Interesting LeafSpy Results from a 2013 SL

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
thank you and as predicted your lack of charging to 100% has your battery with low numbers that are valid?? guessing probably not.
I've read this sentence about 10 times and I still can't parse it. :? Can you explain it again for me? Just to be completely clear, at the time I took the reading I had just finished charging it to 100%. Thanks!

stjohnh said:
RegGuheert said:
Can someone explain to me why LEAFspy indicates SOC=16% even though the battery is at 8 GIDs and the cells are reading between 3.076 and 3.416V? At 16% SOC, the cells in our LEAF read over 3.5V! (Perhaps this snapshot was taken while driving up a mountain?)

Perhaps if the BCM thinks it is at 16% SOC when it is really only at 5% SOC, that explains why it also thinks the battery has 67.36Ah of capacity.
I am very puzzled about the 16% as well. The 340 mv difference is also odd. Maybe shot was taken during acceleration?
That is a very good question. Certainly the cell-pair voltages indicate that it truly is close to turtle. I think it's safe to assume that the screenshots were not taking during acceleration - 300+ mV differences in cell-pair voltages is typical near turtle - the only time I've taken my car down that far I had around 350 mV difference between lowest and highest cell-pair voltages, very similar to the screenshot in question.

Certainly the theory of the BCM thinking the car is at 16% SOC when it's really at 5% makes sense given that the energy from the wall (~22kWh) is also about 10% less than one would expect with a pack that actually has 66 Ah.

RegGuheert said:
Phatcat73 said:
Regarding #2: I just took some measurements. While I was not at turtle, I'm sure I was close and impressed with battery performance to date:

:?: Can someone explain to me why LEAFspy indicates SOC=16% even though the battery is at 8 GIDs and the cells are reading between 3.076 and 3.416V? At 16% SOC, the cells in our LEAF read over 3.5V! (Perhaps this snapshot was taken while driving up a mountain?)

Perhaps if the BCM thinks it is at 16% SOC when it is really only at 5% SOC, that explains why it also thinks the battery has 67.36Ah of capacity.

I can't explain it. there is about a dozen different things wrong with the numbers on this car

RegGuheert said:
At 16% SOC, the cells in our LEAF read over 3.5V!
I've looked back through my records. At 16% SOC, ALL the cells in our LEAF are above 3.7V. (That is with the car sitting in P with no climate control or lights on and my foot off the brake.)

car was in park when i took the readings inside the 2nd floor of a parking garage.

I'll mention that the majority of this trip was highway til the very end. Perhaps the GOM was readjusting to stop and go city traffic the last 3 miles vs the 70+mph highway speed, the previous 25 miles.

Here's a measurement I made a month or so ago:

OBwrJSJ.jpg

However, I almost never charge to 100%. Couple times a month, usually. Should I try going to 100% for a week and check again?

EDIT: Oops. It's a 2013, delivered in September.

Wow, your numbers are very close to mine. I suppose it could be considered another data point to support the notion that location & climate matter more than just about anything else when it comes to battery health.

Another data point. 2013 S, made May, purchased June 2013

Got LeafSpy in July, 2013:
Capacity 60.40
H=91
Gids=263

14 mo later, July 30, 2014 Odom=12,878
Cap=60.72
H=92
Gids=264

Max and Min of values over past 14 mo (at least 2 readings every month)
Capacity 64.33, 58.83
H 98 89
Gids 279 255

Temps 5 bars all year except a few days of 6 bars each summer. Never parked in sun more than a few hours, location=SF Bay area (Palo Alto). L2 charged only, mostly to 80% but once a week or so to 100%. I have turtled this car 4 times, 3 in testing, once due to poor planning. No recent range tests, but several done last year shows range same as all other new Leafs. Eng Efficiency generally about 4.5mi/kwh. Certainly looks like little to no degradation so far. Actually battery improving if you believe the numbers generated by the car's computer.

Back