speeding lane", so yep, driving at the speed limit will make one a pariah. Which is really unfortunate for a LEAF driver trying to get decent range as they are forced to choose between:

A -driving at least 75 mph if not more to be seen as a "legitimate user of the ultimate speeding lane", thus greatly reducing range

B - driving at the 65 mph speed limit in the carpool lane -- legal per our laws but illegal per public opinion, the unwritten law being vigorously enforced by deliberate tailgating and other reckless behaviors.

C - being stuck in traffic in order to avoid A and B.

Nubo said:
At least in these parts, the carpool lane is viewed as "the ultimate speeding lane", so yep, driving at the speed limit will make one a pariah. Which is really unfortunate for a LEAF driver trying to get decent range as they are forced to choose...
Sad there isn't a choice D, for the citizens/drivers to pick a speed limit and then enforce it.

ICE cars suffer the same loss of efficiency at high speeds as do EV's. Usually even more so since most of them are not as streamlined as the Leaf for low air resistance. But their long range disconnects the drivers' actions from their consequences.

Leaf: Heavy right foot -> immediately -> DTE drops -> Uh oh, I might not make it there

ICE: Heavy right foot -> days later -> An extra $20 handed over to the gas station -> Darn gas is so expensive, I wonder why.

Maybe instead of radar cameras and mandated fleet MPG values the government just require ICE cars to include one more gauge - the dollar gauge. It would be like the Leaf's DTE gauge, but instead of time averaged estimated range it would display time averaged estimated dollars per hundred miles gasoline cost. Slow down to the speed limit and get 30 MPG and the gauge reads $13 / 100 mi. Punch the accelerator and it reads $67 / 100 mi. Next the display would show the total dollar amount of gasoline burned since the last fill-up.

When I have my housemate in the car, she gets twitchy if I'm over the speed limit heading down SR-99. The problem, of course, is that no one ELSE is driving the speed limit since the whole route is downhill, so I end up being the slow one by default if I'm even just /obeying/ the speed limit. (Or breaking it by a mere 5 mph instead of 15-20... yeah, let's go 60mph in the area with CROSSWALKS, people, real smart.) :/

Nubo said:
gbshaun said:
...Most important you CA drivers with carpool stickers, do NOT hold up other vehicles in the single carpool lane. If you don't have the range to drive as fast as others, pull into the regular lanes.

At least in these parts, the carpool lane is viewed as "the ultimate speeding lane", so yep, driving at the speed limit will make one a pariah...

I think of the carpool stickers as "better than a turbo". Daily I am speeding past Porsche Turbos, and other exotic cars stuck in the 'regular' lanes as the Leaf silently flies by at 75MPH in the carpool lane. Their big horsepower does them no good when traffic is congested.
People can scoff that I am not growing dashboard trees, or driving at the most efficient speed, but I still think I am basically the most efficient thing in the carpool lane, and not holding up traffic. It is rare to see any vehicles with more than 2 people inside in the carpool lane here, during commute hours, so even the "per person efficiency" is less in those big gas vehicles when you double or even triple the mileage. (e.g.: 25MPGx3 < ~99MPGe) I suppose once an a while I will see a Prius with 4 people inside, so good for them!

walterbays said:
Nubo said:
Maybe instead of radar cameras and mandated fleet MPG values the government just require ICE cars to include one more gauge - the dollar gauge. It would be like the Leaf's DTE gauge, but instead of time averaged estimated range it would display time averaged estimated dollars per hundred miles gasoline cost. Slow down to the speed limit and get 30 MPG and the gauge reads $13 / 100 mi. Punch the accelerator and it reads $67 / 100 mi. Next the display would show the total dollar amount of gasoline burned since the last fill-up.

