Introduce myself

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickisan

Looking at buying a 2012 Leaf. Experienced electronics tech. Old school, ELI the ICE man, Eddie Currents... etc... 15 yrs as Etech before 20 yrs as a programmer then retirement 6yrs ago. So know enough to be dangerous. Reading here and internet on Leaf related for several days now. Used Gen 1 Leaf's are so attractive in the low $2000 range but climate control, battery issues are the reality of the low price. This surely seems like the forum to investigate this electric conveyance!

If you are buying to tinker with, yeah, lot to learn and play with, manuals available for free on line up to 2015.
If you are buying to use, I would suggest ("for a few dollars more" as the saying goes) getting a 2015 or newer, better heating A/c and batter battery.
I had been looking at/ for a Leaf I could afford since they 1st came out, I held out and when a very nice 2015 caught my eye late last year, I scooped it up. I am glad I waited and didn't jump too soon or pay too much. It wasn't being smart, it was not having the cash to spend at the time. So far nothing has been a problem, but I went in knowing the problems, and issues, so have realistic expectations of what I can and cannot expect.

If you are buying to tinker with, yeah, lot to learn and play with, manuals available for free on line up to 2015.
If you are buying to use, I would suggest ("for a few dollars more" as the saying goes) getting a 2015 or newer, better heating A/c and batter battery.
I had been looking at/ for a Leaf I could afford since they 1st came out, I held out and when a very nice 2015 caught my eye late last year, I scooped it up. I am glad I waited and didn't jump too soon or pay too much. It wasn't being smart, it was not having the cash to spend at the time. So far nothing has been a problem, but I went in knowing the problems, and issues, so have realistic expectations of what I can and cannot expect.
Thank you Sir. Sage advice. Since only just learning about this Leaf thing I am understandably excited. I will try to hold off for the newer iteration.

Well, it depends on your needs. I would say buy something that is showing it can do twice what you expect it to, that will allow for the reading being off and for cold weather when range drops.
If you are buying for a real local play thing and don't need much range, test drive it and see if it can do that much, 25 mile test drive should show you a lot.

Looking at buying a 2012 Leaf. Experienced electronics tech. Old school, ELI the ICE man, Eddie Currents... etc... 15 yrs as Etech before 20 yrs as a programmer then retirement 6yrs ago. So know enough to be dangerous. Reading here and internet on Leaf related for several days now. Used Gen 1 Leaf's are so attractive in the low $2000 range but climate control, battery issues are the reality of the low price. This surely seems like the forum to investigate this electric conveyance!
For us in Europe, 2013 onwards is generally accepted as the best, with a more reliable, efficient heater & better battery / charger and more boot space too 😉

Back