Is Charger Included or Can I Get One Free???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saleem145

Hello,

I am considering leasing a Nissan Leaf. My commute will be about 20 miles each way. The range seems adequate for a Nissan Leaf and savings in gas should pay the monthly payment. I plan to charge up my car every night.

My question is do I need to buy any seperate charging hardware or is everything included. Also how much does it cost to lease. The marketing says $1999 down and $219 per month. But I read there are additional expenses on top of that.

But I also read people are driving off with as little as $1500 down?? I am based in Connecticut.

Thanks,

Saleem

The actual charger is in the car. The LEAF comes with a cord (evse) that charges from a normal 120v outlet and is rather slow. 40 to 50 miles per day is workable as is but might be limiting at times of additional use. To have faster charging you need 240 volt connection and either upgrade the existing brick for about $400 or buy a wall unit for $700 to $1200 + the power connection. If you have an unused 30 amp dryer outlet in the garage that could be utilized for the power source.

I was all worried about the 110v connection being too slow. After 3 weeks and just short of 900 miles it works fine for me. The cheapest 220v connections have been at Home Depot and Amazon at about $700. I'm in and out all day. I set the timer to charge 80% Sun to Thurs and 100% Fri and Sat. I just got my Chargepoint card for emergencies, but it hasn't been used but once just to see that it worked.
Dana
White SL
Bradenton, Fl

For $239, we can upgrade the included "brick" EVSE to charge your Leaf over 2 times faster. Add in another $48 for our full speed option, then you can charge at the full rate of 3.84kW. The times for a full charge are approximately 22 hours on the original cord (1.44kW), 10 hours for the base $239 upgrade (2.88kW), and 7 hours for the Rev2/$48 option. (3.84kW)

Our upgrades require a 240v outlet of some type. Any type can usually be used with a simple plug adapter. There is even a way to use two different standard 120v outlets (on different circuits) to provide the 240v. All of our upgrades retain the ability to still be used on standard 120v outlets as well ($25 plug adapter available).

We can provide an advance swap for a small fee to ensure you are not without a charge cord while we perform the upgrade. We have thousands of satisfied customers using our upgrades all over the world.

-Phil

I have 55 mile RT commute each day. I still use 120v in garage because it is detached and cost to get 240v to there is currently prohibitive. I have not missed a day of driving it to work. I use about 2/3 of the full charge each day. I get about 11 hours of 120v charge each night. Charge to 100% MON - FRI and 80% SAT & SUN. Start the week at 100% each MON and lose a little bit of capacity as the week goes on.

I expected to lose a day each week when I leased. Hasn't happened yet. With cold weather arriving, it will probably start happening. Although, I am fairly comfortable with seat & steering wheel heating down to 32 so far. Won't drive it in snow / ice as my alternative is a 4WD Audi A8.

Check the threads here on lease deals. You should be able to get a MUCH better deal than advertised on the 2012s as they continue to ramp up and clear stock in advance of the 2013s arrival.

Included is a 120V charging cable for plugging in at home or at work. It's in the hatch in a black Zero Emission zippered case. I spent the first few thousand miles on my LEAF using that 120V EVSE, and it worked out well. I drive about 60-miles per day.

I eventually looked into a few options for Level 2 (240V) charging- EVSEUpgrade, building my own using OpenEVSE, getting a government subsidized ChargePoint unit, or just buying a EVLink from Lowes. I tried to look into EVSEUpgrade, but they weren't able to make it happen, so I started buying parts for building my own EVSE. I simultaneously signed up for an incentive through my utility that covered $2500 of installation plus $2500 towards the purchase of a ChargePoint station. It ended up being totally free, but it took a while to get it installed. A few weeks later I finished my portable OpenEVSE. Now I use my Nissan 120V EVSE at work for trickle charging there (until they hopefully install a 240V outlet outside so I can use my OpenEVSE).

kubel said:
I tried to look into EVSEUpgrade, but they weren't able to make it happen
We try our hardest to accommodate everyone, sorry you weren't able to avail yourself of our services. You wanted to swap us a scratched up unit for a new Advance Replacement unit which unfortunately we couldn't do. We then offered to perform a double swap for an additional $20, this way you would still not have to do without your unit. Of course you could have also sent your unit in expedited. You chose none of these options.

-Phil

Back