Info Request: Federal Employees Charging at Work

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
rumpole said:
...ran a grey extension cord around a corner to the plug. It's unobtrusive and doesn't show up much against concrete. I doubt anyone would even notice. Interestingly, I've seen Volts charging, who must have had the same idea independently.

If you are "stealing" government electricity, I recommend you stop. I've known people who have been exposed to "adverse action" (fancy government term for getting in trouble) for personal phone use, photocopier, etc.

It is either approved, or it is not. Don't steal it and expect no problems forever.
Tony has hit the nail on the head. It is approved or it isn't. It may work for awhile, but sooner or later the right (or wrong?) person is going to hear about it, and it could be a fellow employee tattling.

Folks in general, don't like to see others getting free fuel for their car if they can not also get it. I belong to an activity that has several RV spaces with electrical hook-ups, free to club members. I have never heard anyone complain about that free electricity, but when I started to plug in my LEAF, I heard rumbles about free charging, even though my usage was far less than an RV air conditioner running all day in the summer.

Note that in the case of the NIH charging previously discussed, it is not federal electricity - it is paid for by a private party - the credit union.

I agree, that's why i would like to get EV charging written in as a free benefit by policy. The current policy is that if fleet vehicles are owned and EV equipment is present that employees may charge for 2 dollars a charge. The only problem I have with that is that at our electric rates the GOV is doubling their money on that deal!!! I guess it is better than the widely popular $1/hr rate we see at Blink and charge point EVSEs.

I feel that if the government can offer a bus pass then they do limit amount of EV charging.

dzd said:
I agree, that's why i would like to get EV charging written in as a free benefit by policy. The current policy is that if fleet vehicles are owned and EV equipment is present that employees may charge for 2 dollars a charge. The only problem I have with that is that at our electric rates the GOV is doubling their money on that deal!!! I guess it is better than the widely popular $1/hr rate we see at Blink and charge point EVSEs.

Short sighted, IMHO, to worry about all the wealth the government will make off your paid for EV charging. The fact is it will cost more to administer it than it will ever generate (when all tax payer resources are considered).

If you can get a $2 deal, I would absolutely JUMP on it. Get the units installed and running, and then bitch about how they are too expensive so that people who really need it can have it available. I'll bet many more will get an EV when they see this service available.

TonyWilliams said:
I'll bet many more will get an EV when they see this service available.
Agreed, that worked for me, and I see this effect every day at the office. We will need more stations soon. Imagine that!

dzd said:
If you can get 50 miles for two bucks, that is quite nice. Sure can't drive an ICE 25 miles for a dollar.

NorCal tracon had solar panels installed in the parking lot with level 2 chargers. ZOA is working on getting the same thing done but I don't know how long it's going to take.

TonyWilliams said:
hd172 said:
NorCal tracon had solar panels installed in the parking lot with level 2 chargers. ZOA is working on getting the same thing done but I don't know how long it's going to take.

There ya go... Should be easy at ZSE with this data.

To my knowledge this is being funded by the state of California not the federal GOV but if anyone hears differently please let me know and I will definitely follow up with NATCA at NORCAL.

dzd said:
I have been working on getting some kind of charging at work at the FAA Facility in Auburn WA. I have asked the facility manager and she has told me that its on the list of things they want to do, but don't have money for. The truth is that it is not something they have a procedure for and so everyone gets scared and says no. We now have three employees with LEAFs and one of them is just far enough away that charging would be essential to piece of mind on making it home on a cold winter day. For me its just about having the knowledge i could run errands after work if i needed to.

I was told that if they had another example of Government facilities implementing charging, that would help pave the way for us to get it done. So the Question is, do any of the forum members have charging at their federal facility? IF so what do you know of the details and procedures used to get it done? who pays for the electricity?

The sad thing is that another facility in Seattle has three 240 charging stations but only has them to achieve a Gold Energy rating or some crap even though they have Zero Electric or plug in electric cars there. I asked why that couldn't be our "inspiration" and it said they ONLY had them to achieve the rating!! seriously! So you they will spend money to look good but wont do it to actually make a difference?

