Is this 2020 Leaf a good deal?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Leaf should work with any J1772 charging station without an adapter. There are some sub-standard stations you might find but in general 99% of them should work fine.

Ditto for CHAdeMO. No adapters required although sometimes CHAdeMO stations seem to be down for repair more often.

Charging rates vary from station to station but nearly all the public J1772 stations I use split 6.x kW between two plugs. So if your car is the only one there it will receive 6.x kW. If the other plug is being used also, each car receives 1/2 the power or 3.x kW.

WetEV said:
Rebbi said:
Okay, here's what I'm finding so confusing.

As I understand it, the built in charging in the car has two connectors:

1) Chademo for DC fast charging and
2) J1772 for Level 2 AC charging, is that correct?

Chademo is not offered at many public charging stations, right?

But since many charging stations to have J1772 charging, why would I need an adapter to use such a station since the Leaf supports J1772?

That's it. That's my question. ;)

Chademo is fairly widely available now, but isn't likely to grow much.

J1772 vs Chademo.

Time.

J1772 takes hours. With a 62kWh battery, about 8 hours for an 80% charge. Great, while you are sleeping. Not great for a lunch stop.

Chademo takes 10's of minutes. With a 62kWh battery, about 45 minutes for an 80% charge.

Very helpful. I think I have all the information I need now. I understand that the Leaf may not be technically state of the art in every way, but with a level 2 home charger and with the kind of driving I tend to do 95% of the time, I think it will be just about perfect. Thanks again.

Rebbi said:
Very helpful. I think I have all the information I need now. I understand that the Leaf may not be technically state of the art in every way, but with a level 2 home charger and with the kind of driving I tend to do 95% of the time, I think it will be just about perfect. Thanks again.

Bingo! We have owned Nissan Leafs since 2015. In all that time only twice did I NEED to charge anywhere other than home. I have charged at public L2 chargers that were FREE at the beach or the mall and occasional charge at a car dealership while looking at new cars. Only because it was free and it offered close to the mall parking.

Our Current 2020 Leaf SL Plus is our daily driver. The only time I used a DC fast charger was about 2 months ago.. I only charged for 9 minutes at a cost of $2.65. I just wanted a reserve to get home. Every other charge was done at my home garage or my cabin shed using a L2 charger.

We drive a 125 trip about 12 times a month between home and cabin. We charge at both ends. When we arrive I have between 60-95 miles left depending on weather and head/tail winds.

I haven’t used it for long distance trips. I have a Lexus a hybrid for that or tow my RV with my F-350 diesel beast when camping.

I don't remember the details of the OP's speciific deal but in my experience this is true (again) - https://www.motor1.com/news/606547/used-ev-prices-rise-five-times-faster-ice-cars/

Of course, trying to find a new EV at MSRP is no longer an easy task.

goldbrick said:
I don't remember the details of the OP's speciific deal but in my experience this is true (again) - https://www.motor1.com/news/606547/used-ev-prices-rise-five-times-faster-ice-cars/

Crazy market for any vehicle today. When we bought our 2020 Leaf SL Plus in December 2020, we negotiated a $4,000 dealer discount off sticker and Nissan gave us $6,500 in rebates. Since then MSRP came down about $4k but no longer can you get dealer discount or rebates.

Last year I sold my 2019 Ford F-150 to Carvana for $14,000 more than I paid for it when I bought it new.

When will this craziness end?

goldbrick said:

I have just about settled on a 2023 SV Plus. I will pay MSRP, plus about $2500 in a “protection package“ (ceramic protectant coating on the exterior paint, stain protection on the seats, protection against scratches and dings on the door, etc.) that the dealer adds to every car, which I am fairly OK with because of the market conditions and because at least it’s not like getting nothing for the $5000 “market conditions“ surcharge that our local Hyundai dealer is slapping on top of the MSRP of the Ioniq five! 🤬

With the $7500 federal tax credit and the $2500 Texas rebate, I’m looking at about a $3200 net cost, which is pretty good.

Additionally, our local utility, Austin energy, has a rebate of up to $1200 toward the purchase and installation of a level two home charger, which should make it close to free!

So basically, I will be getting a 2023 Leaf for roughly $1000 more than what they wanted for a 2020 S plus. 😁

Thanks to everybody in this forum for all the patient explaining and good advice!

That Protection Package usually costs about $1k. It should also come with chrome rear bumper protector (top of the bumper under the hatch) and a clear plastic nose protector. If it doesn't have those, then the dealer is (mis) using the name, and overcharging while not actually providing the package...

LeftieBiker said:
That Protection Package usually costs about $1k. It should also come with chrome rear bumper protector (top of the bumper under the hatch) and a clear plastic nose protector. If it doesn't have those, then the dealer is (mis) using the name, and overcharging while not actually providing the package...

Excellent. Good to know! 👍👍👍

Rebbi said:
I have just about settled on a 2023 SV Plus. I will pay MSRP, plus about $2500 in a “protection package“ (ceramic protectant coating on the exterior paint, stain protection on the seats, protection against scratches and dings on the door, etc.) that the dealer adds to every car, which I am fairly OK with because of the market conditions and because at least it’s not like getting nothing for the $5000 “market conditions“ surcharge that our local Hyundai dealer is slapping on top of the MSRP of the Ioniq five! 🤬

With the $7500 federal tax credit and the $2500 Texas rebate, I’m looking at about a $3200 net cost, which is pretty good.

Additionally, our local utility, Austin energy, has a rebate of up to $1200 toward the purchase and installation of a level two home charger, which should make it close to free!

So basically, I will be getting a 2023 Leaf for roughly $1000 more than what they wanted for a 2020 S plus. 😁

Thanks to everybody in this forum for all the patient explaining and good advice!

You are making a wise decision.

Is the 2023 on the lot? Have you locked in the deal?

With the way things are today make sure you lock in the deal gpbefore someone else grabs it.

Rebbi said:
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that Texas rebate is gone:

https://www.tceq.texas.gov/airquality/terp/ld.html

Back