Is battery life dependent on ambient charging temperature?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RegGuheert said:
Do you think it is unreasonable to get 150,000 miles out of this battery over 20 years and still be able to make 40-mile excursions? I'm not questioning, but rather I am interested to hear your, or others', opinions.

20 years may be tough, but I think 15 years is doable, the battery ages even if not used.. Nissan seems to think 10 will be the average before that 20% degradation. It will be easy to achieve if you restrict your daily commute to about 55 miles, and that works out to about 16k miles per year. That is way above the average of 12k miles a year for US drivers. The 55 mile number comes from using 65% of the capacity of the battery on a daily basis.

Start saving a bit of money every week for that battery fund. $10 a week should do it.

Thanks for your replies on expected life! So it seems this chemistry has life issues beyond cycling, over- and under-charge and temperature. Or would it be fair to say that it is a temperature degradation effect that simply occurs at room temperature?

RegGuheert said:
Thanks for your replies on expected life! So it seems this chemistry has life issues beyond cycling, over- and under-charge and temperature. Or would it be fair to say that it is a temperature degradation effect that simply occurs at room temperature?

The good news, is that no one has reported significant loss of battery capacity yet, despite some LEAFs having over 30,000 miles.

So you will see many express their opinions about how various factors affect battery degradation, all are really very speculative, until evidence of battery degradation can be correlated with conditions of use, IMO.

It may be that LEAFSCAN equipped LEAFs will give the first real evidence, long before small losses in range are noticeable, to most drivers.

RegGuheert said:

Yes, afaik all Lithium-chemistry batteries experience "calendar aging", and high temps will accelerate that. What that temperature vs. aging curve looks like for this particular battery -- I don't know if we have that info.

edatoakrun said:
The good news, is that no one has reported significant loss of battery capacity yet, despite some LEAFs having over 30,000 miles.
That IS good news!
edatoakrun said:
So you will see many express their opinions about how various factors affect battery degradation, all are really very speculative, until evidence of battery degradation can be correlated with conditions of use, IMO.
Makes sense. I think it will be about nineteen years before we know for sure if 20 years is possible or not!

Nubo said:
Yes, afaik all Lithium-chemistry batteries experience "calendar aging", and high temps will accelerate that. What that temperature vs. aging curve looks like for this particular battery -- I don't know if we have that info.
Thanks! It would be good to see that curve, both with and without cycling to various DODs thrown in!

Back