Hello,
I am a new subcontractor for a DOE lab in bay area. There are many electric cars (golf car like but bigger) on site and many EV charging stations. I leased a LEAF 2 days ago without checking to see if it's permitted to plug in personal EV. (How naive was that!) Due to the site shut-down for holidays, I was not able to verify until Jan 9th but based on the 1st link below, it's Not permitted. There is no date on that link thou, so hopefully it's been granted.

https://inlportal.inl.gov/portal/server.pt/community/requests_for_information/562/rfi__431/8928" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 2nd link below was released in Oct 2010. I do not mind paying $2 to charge since my commute is 32 mi each way. It would be really disappointing (and unbelievable) if DOE does not support employees taking EV to work. (Note: This notice applies to DOE HQ, Not where I Work.)

https://federalfleets.energy.gov/sites/default/files/static_page_docs/doe_evcharging_policy.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Had the same issue up here in D.C. The Department of Energy allows Federal Employees to use their supplied L2 EVSE's on an appointment/open basis. They were specifically installed for the Governement Vehicles however if they are not there, you can use them. There was an article online in which the Annapolis Naval Academy has a charging infrastructure (mainly 110/120v plugs) available for electric scooters, bikes and now EV's by purchasing a pre-paid montly hangtag authorizing you usage to plug in. Other isntallations choose the blanket reponse "its stealing energy, its illegal, or just a flat NO". I explained my tripple 30" Apple Monitors, 3 computers and desk fan take up more energy per day then I would charging at a 110V (using my L1 EVSE) for 8 hours. Noone can fathom the efficiency....noone wants to educate themselves.

DOE will supply the FREE L2 Blink EVSE to the facilities, but noone wants to do it.

Sad...Really Sad....

DZ,

I also work for the FAA here at GEG ATCT and have run into the same issues. I am not a Leaf owner but drive a Volt and was actually quoted your case at ZSE when I asked our Tech Ops Manager about utilizing one of our multiple 120v outlets in the parking lots. Like you said it appears no one wants to stick their neck out and authorize it.

I have been trying to enact change and contacted both the DOT and FAA sustainability offices, the DOT office passed me onto the FAA office and the FAA office says it is working on a policy but there is no idea of what or when it will be accomplished.

I have also posted an idea on IdeaHub for the issue but it has not received much attention, maybe if you can get some more people voting on the idea from your facility we can bring the issue to DOT/FAA from that end.

https://www.dotideahub.gov/index.cfm/idea/view?ideaId=7405 "Promote Electric Vehicle Usage - First Step Allow Employess to Charge Via Existing 120v Outlets"

Guess I hit the jackpot since I work for the VA at the Bishop Henry Whipple Federal Building adjacent to the Minneapolis/St Paul International Airport in Minnesota.

The entire building (a 6 floor office building) is undergoing a complete refurbishment under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act where older federal buildings get HVAC, lighting, plumbing and construction upgrades to current LEEDS energy standards. The largest geothermal field in the entire midwest went into the building and, as a bonus, 18 L2 EVSE stations are now roughed in and will go into service sometime in 2014.

GSA manages the property and the EVSE stalls will be available to employee use for no cost.

Now all I need to do is order a 2013 Leaf.

Catching up to this thread. I work at NIH and own the red Leaf in the pics in the NIH article linked previously. Since these charging stations were installed in June, there has been a large increase in the number of EVs on the NIH campus. When the program started in June, there were about 5 EVs on campus; now there are perhaps 25. Just today there was a newly purchased 2013 Leaf charging next to me.

Charging at a federal facility is a tough nut to crack. The best info I've seen about the issue is on the DOE site at https://federalfleets.energy.gov/federal_requirements/guidance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . The GAO decision was specifically for the Architect of the Capitol, in that it cannot use appropriated funds to install electric vehicle charging stations solely for use by employees for their personal vehicles. The DOE indicates that "ultimately, each agency's general counsel must determine appropriate and legal use of agency electric vehicle charging stations."

