Is anyone abandoning the Leaf due to gas price dropping?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with all of the previous people who said that no way would they give up their leaf...

anyone who would consider dropping their leaf because of lower oil prices are not really ev people...

Our Leaf saves us even more when we use it instead of the '11 Quest. We shop most often at Fred Meyer, which gives gas credits for store purchases. Since we only use the van for infrequent long-distance trips, the credits add up. We just returned from a 500-mile trip and paid $0.40 and $0.20 per gallon less at each of two fill-ups. So, not only are we not buying gasoline frequently, we are saving even more when we do, all thanks to the Leaf.

I turned in my Leaf and got an 8 passenger SUV because there are no electrics in this category. Anyways my friends uncles neighbor said gas is going to 50 cents a gallon so I should be o.k. What do you think? Do you know where I can get a discount on modifying my SUV for rolling coal? I think it makes for a fun get away in case I'm being chased.
/humor

DanCar said:
I turned in my Leaf and got an 8 passenger SUV because there are no electrics in this category. Anyways my friends uncles neighbor said gas is going to 50 cents a gallon so I should be o.k. What do you think? Do you know where I can get a discount on modifying my SUV for rolling coal? I think it makes for a fun get away in case I'm being chased.
/humor

Too bad you couldn't have waited a bit on the 8 passenger aspect; plus, at least in some parts of CA, gas prices are going the other way ...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...california/ar-BBqkvRj?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=U220DHP

As far as upcoming 8 passenger PHEV's:

http://insideevs.com/chrysler-pacifica-hybrid-plug-in-minivan-with-30-miles-range-80-mpge/

And of course, if you lived in one of those NEV communities; like Peachtree, GA (100 miles of NEV paths):

http://peachtree-city.org/index.aspx?NID=216

You could get one of these ... ;)

star%20b48-08.png

http://www.rymerelectricvehicles.com/vehicles/personnel-carriers/eight-passenger-vehicle

All kidding aside, just like our LEAF's which can cover typically the high 90% of most trips for 'most' people, many if they need to regularly carry a lot of people have limited choices; an 8 passenger vehicle would require two bench seats which have fallen out of popularity unless you're in the market for a minivan or hotel shuttle, etc. There are also a few 7-passenger PHEV's coming as well as if you have a big check book you could get a Tesla X EV ... I laugh because we've owned a few minivans in the past but the maximum number of people we would ever carry now would be 5 so it's expanded our choices quite a bit; next vehicle whatever it is will NOT need us to get a 3rd-row which in most cases is really for little kids or adults well under 6' with short legs (unless of course you opt for one of those mega SUV's or extended length shuttle vans).

dhanson865 said:
The last time I did the math the oil changes weren't more than half a cent per mile with gas being several cents a mile. I don't like having to go get one but the cost per oil change really isn't an issue as much as the price of gas vs electricity.

my statement was generalized to illustrate that fuel costs is only one part of the picture and a relatively insignificant one at that. Maintenance is another story and can be VERY significant depending on which method you choose to destroy our World.

FYI; oil changes vary widely from area to area especially if you live in a state that includes a disposal fee with every quart of oil purchased.

DaveinOlyWA said:
dhanson865 said:
The last time I did the math the oil changes weren't more than half a cent per mile with gas being several cents a mile. I don't like having to go get one but the cost per oil change really isn't an issue as much as the price of gas vs electricity.

my statement was generalized to illustrate that fuel costs is only one part of the picture and a relatively insignificant one at that. Maintenance is another story and can be VERY significant depending on which method you choose to destroy our World.

FYI; oil changes vary widely from area to area especially if you live in a state that includes a disposal fee with every quart of oil purchased.

You and I are likely close to agreement here. I'd just say there are classes of how bad a car is

1. BEV
2. Plug in Hybrid
3. Hybrid
4. Pure gasoline

For a car like the Prius the reliability is so high and the maintenance so simple/minor/almost non existent I'd rate it higher than other hybrids.

I'm happy every day I get to plug in a real EV and don't have to use my Prius. I'm looking forward to the day that I sell it and my dads old pickup truck and don't have a gas engine in any vehicle on my property.

I just think you can't make blanket statements about gas cars vs EVs without acknowledging that some gas cars are way more damaging/inefficient/unreliable/require more maintenance and some are the opposite of that.

Harping on oil changes for a Prius that babies the engine, has a tiny oil capacity, goes 10,000 miles per oil change is way different than harping on a V8 SUV that uses 2-3 times the oil per oil change, does so twice as often, and is more likely to break down and need repairs while doing it.

