Is Carwings glitchy for you?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FalconFour said:
Odd new message. "Leaf detected a problem and was unable to start climate control. Try again." - or something similar. The car detected a problem? Unlikely, but mmm'kay... at least it responded! :lol:
"Please try your request again. Problem detected communicating with the vehicle" five minutes ago. An "update request" had already been started and was not responding, but had not yet timed out. On top of that I set a CC timer for 10:01 (today) (rates go down at 10:00). Within 45 seconds got that message. (Done on Android phone.)

This is the must-buy gift for all LEAF owners this holiday season:

http://www.japantrendshop.com/usb-warmer-heated-slippers-dual-p-999.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I used the in-car timer this morning, and it seemed to work OK. Though I might try both timers, the second one set to go off after the first one finishes, as the car still wasn't as toasty warm as I normally likes it. One thing I did notice (and this may just be due to the colder than usual weather we're having) is that it appears to take more energy to warm the car this way, if the readings from my Gidometer are to be believed. And I didn't see the top of the pack "bump" that I generally get when I precondition.

I have not CW comments today because of:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5313&p=251982&hilit=EV+system+warning+light#p251982" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sigh...groan...

FalconFour said:
Wow... I just realized there's a solution for a great many of the people here that use pre-heat from Carwings...

I've known about this, but from some of the replies I think this feature might not be evident to some.
Thanks for that! I didn't know about the climate control timers since we are not on a repeatable schedule. This is a little fiddly but it could come in handy. Thanks again!

I'm thinking the issue has progressed far beyond the "glitchy" phase. Perhaps the thread title should now read "Is Carwings still alive?" ;)

ksnogas2112 said:
I have not CW comments today because of:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5313&p=251982&hilit=EV+system+warning+light#p251982" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sigh...groan...

Oh, dear. Well, on the plus side, it's the least of your worries now! :)

LEAFer said:
FalconFour said:
Odd new message. "Leaf detected a problem and was unable to start climate control. Try again." - or something similar. The car detected a problem? Unlikely, but mmm'kay... at least it responded! :lol:
"Please try your request again. Problem detected communicating with the vehicle" five minutes ago. An "update request" had already been started and was not responding, but had not yet timed out. On top of that I set a CC timer for 10:01 (today) (rates go down at 10:00). Within 45 seconds got that message. (Done on Android phone.)
And here's the 10:07 email that resulted from the attempt:
climate control on failed

Your request to start climate control for MyLeaf failed. There was a problem detected communicating with the vehicle. Please try your request again. Also ensure your vehicle is located in an area with cellular reception and it has been driven with the last 14 days.

So ... interestingly enough ... the Update Failed ( I got an email to that effect at 08:13 ), but the CC Timer Set (for 10:01) somehow was accepted, except it failed to implement and resulted in an email to that effect 6 minutes later.

lbarbaria said:
Well today is Thursday. I have tried to turn on the climate control remotely for a week now. Again no luck. An error message about the server. I think I read that the number of EV users has doubled from 2011 to 2012. Gosh. Clearly Nissan does not think this user community warrants the resources necessary to make the server or application work. Connectivity problems don't take weeks to resolve if the company or IT department think they are important

Similarly, CarWings developed new wrinkles this morning. Out-of-date "updates", one "timeout" after about 30 seconds (now THAT'S new....). And various update and CC request failures.

Just now, 10:30 pst I started up LEAF Link and got a fairly quick update. Wasn't going to waste battery on a CC request just to satisfy my curiosity :)

This morning I was able to log in and get a status update from carwings on the second attempt, something that hasn't happened since Dec. 16 for me. I am not using any of the mobile apps here, just entering the owner portal on my PC. What was weird is that after the status update, which correctly showed "100% charge" and "plugged in," I scrolled down to start CC remotely and the little fan icon was already spinning and only the "turn off" button was available! Since I hadn't yet requested CC to start, and there are no timers set in the car, I found this very strange. I went out to the garage and checked, and the car was NOT preheating, so this is a new error I have never seen from Carwings before. I found it ironic to have overcome the connectivity problem only to be faced with another "glitch" that prevented pre-heating the car. :(

TT

mwalsh said:
I've just got word that the Vehicle Connected Services team at Nissan was able to figure out what went wrong with Carwings and is currently working on a permanent fix. Expect an update tomorrow.