Most federal agencies are currently not allowing charging of privately owned EVs because of the GAO ruling, even if the ruling was specifically for the Architect of the Capitol. The agencies' interpretation is that congressional action is needed for this to be allowed. Interestingly, Congress has recently passed legislation to allow members of Congress to charge their personal EVs at a federal facility at Capitol Hill. Unfortunately this applies only to members of Congress.

It is true that there are other benefits in place which seem similar in nature, like subsidized mass transit, mentioned earlier in this thread. However these benefits were explicitly enacted by an Act of Congress, which is what GAO recommends in this case as well.

There is a request being put together for the GAO to revisit its decision and clarify whether it applies to the use of existing 120V outlets and existing agency reimbursement procedures for personal use.

A few agencies have been progressive in allowing charging of personal EVs on federal facilities, typically by using a third-party intermediary. For example, DOE allows charging, with funds collected through the garage operator. NIH has implemented such a system, funded through a credit union - see http://evadc.org/2012/08/14/nih-debuts-charging-station-pilot-program/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. NASA Kennedy installed a few charging stations last year, that people are allowed to use for their personal EVs - see http://www.novacharge.net/media/nasa-and-novacharge-launch-ev-readiness-with-chargepoint-charging-stations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Some Navy Exchanges also now have charging stations. However, most agencies are still reluctant to implement a third-party system.

I'm not aware of any cases where charging of personal EVs is formally allowed at federal facilities without a third-party being involved, but would love to hear otherwise. How is this program going to work at the Whipple Building?

Doron

dzd said:
I was told that if they had another example of Government facilities implementing charging, that would help pave the way for us to get it done. So the Question is, do any of the forum members have charging at their federal facility? IF so what do you know of the details and procedures used to get it done? who pays for the electricity?

Darryl,
You've probably already seen this MOU.. Three Atlanta facilities are getting charging stations installed as a Pilot Program..
I'll try to follow up on this..
http://natcamembers.org/ULWSiteReso...ile/LaborRelations/MOUs/EVchargingstation.pdf

I work at ZME (Memphis Center). EVs are not popular around here, but there are two EV owners here at work, and because of us, interest is growing! Would love the ability to charge at work, free or fee.

Marc,

Have you heard anything else about the pilot at Atlanta? I'm interested to hear any info you might have on it, I'd like to see some plugs here at ZME as well. Got a plug in hybrid a couple weeks ago.

Scott Roach, East area.

Next Monday I'll be exactly half way through my four year lease of my 2011 Nissan Leaf. My only regret is the leasing rather than purchasing. I work for the Department of Defense in Virginia and had requested a charging station at my place of work. The request was denied as not being able to use appropriated funds to pay for personal items. I did offer some solutions, including a ChargePoint station that would allow a fee for changing. Since my monthly electrical usage if $15, I suggested a simple $1.00 charge fee, which would extend my available mileage during the work day should I be required to use my personal vehicle for government use. The request was again denied.

The bottom line is that if you are getting it, it probably is not actually permitted by law, so be grateful. If you aren't, keep pushing. Since it takes longer to charge an EV then it does to fill a gas tank, the need for chargers at the actual place of employment is critical. If the environmental nazis are being honest about the desire to break away for oil, we really do need stations reasonably available anywhere we go.

Well I can tell you the US Navy most certainly DOES NOT allow anyone to use outlets on the buildings for this. So that is at least one federal entity to cross off of the list. Good thing I can drive to work for 3 days straight without having to charge so is not a big deal. Would be nice though to charge at work. Kind of gave up on the whole thing after the first year as far as trying to get the Naval Station to incorporate policy on it. I did submit a request to Chargepoint to install pay EVSE's in some of the parking lots but haven't seen anything on that at all. Heck after almost 2 and a half years of being stationed here now the only public EVSE's in all of Hampton Roads are the Solar Services by Lynnhaven Mall (Chargepoint), and Whole Foods down in VA Beach which is free charging.

Back