INCORRECT: Right type of battery for my LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cober

[MOD: this video has incorrect information. Do not use it to decide what type of 12V battery to use in your LEAF]

I got a new battery for my LEAF
https://youtu .be/cSiwmXzXK4w

And what type do you use?

I installed an Optima yellow-top deep cycle AGM battery when the 12-volt Nissan OEM battery failed in each of my LEAF's. Battery Group Size 51R is the correct size for all model years (at least in USA). Don't worry, I did not bother to click on your video.

After the original Japanese battery started to get flaky after 7 years in my 2012 SL, I replaced it with an Interstate battery from Costco, size 51R, for about $80. Does what it needs to do very well, and have had it now for nearly two years.

SageBrush said:
This smells of spam
He just posts his barely-informative videos to try to get clicks. They are possibly helpful to the complete new owner.

Most of what he says in his videos has already been talked about in this forum. Often, whatever he goes on and on about in the video can be succinctly stated in a sentence or two, like GerryAZ's post above or like https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=32850&p=614679#p614686.

I also don't think he reads the forum.

SageBrush said:
Thanks jlv,

On that note,
51R AGM deep cycle

I bought a REMY online

I talked my brother into ordering an AGM off REMY about a month and a half ago? and he still hasn't got it! They shipped early(or so they said they did) so it came when he was out of town. Fed Ex said they dropped it off on a Sunday but gave no proof. He's been getting the run-a-round ever since. FedEx saying they delivered it but they'd "check into it" and REMY being no help to my brother. I told my brother he should contest the CC charge(which was actually a debit card, bad choice) so his credit union said he'd have to cancel his card and that was their only way to contest the charge. My brother doesn't like these type of things so he's been dragging his feet. Long story short, I could NOT suggest REMY as either they are a sham and never shipped the battery or just not standing behind their shipping. They just keep telling my brother to bug FedEx, in the meantime he needs a battery but a month and a half later, NOTHING!

SageBrush said:
^^

REMY is right --- light a fire under FEDEX.

He has tried both but in one way I'm thinking REMY is the customer to FedEx, they contracted with FedEx and their money came from REMY, REMY should really be persuing this.
Either way if it were me I'd be calling every day but my brother doesn't like confrontation. I keep telling him he's in the right, after all he never got the battery what purpose would he have for a second. I find it hard to believe someone would steal a 35lb battery from his secured building's lobby where FedEx said they dropped it off. Actually, they said they put it in his mailbox(a slot not much bigger than a letter) and when someone pushes his doorbell it's supposed to ring his phone and he never got a ring or missed call. If they did get into the building they must have followed someone else in and simply left the box on the floor, all very suspicious IMO. The battery was over $150 so I really want to push him to peruse it but as the saying goes......you can lead a horse to water :(

Fedex will not accept an undelivered complaint from the sender -- it has to come from the recipient.

I don't have a lot of experience with shipping problems but enough to know the ropes.

I have lots of experience with UPS (their local office routinely slaps a delivery label with a wrong version of my address on packages when they reach Latham NY), but not so much with FedEx. I do know that they are likely to leave heavy packages as far away from your door as they can and still claim that they were delivered. In my case that's JUST inside our gate, about 30' from the front porch.

LeftieBiker said:
I have lots of experience with UPS (their local office routinely slaps a delivery label with a wrong version of my address on packages when they reach Latham NY), but not so much with FedEx. I do know that they are likely to leave heavy packages as far away from your door as they can and still claim that they were delivered. In my case that's JUST inside our gate, about 30' from the front porch.

Yep, it happens. That is why Jeff's conclusion that the battery was not stolen is shaky. I'm not sure what FedEx will decide in the case of recepient claiming non-delivery for a package that did not require signature. Or maybe it did require signature, but that was forged by the carrier or someone else ? It gets tricky pretty fast, but one way or another the claim is not through REMY.

SageBrush said:
LeftieBiker said:

Yep, it happens. That is why Jeff's conclusion that the battery was not stolen is shaky. I'm not sure what FedEx will decide in the case of recepient claiming non-delivery for a package that did not require signature. Or maybe it did require signature, but that was forged by the carrier or someone else ? It gets tricky pretty fast, but one way or another the claim is not through REMY.