Nice. Thanks for the update. (Obviously without owners like you we'd never know what is going on)

I wonder if we'll ever know "what went wrong"

It would be interesting at least.

For now I've switched to climate control timers. With the the kids I leave somewhere between 7:30 and 8am (depends on how difficult they're being that morning), so I split the difference and did 7:40. Would be nicer to be able to turn on remotely 15m before I think we'll be ready, but oh well

Worked first try for me today! Logged in, got an update (<30s), and turned climate control on (<30s as well). Much improved. Kudos to Nissan there for finally getting it fixed.

Not so much kudos for taking this long to fix it. Also not so much kudos for it still taking a "this is so not 2013" length of time to send a request. I guess it's a bit much to ask for some upgrades to the system while we're busy fixing this huge meltdown, but hey... at least it works now :lol:

FalconFour said:
Kudos to Nissan there for finally getting it fixed.
It works ONCE for you and you proclaim it fixed?!

I got this again:
A server with the specified hostname could not be found.
Just like before this error occurred after verifying my password on the iPad while it was trying to do the automatic update at startup. I know you believe this is only an issue with my tablet, but I haven't gotten this message from any other app in the days since Carwings spit it out. Coincidence? No.

RegGuheert said:
I know you believe this is only an issue with my tablet, but I haven't gotten this message from any other app in the days since Carwings spit it out. Coincidence? No.

If it makes you feel better, I've gotten that one before today too. Don't remember if it was on iPad or iPhone though. And just the one time for me.

FalconFour said:
mig said:
Why didn't we think of that?
Probably because rebooting won't fix it... :lol: I wonder if Nissan is actually paying attention to anything I've said so far... it sounds like they might've caught on to something I said and a game of "Telephone" has gotten passed down to the people that can manage the stuff, but the specifics are all lost...

As for the Android app, that's what I use, and it's no different in any respect from the iPhone app and the Nissan website. Exactly 100% precisely the same, and I'm on Android 4.0.4 (CyanogenMod 9) with the app's latest version. Login problems earlier, but those seem to have been only temporary. Since all of Carwings uses a unified database between the iOS/Android/web methods of use, there's nothing that can really be any different between the Android version and anything else...

I'm running stock 4.1.1 on a Samsung GNex, and several other users with the same phone report it doesn't work. 4.1 is Jellybean, different release than 4.0 (Jellybean vs Ice Cream Sandwich). The phones would not connect at all, maybe the login problems you refer to. I had then when I first got the phone last December, then they weren't fixed for months, then they were, then when the OS was updated it stopped working according to others, so I am 2 updates behind on the Nissan app.

RegGuheert said:
RegGuheert said:
FalconFour said:
Kudos to Nissan there for finally getting it fixed.
It works ONCE for you and you proclaim it fixed?!
Well, it has been working since the initial problem. Let's hope you are right about it being fixed!
I was of course referring to the fact that Nissan finally found the server at fault and had fire-extinguishers pointed at it. It seems to have gotten a lot better.

As for the hostname not found thing, again it's quite unlikely to be something on Nissan's end, but I guess I can't rule it out entirely, as Nissan may be adjusting DNS to point to a different server or something while they were trying different things at the wrong end (device- and website-end) of the problem. Maybe they were switching it back. I suppose it's possible... but working in IT, I see *mmaaaaaAAAAaaanny* people with "working just fine" setups that are just one byte away from completely falling apart (and often do, but is blamed on something else). :lol: So I have a habit of erring on the "server's fine, check your router" side :p

Maybe Nissan caught wind that I took a test drive in an i-MiEV today and it lit a fire under their butts :lol:

Back