Is all Nav units as bad as Leaf's?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
surfingslovak said:
Isn't the street map on an SD card? If so, it should be theoretically possible to get an update or to swap the US street map. I'm just thinking aloud here ;-)
Seems likely that updates will eventually become available, but I'm sure they won't be free. Not starting out with an up to date database makes the idea of paying for an update really rub me the wrong way.

kevin672 said:
rcyoder said:
Has anybody figured out how to defeat the speed sensor on the NAV so that a passenger can enter destination information while you are rolling?

I started reading this thread to figure out if I wanted to spend some $ for XM traffic. If the NAV won't automatically reroute around traffic there is just no point. (I don't need / want XM radio - when I'm alone, I listen to podcasts, with kids in the car, they pick the music.)

If you've already programmed in a route the system will calculate a traffic detour for you. You can do that while moving (but not if you didn't create a route before the car was moving). I haven't had much success with it finding a better route though. It does look at traffic when calculating a route, I've seen it pick a longer route by distance because of traffic. I don't know if it'll automatically re-route for traffic though. You have to click on the green Info button, then traffic info.

You can also get traffic info while you're driving. The nearby traffic isn't as useful as it could be because it doesn't show you if the traffic on the nearby roads is north or southbound (east / west). You have to click into the detail to get that info. At least it lets you do that while the car is moving.

I still can't believe Nissan put out such a crappy system. I've decided the interface is bad enough I'm not going buy the XM subscription when it runs out. I also won't pay for a carwings subscription in its current state, but I'm hoping that by the time 3 years is up they'll have made it worth buying.

Besides updates to map data I really doubt Nissan will make any updates to this poor excuse of a NAV system. Toyota would never release such a crummy system and Nissan really showed their commitment to stepping backward on this one.

It wasn't doing it for me when we had major road closures, Nav Did show closed exits, but directed me to them, and I planned the route when the exits were long closed...

Are you sure it gave you longer route because of traffic, and not because it is gm... dumb?

kevin672 said:
If you've already programmed in a route the system will calculate a traffic detour for you. You can do that while moving (but not if you didn't create a route before the car was moving). I haven't had much success with it finding a better route though. It does look at traffic when calculating a route, I've seen it pick a longer route by distance because of traffic. I don't know if it'll automatically re-route for traffic though. You have to click on the green Info button, then traffic info.

You can also get traffic info while you're driving. The nearby traffic isn't as useful as it could be because it doesn't show you if the traffic on the nearby roads is north or southbound (east / west). You have to click into the detail to get that info. At least it lets you do that while the car is moving.

I still can't believe Nissan put out such a crappy system. I've decided the interface is bad enough I'm not going buy the XM subscription when it runs out. I also won't pay for a carwings subscription in its current state, but I'm hoping that by the time 3 years is up they'll have made it worth buying.

It has some nice features -- like the mileage countdown with graphics -- and some things that could be better. Overall it seems serviceable. So far I haven't any any problems when using it.

jwatte said:
Is a lack of proper coverage a warranty defect?

I doubt it, but for the sake of argument let's say it is. So what remedy is there available? I'm sure they'd make it work better if they could, I believe it is just the way it is.

NAVTEQ maps are pretty hopeless.

I could not navigate to 519 Gallatin Road South, Madison TN. This location is not findable using the NAVTEQ system in the LEAF.

I checked out the NAVTEQ website and tried to find the business using their web interface. It also failed to find the address. So the problem ins't with the nav system per se, but the map database they provide.

Bing and Google know exactly where it is.

I submitted the address to NAVTEQ so hopefully it will appear in the next decade or so. Pretty bad that the first place I try to navigate to isn't on the map. They can't claim its a new place, the buildings in that area have been there since at least 1931 according to Zillow.com

JP

So, can the Navteq map format be reverse engineered? (I believe that should be possible)
And can Google and Bing maps be scraped to generate the appropriate information? (This seems less likely...)

If you guys are complaining about TRAFFIC coverage then you may need to complain to Navteq, not Nissan. Navteq is so behind on traffic coverage it's rather sad. We have an Acura and the coverage (fed by Navteq of course) is poor compared to other services. Then again, as I understand it, Navteq/XM seems to rely on city-built traffic sensors whereas Google and Bing rely on live cel phone tracking data and perhaps other things. Both system have there pros and cons but coverage is a major weakness of the former.

