Info Request: Federal Employees Charging at Work

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dzd

I have been working on getting some kind of charging at work at the FAA Facility in Auburn WA. I have asked the facility manager and she has told me that its on the list of things they want to do, but don't have money for. The truth is that it is not something they have a procedure for and so everyone gets scared and says no. We now have three employees with LEAFs and one of them is just far enough away that charging would be essential to piece of mind on making it home on a cold winter day. For me its just about having the knowledge i could run errands after work if i needed to.

I was told that if they had another example of Government facilities implementing charging, that would help pave the way for us to get it done. So the Question is, do any of the forum members have charging at their federal facility? IF so what do you know of the details and procedures used to get it done? who pays for the electricity?

The sad thing is that another facility in Seattle has three 240 charging stations but only has them to achieve a Gold Energy rating or some crap even though they have Zero Electric or plug in electric cars there. I asked why that couldn't be our "inspiration" and it said they ONLY had them to achieve the rating!! seriously! So you they will spend money to look good but wont do it to actually make a difference?

I work for a city. I emailed my supervisor to ask to charge at work. It seems my email bounced around until the office of sustainability gave me permission. I had to supply my own L2 charger but charging is free.

Congrats with your tenure at Seattle ARTCC. It seems odd that FAA can have businesses, like day care, cafeteria, FAA Credit Union, etc, but some electricity causes a problem.

I would propose that it be a non-profit business like all the other businesses I listed on FAA property. Put a card reader on the EVSE, and charge a buck an hour.

That should get things rolling. I'd be happy to provide the technical info you need for the proposal.

Tony

ZOA, SCT CMA
NATCA Lifetime Member

Well, I hope you can get something done at that Federal Installation. I tried at Joint Base Lewis MChord and ran into a stone wall. Can't use government funds to fuel POVs. Of course, Transportation and Defense are two different departments, and Tony's suggestion of a card system might get someplace.

Then I tried throgh the Army and Air Force Exchange system (non-appropriated funds) and ran into the installation master energy use plan, or some such.

I can't find it now, but there was a thread concerning charging at what I recall was a federal installation - Veteran's Administration, I believe.

I work at a national lab with a lot of funding from DOE (the same DOE that funds the EV project charging infrastructure). However, instead of leading by example by installing employee charging at DOE facilities, they can not spend funds on infrastructure for employee vehicles. I even had no luck when I pointed out that Chargepoint would install an EVSE for free (granted it was only one and at some point they would have to pay the service contract to keep the network part of it operational).

I found a (potentially dated?) FEMP/DOE pdf document with statements (below) that may or may not be helpful to inform your federal facility about what they can and can't do and the intended policy direction (whether of not there is any motion). It looks like the easiest route (at least for DOE sites) right now is to get EV fleet vehicles on site for which they can spend money on charging stations. Then you can charge personal EVs there (if the fleet gets priority). Also you have to reimburse for electricity with an un-sophisticated $2 per charge flat rate (and there probably isn't a convenient way to do this without paying a vendor to supply the point of purchase service). I have noticed that there are charging stations at the Social Security Administration in Richmond, CA and at some Veterans Adminstration hospitals in the Bay Area, too. I'm not sure who paid for these, perhaps it is different when a government office is frequented by public visitors (government incentive programs might have installed these, or perhaps the funding restriction for the agency is different to serve the public versus employees?) Tell your federal agency to bug DOE/FEMP/GSA for more enlightened and proactive guidance on federal employee EV infrastructure.

