Inside the NA spec L1 EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems like most of the interest is now focused on converting this unit from 120V to 240V. Speaking only for myself, I'm more interested a 12A-to-16A modification, leaving everything at 120V. Is that still a possibility? Gary mentions something along those lines in his most recent post, but I wasn't sure if the amperage change that he's talking about was envisioned to be "in addition to" the modifications required to use 240V.

(I had been thinking that all I wanted was a cheap way to make L1 charging slightly more practical, while I waited for "real" L2 charging to become more affordable. But I guess you guys are jumping right to "cheap L2" charging. I guess that's good too! Better, perhaps, since both approaches would require me to install a new outlet in my garage.)

By the looks of it I have my doubts that any modifications would be worth doing to save money over buying an evse that will meet your needs out of the box.

DaveNagy said:
It seems like most of the interest is now focused on converting this unit from 120V to 240V. Speaking only for myself, I'm more interested a 12A-to-16A modification, leaving everything at 120V. Is that still a possibility? Gary mentions something along those lines in his most recent post, but I wasn't sure if the amperage change that he's talking about was envisioned to be "in addition to" the modifications required to use 240V.

(I had been thinking that all I wanted was a cheap way to make L1 charging slightly more practical, while I waited for "real" L2 charging to become more affordable. But I guess you guys are jumping right to "cheap L2" charging. I guess that's good too! Better, perhaps, since both approaches would require me to install a new outlet in my garage.)
If I had to guess, those three pins sticking up might hold some kind of clue, but unfortunately until the circuit is figured out a PWM control pilot modification won't be possible... The voltage hack is a lot easier since it's passed through to the car without any modification.

Either way, I'll either be modifying Nissan's EVSE to provide level 2 charging @ 12 amps, or I'll be building my own using a control pilot board from Modular EV Power.

DaveNagy said:
Speaking only for myself, I'm more interested a 12A-to-16A modification, leaving everything at 120V. Is that still a possibility?
While it's possible I'd highly recommend against it as very likely everything in the L1 EVSE was designed around 12A max. Going to 16A typically means going up in wire size.

garygid said:
Finding a way to "switch" from 12-amp "Max-Current" to 16-amps would make the modified EVSE even more versatile, but is not really necessary, since charging is not all that much faster (only about 25% increase, because the LEAF apparently does not use the full 16 amps, and there is/can be almost 2 hours of "EQ" time when near 100% SOC).
DaveNagy said:
It seems like most of the interest is now focused on converting this unit from 120V to 240V. Speaking only for myself, I'm more interested a 12A-to-16A modification, leaving everything at 120V.
I agree with you, Dave. I have installed a dedicated 120v 20A circuit, and was hoping I could get a 16A 120v EVSE and that it would provide a 25% reduction in charge time (which is a 33% increase in current flow). Gary's more pessimistic 25% amperage increase would be only a 20% reduction in charge time, but still nothing to sneeze at. The difference between, say, a 15 hour charge and a 12 hour charge is quite significant: home at 6 PM, ready to go at 6 AM vs. 9 AM.

Actually, for my own situation (under 30 miles most days) I intend to charge to 80% most of the time, so the "near 100%" part of Gary's estimation doesn't apply. I might decide to charge every other day, but if I were to charge after driving 30 miles, even 12A would probably top me off in 6 or 7 hours. The difference would really become significant only on the unusual days when I drove more than 50 miles.

Ray

Yes, I'm definitely in the "every little bit helps" camp, especially if that little bit could be added for hardly any money. ($100-ish, maybe?)

But, it sounds like a 120V-to-240V hack will be easier to achieve than a 12A-to-16A one. That's good too, although I'm not positive I'd be interested in such a thing. If I need to install a 240V plug in my garage, I'll be tempted to just bite the bullet and get a real L2 EVSE, leaving the stock trickle charger unmolested and left in the car for emergencies.

It's great having options though. If nothing else, I'm entertained by the "research" that's happening in this thread.

The main benefit of a "traveling" L2 would be much faster "emergency" charging, perhaps at work, at a friend's house, etc. where EVSEs are unknown but 240v sockets are fairly easy to find (usually one in each house).

The "portable" L2 allows one to use the REAL electrical infrastructure that is ALREADY there, without being "stuck" in EVSE-installed areas.

It makes good sense to me!

i would like a 110 Volt cord that does not have that humongous brick so near the plug. that really makes it hard to use in public and expense if someone decides to run off with the one by Nissan

DaveinOlyWA said:
i would like a 110 Volt cord that does not have that humongous brick so near the plug. that really makes it hard to use in public and expense if someone decides to run off with the one by Nissan

Get extension cord, put it under your hood, close hood. Or, roll down front window and put EVSE inside and roll window up.

I had a (slightly illegal) thought last night...you could carry a selection of fuses, with cabling and a 240v socket on the end. That way you could "install" a temporary 240v circuit at anyone's house, assuming space in their service panel. Yes, you would have to leave the service panel door ajar, and leave the protective panel inside it out temporarily, but not a big deal so long as you make sure the neighborhood kids don't get into there and start digging around.

Hey guys, looks like somebody beat us to it. Check this thread:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2707

mwalsh said:
I had a (slightly illegal) thought last night...you could carry a selection of fuses, with cabling and a 240v socket on the end. That way you could "install" a temporary 240v circuit at anyone's house, assuming space in their service panel.
There's a better way - you can get 240v by tapping 2 different 120v circuits. Half the 120v circuits in your service panel run on half the 240, the other half run on their other half.

Someone makes a nifty adapter that automatically takes two 120v inlets and provides a 240v socket - and it has a bit of smarts inside to let you know you've got two different 120v circuits. Just can't find it right now...

It's here: http://www.quick220.com/220_catalog.htm

Not the cheapest tool in the world :( Sooo ... let's get back to that "slightly illegal" idea ;)

I posted a couple of ways to upgrade your level 1 to a leval 2 on instructables, and when I get a little more time I’ll be posting some more.

Back