Every time I see an F350 or Escalade or some such ludicrous monstrosity zooming away from a stoplight (so often empty - one driver no cargo) I really wish something like this would have been done a long time ago, if people could see the pennies evaporating maybe they'd start thinking about the dollars

but to the point of the thread - so often you come up on someone driving slow, I guess just nestle in behind them and let them take the heat (though I now envision a convoy of 10 LEAFs)

HighDesertDriver said:
JPWhite said:
I like to pull away from a light quickly when its raining. :mrgreen:
Rain? . . . :D

Yeah we get that here. It was raining the day I took delivery of the LEAF. Somehow something is very wrong when a brand new car gets rained on before it can get off the lot.

A bird **** on it this week as well. Now THAT's good luck :)

JPWhite said:
HighDesertDriver said:
JPWhite said:
I like to pull away from a light quickly when its raining. :mrgreen:
Rain? . . . :D
Yeah we get that here. It was raining the day I took delivery of the LEAF. Somehow something is very wrong when a brand new car gets rained on before it can get off the lot. :)
:lol: Oh yea, I remember now - precipitation from the sky. The odd part is that in the summer when the rare afternoon thunderstorm comes through here, the winds also kick up the desert dust. The little rain that reaches the ground (and our cars) actually arrives as mud. Well, maybe I am exaggerating a bit, but liquid or mud, it is a bummer to have it fall on your car before you even get home.

IBELEAF said:
I admit I was driving too slow first few weeks in the right lane. :oops: As I got comfortable with the car and overcame my range anxiety I started to enjoy left lane flying as I did with ICE car. Although not everyone happy about this...
Out of curiosity, why'd you remove the video?

I can now verify that the Leaf will do 93 mph with four, er, large adults in it (at 11:30 at night on an empty freeway). I didn't get to impress anyone but it was a bit of a rush.

I really liked the way this thread started out, but I have to say that I am a little disappointed at the ideas that some people have chimed in about justifying driving conservatively. This post wasn't about that and although that is probably the opinion of most Leaf owners, it should not be interjected into this thread. I'm not intending to offend anyone or anything like that, I'd just like to continue to hear the inputs of people who support the idea suggested by the O.P. That said; it is necessary to eliminate the perception that the Leaf is meek and slow. That is what the vast majority of this country's perception is of EV's. They will not be convinced otherwise unless they see Leafs keeping pace or passing them on the freeway when conditions allow it. If they are constantly passing Leafs on the freeway that are being passed by others as well or worse, holding up traffic, then it will just reinforce the stereo-type.

Drivesolo said:
If they are constantly passing Leafs on the freeway that are being passed by others as well or worse, holding up traffic, then it will just reinforce the stereo-type.
Perhaps, but I just take my friends and family out for a short drive to show them my Leaf. One rabbit start from a stoplight convinces them of the Leafs prowess. Typical comment: "This is like a rocket!"

Definitely not MY opinion OR style...

Drivesolo said:
I really liked the way this thread started out, but I have to say that I am a little disappointed at the ideas that some people have chimed in about justifying driving conservatively. This post wasn't about that, although that is probably the opinion of most Leaf owners.

Stoaty said:
Drivesolo said:
If they are constantly passing Leafs on the freeway that are being passed by others as well or worse, holding up traffic, then it will just reinforce the stereo-type.
Perhaps, but I just take my friends and family out for a short drive to show them my Leaf. One rabbit start from a stoplight convinces them of the Leafs prowess. Typical comment: "This is like a rocket!"
Wait...wait.... you're the guy that said he drives 52mph on the freeway, right? Which side of this "fence" do you stand on?

Drivesolo said:
Wait...wait.... you're the guy that said he drives 52mph on the freeway, right? Which side of this "fence" do you stand on?
I said ONE rabbit start (just for demo purposes). The rest of the time, I drive slow... but they know it is me, not the car. :p

Stoaty said:
The rest of the time, I drive slow... but they know it is me, not the car. :p
If a Prius seems slow, it's definitely the driver, because the car can be driven fast if needed.

However, a LEAF might be slow on the highway directly because of its biggest limitation, the range. That sort of is the car. In my case, I often drive 55 mph on the freeway (in the far right lane) for maximum range. Absent the range limitation, I'd probably be driving at least a *little* faster. :D I'm not at all complaining, though; the joy of driving electric and sticking it to OPEC brings much more pleasure than fast driving.