As far as the Nav software goes, I wonder if the whole thing is on the harddrive? If so then that means easy upgrades so maybe it will get better.

SierraQ said:
If you guys are complaining about TRAFFIC coverage then you may need to complain to Navteq, not Nissan. Navteq is so behind on traffic coverage it's rather sad. We have an Acura and the coverage (fed by Navteq of course) is poor compared to other services. Then again, as I understand it, Navteq/XM seems to rely on city-built traffic sensors whereas Google and Bing rely on live cel phone tracking data and perhaps other things. Both system have there pros and cons but coverage is a major weakness of the former.

As far as the Nav software goes, I wonder if the whole thing is on the harddrive? If so then that means easy upgrades so maybe it will get better.

There's two SD card slots behind the screen just under the CD slot. I imaging map updates are via SD card and probably all data is held on the SD card.

I'm not complaining about traffic coverage, I'm talking the maps are missing some addresses one would expect them to have. Like buildings from 1932? The maps are lack luster. This is a NAVTEQ issue I agree, however Nissan do have a dog in the hunt, since the quality of nav system reflects on the vehicle. Why didn't they partner with Microsoft or Google to get a decent system? Ford have a relationship with Microsoft and Ford Sync is IMHO the market leader in car electronics.

Generally the hand-held GPS devices for the USA contain maps for the USA that have essentially all the physical streets and address ranges. Sure, there are some exceptions, and mail-addresses might not be included. The Toyota Prius and Nissan LEAF maps use severely "pruned" map data.

The source of Maps in Japan apparently takes the US maps and puts them into a MUCH more verbose format, taking around 7.5 GB to hold significantly less than all the US info. Typical hand-held GPS units usually get ALL the US map info into 1 or 2 GB.

Apparently Nissan and Toyota use these "exploded" maps, and storage on a dual-layer DVD was the goal (limited to about 8 GB).

Now, Nissan uses an SD card, which COULD be 16GB instead of 8GB, ... but might be. Also, the company doing the "exploding" is apparently 5 years behind, possibly using older maps, AND having to "prune" out detail in the less populated areas.

So, these "pruned" maps seem to work well in major populated areas, but those that live or drive in the "pruned" areas ... are very, very frustrated.

Why is it still done this way?
I do not know.

ehuna said:
Is all Nav units as bad as Leaf's?

I don't know but I strongly suggest you invest in some English classes - it will help you in the long run.
Better: "Are all Nav(igation) units as bad as the Leaf's?".

LEAF is capitalized when talking about a Nissan LEAF :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :mrgreen:

OK I found the following on the Nissan Website which should hopefully make our life easier.

Visit http://maps.google.com/maps.
Type the location you want to Send to Car in the search field.
Click "Search Maps".
In search results click "More" on the location you want to send to car.
Click "Send" in pop up menu.
Click "Car".
Select "Make:" NISSAN.
Enter you CARWINGS PIN in the "NISSAN CARWINGS account" field (Case sensitive).
To find your CARWINGS PIN visit http://www.nissanusa.com/owners/ and sign in.
Click "MANAGE ACCOUNT".
Click "EDIT/ADD VEHICLE INFORMATION".
Click "Send" on Google.

Retrieving in the vehicle is done as follows.

In the vehicle, press the zero emission button (lower right side next to NAVI screen).
Touch "CARWINGS".
Touch "All Information Feeds".
Touch "Google Maps".
Touch "1 Send to Car".
Wait while screen says "Connecting to Center".
Wait while screen says "Downloading Info".
Once the system begins to read destination and display on map touch "Pause".
Touch "New Dest." to set as destination.
or Touch "Add to Route" to set as waypoint.

tested out this procedure this morning going to church. It does work :)

First time it failed to download the route, second attempt succeeded.

I like the way it give you distance to the next intersection. The nav is actually quite good, once you get it to actually freaking work. It automatically ends when you get to your destination, which is nice.

Generally the GPS maps for the USA have essentially all the physical streets and address ranges.

That's not actually true, though. That's what we're complaining about.
I just recently wanted to drive to a major city park, in Palo Alto (pretty big city in a pretty densely populated area), and it didn't have the address.