From the document linked above:

GAO issued a decision specifically for the Architect of the Capitol that it cannot use appropriated funds to install charging stations solely for use by employees for their personal vehicles

DOE’s General Counsel decided that charging stations installed for DOE fleet vehicles can be used to charge employees’ personal vehicles if:
- DOE fleet vehicles are given first priority
- Employees reimburse DOE ($2 per charge)

The bottom line
- It rests on each agency’s General Counsel to determine what is appropriate and legal use of the agency’s charging stations

EO 13423 requires agencies to purchase EVs when cost-competitive
- Not cost-competitive yet, but will be in next several years **(actually current lease deals and gas prices should be competitive depending on miles driven)**

Requirements to focus on for now
- Reduce petroleum consumption (EISA 142)
- Purchase low GHG-emitting vehicles and AFVs (EISA 141 and EPAct)
EVs can help agencies meet these requirements

President’s national electric vehicle (EV) plan
- One million electric vehicles on the road in U.S. by 2015 (out of 250 million vehicles total)

Presidential Memorandum on Federal Fleet Performance –May 24, 2011
- By 2015, all new light-duty vehicles purchased and leased by agencies must be alternative fuel vehicles

GSA electric vehicle pilot

I am in the military (US Navy) and nope, no charging. 0. However I have put in a request with charge point to have a charger installed on the base that wouldn't be free. So we will see how that goes. So far there are only 2 public chargers here in Norfolk now that I know of so getting them installed anywhere would be great.

Roadburner440 said:
I am in the military (US Navy) and nope, no charging. 0. However I have put in a request with charge point to have a charger installed on the base that wouldn't be free. So we will see how that goes. So far there are only 2 public chargers here in Norfolk now that I know of so getting them installed anywhere would be great.
Hope it works for you. Over a year ago, I wrote to both ChargePoint and Blink and suggested they look into a presence on military bases. Both responded with a "Thanks for your interest, we'll Look into it" reply.

dzd said:
I have been working on getting some kind of charging at work at the FAA Facility in Auburn WA. I have asked the facility manager and she has told me that its on the list of things they want to do, but don't have money for. The truth is that it is not something they have a procedure for and so everyone gets scared and says no. We now have three employees with LEAFs and one of them is just far enough away that charging would be essential to piece of mind on making it home on a cold winter day. For me its just about having the knowledge i could run errands after work if i needed to.

I was told that if they had another example of Government facilities implementing charging, that would help pave the way for us to get it done. So the Question is, do any of the forum members have charging at their federal facility? IF so what do you know of the details and procedures used to get it done? who pays for the electricity?

The sad thing is that another facility in Seattle has three 240 charging stations but only has them to achieve a Gold Energy rating or some crap even though they have Zero Electric or plug in electric cars there. I asked why that couldn't be our "inspiration" and it said they ONLY had them to achieve the rating!! seriously! So you they will spend money to look good but wont do it to actually make a difference?

Having been in the FAA myself for 32+yrs, I know what you're up against. The big problem is that no one wants to stick out their neck and make a decision. So....the "people in charge" come up with these lame excuses. It's sad, really. What's so hard about your manager asking the Tech Ops Mgr to have his people run a wire and put in an outlet that is accessible from outside the bldg? :roll:

derkraut said:
Having been in the FAA myself for 32+yrs, I know what you're up against. The big problem is that no one wants to stick out their neck and make a decision. So....the "people in charge" come up with these lame excuses. It's sad, really. What's so hard about your manager asking the Tech Ops Mgr to have his people run a wire and put in an outlet that is accessible from outside the bldg? :roll:

Yeah thats pretty much it derkraut. The ATM says "its not my call it is the TOM's". The TOM says "There's no money for it". When I say how much does a couple of 110 outlets really cost? we run into the whole fueling your vehicle on the GOV dime issue. so the Gov will give 20/month to someone to ride a bicycle to work or pay for a bus pass, but we can't get 75 cents a day to charge our cars. I could turn off about three times the number of lights in this facility EVERY weekend to more than make up for it. But there I go again using logic with the FAA, Pointless.

TonyWilliams said:
Congrats with your tenure at Seattle ARTCC. It seems odd that FAA can have businesses, like day care, cafeteria, FAA Credit Union, etc, but some electricity causes a problem.

I would propose that it be a non-profit business like all the other businesses I listed on FAA property. Put a card reader on the EVSE, and charge a buck an hour.

That should get things rolling. I'd be happy to provide the technical info you need for the proposal.