I am in Fort Lauderdale the average speed on I95 or the turnpike is 70-80mph with no one of very very few doing under 65 it is just become the norm here I am not suggesting it is correct just the way it is.

As of now I drive an Altima V6 coupe and yes I cruse with the fastest lane be it 65 (Speed Limit) or 80 the average speed for 60% of the vehicles driving on I95 or the Turnpike.
I am hoping when I get my Leaf that habit will be tamed somewhat but hypothetically if I am doing say 70-80 mph how far will a 100% charge take me (With AC) and how far driving at 65 will the Leaf take me. Because honestly under 65 you are a hindrance in any lane.
Once again, this is just the way people drive here, it may not be right and I am not here to pass judgment on other peoples driving habits

Can I reach 70-80mph in eco mode? Moreover, will being in that mode make any difference to the range other than when I regen slowing down?

I have on order the SL so I am assuming the solar panel will take care of the radio and??

Drivesolo said:
That said; it is necessary to eliminate the perception that the Leaf is meek and slow.
How you drive the car is unlikely to change perceptions. I don't think most other drivers think of the Leaf as an EV. They just see the small wheels and generic design and think "Weenie Car". Then they try and cut in front of you! :lol:

Brightonuk said:
I am in Fort Lauderdale the average speed on I95 or the turnpike is 70-80mph with no one of very very few doing under 65 it is just become the norm here I am not suggesting it is correct just the way it is.
Yes, I understand that driving 55 mph in the slow lane might be less socially acceptable in some regions than in others. The LEAF has no problem going fast. You can certainly do 80+ mph. Just don't count on having as much range at that speed. If your commute is not too far, then that should not be an issue for you.

Driving in ECO mode won't make much of a difference to you or other drivers; it just changes the accelerator pedal mapping to require you to push harder for the same power. It of course also gives you more regenerative braking when you take your foot off the accelerator, and limits the A/C power.

Brightonuk said:
I have on order the SL so I am assuming the solar panel will take care of the radio and??
More than anything, that little solar panel just keeps the 12 V accessory battery topped up when you have the car parked in the sun. While it looks cool and might extend the life of the 12 V battery, it won't make a measurable difference in your driving range. Don't worry about running the radio, headlights, windshield wipers, etc. Running them takes so much less power than actually propelling the car that they're not even worth worrying about. At worst, running the radio at full blast for an hour or two might affect your range by as much as one mile...

Brightonuk said:
I am hoping when I get my Leaf that habit will be tamed somewhat but hypothetically if I am doing say 70-80 mph how far will a 100% charge take me (With AC) and how far driving at 65 will the Leaf take me. Because honestly under 65 you are a hindrance in any lane.
Once again, this is just the way people drive here, it may not be right and I am not here to pass judgment on other peoples driving habits

Can I reach 70-80mph in eco mode? Moreover, will being in that mode make any difference to the range other than when I regen slowing down?

Here's a link to the forum topic regarding driving speed vs range: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4295" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Chart shows that driving without A/C or heater: 65 mph yields a 75 mile range, 70 mph yields a 68 mile range, and 75 mph yields a 62 mile range. I would assume 80 mph to be in the mid 50s for range, but that isn't available on the chart. From what I've seen with my car in northern CA with temps in the 80s, running the A/C drops range by roughly 10 miles.

So if driving at that speed is the general requirement, then I'd look very carefully at your expected driving range to see if the Leaf will work for you.

As for eco mode, there is no true restriction on driving speed. It really only affects pedal response (must speed on it MUCH harder to accelerate compared to D mode), lowers climate control, and increases regen on accelerator pedal release. Since much of the energy use depends upon how fast you accelerate and your climate control settings, eco CAN increase your range, but if you're talking about merely maintaining a constant speed than I haven't really noticed much difference for range between D and eco on the freeway going roughly 60-65 mph.

Back