Haven't really used the NAV at all, just my iPhone google map, and it has traffic, etc. But if I do, this seems useful. I don't plan on keeping carwings at the end of 3 years, and have not listened to Sat Radio except by accident. It would be great if these features could be modular in nature. I should read the manual and see if I can simply shut the things off that I don't use.

Another thing, why don't we get the equivalent of a "lojack" function? Surely the software could be set up to provide such features.

Again, thanks for sharing this below.

JPWhite said:
OK I found the following on the Nissan Website which should hopefully make our life easier.

Visit http://maps.google.com/maps.
Type the location you want to Send to Car in the search field.
Click "Search Maps".
In search results click "More" on the location you want to send to car.
Click "Send" in pop up menu.
Click "Car".
Select "Make:" NISSAN.
Enter you CARWINGS PIN in the "NISSAN CARWINGS account" field (Case sensitive).
To find your CARWINGS PIN visit http://www.nissanusa.com/owners/ and sign in.
Click "MANAGE ACCOUNT".
Click "EDIT/ADD VEHICLE INFORMATION".
Click "Send" on Google.

Retrieving in the vehicle is done as follows.

In the vehicle, press the zero emission button (lower right side next to NAVI screen).
Touch "CARWINGS".
Touch "All Information Feeds".
Touch "Google Maps".
Touch "1 Send to Car".
Wait while screen says "Connecting to Center".
Wait while screen says "Downloading Info".
Once the system begins to read destination and display on map touch "Pause".
Touch "New Dest." to set as destination.
or Touch "Add to Route" to set as waypoint.

tested out this procedure this morning going to church. It does work :)

First time it failed to download the route, second attempt succeeded.

I like the way it give you distance to the next intersection. The nav is actually quite good, once you get it to actually freaking work. It automatically ends when you get to your destination, which is nice.

Used the nav to go downtown yesterday.

One feature I do like about this nav system, is that the verbal guidance instructions are overlayed on top of other audio that's playing. Google maps on android, stops all audio to make the direction announcements. This system is much kinder on the ears the way it is implemented.

One beef I have is that while the audio system does increase volume as you drive faster, the nav volume doesn't appear to do so. At one point I thought it had got muted until I listend very carefully. I'll have to tinker with the nav settings and adjust the nav volume to be much higher.

With the ability to send Google Maps generated locations to the nav system to make up for its crappy maps, I am now liking the nav system more and more. The split screen when approaching intersections is a very nice feature.

What I want now is the ability to send a location to the car from my android phone. That's only possible using Google maps in a web browser.

JP

I meant that the hand-held GPS units built for the USA market generally contain "all" the streets, in much less space, in contrast to the maps in the LEAF and Prius that are severely "pruned" maps.

I fixed my post to be clearer. Thanks.

The LEAF's GPS/navigation system is NOT as good as others. It is deficient on a couple of major details, and these are NISSAN'S fault, not Navteq.

I took delivery of my LEAF last February 17 in Petaluma and needed to drive 86 miles from there to our home in W. Sacramento. Of course, I knew the way back, but tried to set my home address into the LEAF navi....NO GO ! None of my nearby streets were even IN the database of the LEAF. I got home and soon called Nissan and then Navteq to check out the out-of-date status of the LEAF GPS software. Navteq was quite clear on the point; they have sent Nissan updated details, but Nissan is about TWO YEARS BEHIND in their integration of Navteq updates to the final versions of software actually installed in Nissan cars.

I would further note, that our 2011 Chevy Volt does have ALL THESE STREETS in that GPS database; this development is at least FIVE YEARS populated, so Nissan is simply derelict in their attention to currency in their GPS software.

The second issue with the LEAF traffic warnings is that the system only works IF there is a route activated. There are no "proactive warnings" of traffic issues that simply arrive driving on a given highway (if you do not have that road as part of your active directional routing). On the Chevy Volt, the traffic warnings arrive for a given road, even without a specific route active--a MUCH better system.

So, clearly NISSAN simply has a THIRD RATE at best navigation/GPS system. Almost any portable unit, with included lifetime map updates, would be at least 100 times BETTER than what is installed in any of the Nissan vehicle line.

Back