On the topic of abandoning the Leaf, I'm thinking gas prices won't drop enough to make me use any gas car and I'll be going to a Tesla or maybe even Chevy Bolt some time down the road. But then again I might buy another used leaf or two used before I do that. I can't turn down a $4,000 car with heated seats, bluetooth, etcetera and I expect there will be enough used leafs dropping in price to push me into buying another one or two and selling the Prius.

dhanson865 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
dhanson865 said:

You and I are likely close to agreement here. I'd just say there are classes of how bad a car is

1. BEV
2. Plug in Hybrid
3. Hybrid
4. Pure gasoline

For a car like the Prius the reliability is so high and the maintenance so simple/minor/almost non existent I'd rate it higher than other hybrids.

I'm happy every day I get to plug in a real EV and don't have to use my Prius. I'm looking forward to the day that I sell it and my dads old pickup truck and don't have a gas engine in any vehicle on my property.

I just think you can't make blanket statements about gas cars vs EVs without acknowledging that some gas cars are way more damaging/inefficient/unreliable/require more maintenance and some are the opposite of that.

Harping on oil changes for a Prius that babies the engine, has a tiny oil capacity, goes 10,000 miles per oil change is way different than harping on a V8 SUV that uses 2-3 times the oil per oil change, does so twice as often, and is more likely to break down and need repairs while doing it.

On the topic of abandoning the Leaf, I'm thinking gas prices won't drop enough to make me use any gas car and I'll be going to a Tesla or maybe even Chevy Bolt some time down the road. But then again I might buy another used leaf or two used before I do that. I can't turn down a $4,000 car with heated seats, bluetooth, etcetera and I expect there will be enough used leafs dropping in price to push me into buying another one or two and selling the Prius.

agreed and I had 3 Priuses and other than oil/filter changes, I did ZERO maintenance on them. I mention maintenance cause I had two conversations this week. one ; a diesel pickup truck owner who just paid $1200 to get various things done to his truck that included a tune up of the fuel delivery system and one who just took his Audi to get a tuneup for "only" $300 but only trusts this mechanic who specializes in German Cars (but will do anyone...)

But as I mentioned; even if they gave away gasoline, it would still not be enough for me to want to buy a gasser...

Get ready for the next gas price decline.

ICEV manufactures have valiantly increased gas-guzzler production in an effort to burn up the surplus, but seem to have failed:

Gasoline Glut Threatens a Crude-Oil Rally Fueled by Car Travel

Surging demand from drivers in the richest countries helped power a big rally in crude this year. But many analysts say that surge is ending.

In the U.S., lower gasoline prices led consumers to drive a record three trillion miles in the past 12 months. In June, gas consumption hit an all-time high, 9.7 million barrels a day. And in July, pickup trucks, SUVs and other gas guzzlers reached a record share of auto sales...

http://www.wsj.com/articles/driver-led-oil-rally-in-peril-as-stockpiles-grow-1473210829
I paid ~$2.25 a (high-priced California) gallon last week on a trip to Tahoe.

I may see $2 gas this fall for the first time since...I don't remember when.

This is how much gas prices may fall by Halloween

...It’s no surprise to hear that gasoline prices at the pump typically fall after the Labor Day holiday, which marks the official end to the summer driving season, but just how much prices fall on average may cause drivers to do a double take.

Over the past five years, the average retail gasoline price drop between Sept. 6 and Halloween has been 30 cents, said Patrick DeHaan, senior petroleum analyst at GasBuddy.com. “Price declines are all but guaranteed,” he said...
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-is-how-much-gas-prices-may-fall-by-halloween-2016-09-06

http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/09/the-numbers-are-in-the-chevrolet-bolt-will-have-a-238-mile-range/

I imagine more people will be abondoning the Leaf because of range issues not gas prices.

Well my B got in an accident last Sunday morning. Let me tell you an EV is much smoother than an ICS. State Farm gave me a Camry loaner. It is OK but I miss my B. Oh the horror , I have to purchase gas! It is estimate time. I sure hope they total the car. With gap I should be OK.I do not want to drive a repaired frame car. I guess time will tell.

I've been on gas since the beginning of the year because I thought a more compelling product (or more compelling price on the Volt) was just around the corner, but never due to cheap gas. Due to my tax situation, my only option is to get into an EV lease that offers at least the full $7500 tax credit as CCR, so I can capture those savings when I buy out the lease.

That rules out the Volt which is the most compelling car on my list, since GM is hoarding half the tax credit on leases. Nissan offers more than $10,000 CCR, but I don't want another Gen1 LEAF only to have it eclipsed by the availability of 40kWh model in a few months, or a Gen2 in another year.

kubel said:
I've been on gas since the beginning of the year because I thought a more compelling product (or more compelling price on the Volt) was just around the corner, but never due to cheap gas. Due to my tax situation, my only option is to get into an EV lease that offers at least the full $7500 tax credit as CCR, so I can capture those savings when I buy out the lease.