I'm more familiar with Amazon where they actually take a photo showing box sitting wherever they put it, apparently, all FedEx could say was it was put in his letterbox :roll:
I'll try and push him more on calling FedEx for a replacement or credit for the battery, then he'll need to order another battery from REMY? Truthfully at this point, he might just want me to pick him up a regular flooded acid battery from Costco, after he ordered the AGM I noticed my local Costco had 2 full rows of 51R batteries, just under a hundred dollars. I kinda wanted him to get the AGM as I've had very good luck with my '17 Purchased Optima but no one on Amazon seems to sell the 51R anymore in AGM and REMY seemed like a good price. He worked 40 hours this last weekend so I won't call him until tomorrow.

jjeff said:
then he'll need to order another battery from REMY?
He could -- nothing wrong with REMY.
He may wish to set delivery to a secure location -- either FedEx itself, or a pick-up location. This is good advice for any package of value.

I often use pick-up locations even though I have not had any problems with theft and my carriers have been good about putting packages on my doorstep in the past. Delivery is a bit quicker, there is a more transparent delivery trail, and I figure I might be saving some carrier miles.

SageBrush said:
LeftieBiker said:

For a while we had a FedEx driver who apparently got tired at the end of the day and took to marking our packages "delivery refused by customer", which of course was a total can of worms to undo. After the third complaint from us we no longer had that driver.

Nubo said:
SageBrush said:

For a while we had a FedEx driver who apparently got tired at the end of the day and took to marking our packages "delivery refused by customer", which of course was a total can of worms to undo. After the third complaint from us we no longer had that driver.

That is bad. The last time FedEx came to my house the carrier knocked on the door. I was in the living room and without delay went to the door -- perhaps 15 seconds, but probably more like 10. The carrier was already 1/2 back to his truck and I had to raise my voice to call him back. :lol:

I'm telling you guys -- choosing a convenient, public pick-up location is the way to go for a host of reasons.

Optima yellow-top D51R is available directly from optimabatteries.com (manufacturer web site). I recently purchased one from Batteries Plus Bulbs (in stock at the local store closest to my house).

I purchased an Exide Edge 51R AGM on sale for $140 from AMZN a few years back. I watched this battery begin its journey in New Jersey, through the mid West, and eventually to Gardena outside of LA. The battery moves around LA for a few days and then starts heading back to New Jersey. So I call Amazon CS and was told the battery was destroyed. I'm guessing it was dropped or somehow severely damaged. Amazon had the seller ship me a replacement battery and it arrived without a hitch. But the whole process took 17 days. As an aside, it seems like every package I receive from FEDEX these days arrives absolutely filthy - like its been in a coal mine. Is anyone else seeing that?

ENIAC said:
I purchased an Exide Edge 51R AGM on sale for $140 from AMZN a few years back. I watched this battery begin its journey in New Jersey, through the mid West, and eventually to Gardena outside of LA. The battery moves around LA for a few days and then starts heading back to New Jersey. So I call Amazon CS and was told the battery was destroyed. I'm guessing it was dropped or somehow severely damaged. Amazon had the seller ship me a replacement battery and it arrived without a hitch. But the whole process took 17 days. As an aside, it seems like every package I receive from FEDEX these days arrives absolutely filthy - like its been in a coal mine. Is anyone else seeing that?
My brother ordered an AGM battery from Remy at my suggestion, I read about them here on MNL but it's been over a month? and still nothing. Remy said they shipped it FedEx and FedEx said they put the battery in his mailbox(a slot in an apartment) a couple of days after he ordered it but he still doesn't have it and has probably given up :(
From what I remember it was around $150 so not peanuts and my brother lives on very low pay and lives in a section 8 apartment so he can't really afford to lose $150 but again that's probably what will happen. FedEx has been no hope and Remy has also been worthless, his credit union hasn't been much better, telling him in order to stop payment he'd have to cancel his Visa check card to contest the charge, something he doesn't want to do as he has several auto payments tied to his card.
I'd have fought it harder but he's just not that type, kinda sad but it is what it is. Occasionally I try and prod him on but it seems to fall on deaf ears....He's now thinking of selling his '13 Leaf, not because he dislikes it, he loves it, but because his recent housing where he has NO access to charging, not even a 120v plug. His only real option is a fairly close pay QC station that IMO ends up costing him a fair amount more than gas and a free QC that's frequently in use or ICE'd. He's also not too fond of sitting in a cold car while he charges or again having to wait at times an hour for it to free up. He's now kinda looking for a cheaper ICE vehicle but then he'd have to figure out how to sell his Leaf, it costs him close to $100 to rent a spot in a flat parking lot near him, again with nowhere to charge, no way he'd want to pay for a second vehicle if they'd even have another spot open.

If you want to set up some sort of funding account I'm sure the cost of the battery will be covered. I'll throw in a few bucks. And make sure to tell him that he can have heat while using a QC. That is the case, right...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back