Tony

ZOA, SCT CMA
NATCA Lifetime Member

Thanks for the Advice Tony, I do in fact work at the ZSE. my forum name is a derivative of my OP initials, DZ.

I think I will take this fight to the next level. Being as that I'm the WA state NATCA Legislative coordinator, I have access to pretty much all the west side congress people and have met most of them several times. I'm think about seeing if any of them have any gall to get a federal EV charging initiative started in DC. maybe during the next congress. Too bad we sent Jay Inslee from Congress to the Governors mansion, he was a big support of green initiatives.

Thanks to all your responses!!! I have made this my mission and I have found some allies here at work. One is the programs director and the only reason he doesn't have a LEAF already is that his commute is 40 miles one way!! so he is sure to benefit from a success. Post up your experiences in this thread because any win in the federal Gov emboldens Upper Managers to follow along. I guess the only may to move up in the Agency is to not make waves.

Many of the agencies in the Washington area have installed L2s in parking garages. Perhaps the NIH is ahead of the game offering free charging:

http://www.ors.od.nih.gov/pes/dats/parking/Pages/Electric-Vehicle-Pilot-Program.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BRBarian said:
Many of the agencies in the Washington area have installed L2s in parking garages. Perhaps the NIH is ahead of the game offering free charging:

http://www.ors.od.nih.gov/pes/dats/parking/Pages/Electric-Vehicle-Pilot-Program.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Which federal agencies have offered L2 charging?

It looks like the NIH had little to do with the "free" charging. A credit union pays for the electricity and from the photos, it looks like you bring your own EVSE. However, it is a start.

ebill3 said:
BRBarian said:

Same question here. My wife, our primary leaf driver, works for DOL at the 5th and Yestler building here in Seattle, and her preliminary inquiries have gotten her nowhere.

derkraut said:
dzd said:
BTW is your name Tony? or is that a pseudonym?

I can verify that "Tony" is really Tony, heh heh ;)

Well, my mother calls me Tony most of the time. I use TonyWilliams on every forum I've ever been on, since I'm too lazy to make up names.

Operating initials over the years: ZOA = LT, SCT/CMA = WA

DaveHanson said:
ebill3 said:
BRBarian said:

Same question here. My wife, our primary leaf driver, works for DOL at the 5th and Yestler building here in Seattle, and her preliminary inquiries have gotten her nowhere.

I know the guys who set up ev charging at NIH. They're in the Electric Vehicle Association of Greater Washington DC (http://www.evadc.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) You can read about it at http://evadc.org/2012/08/14/nih-debuts-charging-station-pilot-program/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

also
http://www.cuna.org/newsnow/12/system101912-3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://nihrecord.od.nih.gov/newsletters/2012/08_03_2012/story8.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They do have a memo that was written I believe by their general council, that would serve as a template, or an example to show your boss. You would have to contact them, Robert or Doron, through the club. They're up to 19 ev's on campus. And remember, you don't necessarily need L2. L1 outlets, which might already be available near parking, just need signage. A Leaf charging for 8 hours at L1 can put on 40 miles.

Then again, you might be able to swing it "unofficially". I'm in the US Patent Office in Alexandria, VA, and our garages have L1 outlets. I don't normally drive in, but I have test-charged just to verify it was possible. I parked in the corner, put the evse brick under the front of the car, and ran a grey extension cord around a corner to the plug. It's unobtrusive and doesn't show up much against concrete. I doubt anyone would even notice. Interestingly, I've seen Volts charging, who must have had the same idea independently.

rumpole said:
...ran a grey extension cord around a corner to the plug. It's unobtrusive and doesn't show up much against concrete. I doubt anyone would even notice. Interestingly, I've seen Volts charging, who must have had the same idea independently.

If you are "stealing" government electricity, I recommend you stop. I've known people who have been exposed to "adverse action" (fancy government term for getting in trouble) for personal phone use, photocopier, etc.

It is either approved, or it is not. Don't steal it and expect no problems forever.

Back