That rules out the Volt which is the most compelling car on my list, since GM is hoarding half the tax credit on leases. Nissan offers more than $10,000 CCR, but I don't want another Gen1 LEAF only to have it eclipsed by the availability of 40kWh model in a few months, or a Gen2 in another year.

I would do a 2 year. then if anything is not quite there yet, you can usually extend with a pretty good offer 12 months for the price of 10 or whatever. I am guessing the Bolt will be plentiful in your area sooner than it will be in mine and that is supposedly only 6 months away or so (no chance for Dec despite rumors to the contrary)

My best bet right now is to take the car in and complain about the battery a month from now to see if they will replace it. Less than 40k miles and 9 bar loser sounds to me like a defective battery. My commute is cutting it close with only a few miles to spare before having to charge to full or 70% due to battery degradation.

If they won't replace it I may have to look elsewhere and purchase something else although I was hoping to get by without a car payment for at least a few years before getting a newer EV.

I have considered a ICE car again to commute and for my style of driving I am not having fun setting the cruise and driving in the far right lane just to get to work. If winter is tough and the battery doesn't perform as it is today I won't be able to get to work. I already drive without AC or heat so not sure if my time with the Leaf will be coming to a quick end.

If gas prices stay low it will come down to price and features. FYI my commute is only 37 miles one way and I get to charge at work.

I think that anyone who already has a Leaf IS CRAZY for ditching it in favor of a new ICE car, especially due to gas prices...

Gas prices WILL go back up to $4 and more in the next few years. Even at current prices, the electricity cost on the Leaf is like 25% of the price of gas.

Aside from that, I can't see that anyone who has owned a Leaf can complain about the Leaf as a car. Maybe some people who bought the car used (at the point right before the battery started to deteriorate) can be disappointed. If you bought the Leaf NEW, when the battery eventually becomes unusable for your purposes, that car owes you nothing because of all of the savings it has given you. No mechanical failures, no oil, transmission, or antifreeze changes, or muffler, tailpipe, or other maintenance costs, and the savings you get everyday on gas...

To get the full benefit of the Leaf you have to drive it ALOT. I have my car for less than 2 years, and drive it about 70 miles daily. I save so much on gas, that I feel like I found the golden goose... The battery is still at 100% Health. When the battery becomes weaker, my wife will drive it, (she has only local driving).

For me, an eventual battery replacement will be well worth it. I will never go back to ICE for my daily commuting. Of course, I will ALWAYS have an ICE car on hand to drive around, and have ready for longer trips... Life is good..

powersurge said:
I think that anyone who already has a Leaf IS CRAZY for ditching it in favor of a new ICE car, especially due to gas prices...
powersurge said:
To get the full benefit of the Leaf you have to drive it ALOT. I have my car for less than 2 years, and drive it about 70 miles daily. I save so much on gas, that I feel like I found the golden goose... The battery is still at 100% Health. When the battery becomes weaker, my wife will drive it, (she has only local driving).
Your experience with a 2015 LEAF is quite different than most here who purchased earlier versions of the car. By way of comparison, with about the same number of miles on our LEAF as you have, the health (Hx) of the battery in our MY2011 now reads 55% with no chance of getting it replaced under warranty.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with our LEAF. That said, I would love to still have nearly 100% of the original battery capacity. It's good to see that the battery in newer LEAFs is holding up a bit better.

And, yes, I agree: The best way to get the most out of a Nissan LEAF is to drive it.

DaveinOlyWA said:
I am guessing the Bolt will be plentiful in your area sooner than it will be in mine and that is supposedly only 6 months away or so (no chance for Dec despite rumors to the contrary)

We never saw the 2016 Volt despite the fact that it was built just a few miles away. I expect the same roll-out plan will be used for Bolt.

I'm tempted to get a lease on a 30kWh LEAF SL but with residuals the way they are, a 2 year lease would kill me.

kubel said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
I am guessing the Bolt will be plentiful in your area sooner than it will be in mine and that is supposedly only 6 months away or so (no chance for Dec despite rumors to the contrary)

We never saw the 2016 Volt despite the fact that it was built just a few miles away. I expect the same roll-out plan will be used for Bolt.

I'm tempted to get a lease on a 30kWh LEAF SL but with residuals the way they are, a 2 year lease would kill me.

you probably wont see it in less than 6 months but rumors flying that the 2017 S trim will have the 30 kwh option and be on the streets within a few months. That is my goal. I don't want, like or need most of the extra features an SV has but at the same time; I got a great deal on a year end 2013 and will do the same on a year end 2016 if the numbers are right

Back