In the Valley

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planet4ever

We are a very diverse community here, physically spread across the United States and scattered throughout the world. I got to thinking that familiar terms often mean very different things to us. Take "in the valley", for example. Most of us could say that to a neighbor or a stranger in the street and they would know what we were talking about. But it probably means dozens if not hundreds of things to the people in this community. I wonder how many valleys we could identify if a little context was added. Here are three within the US that I am somewhat familiar with:
  1. In the Valley many people speak English, but everyone speaks Spanish.
  2. The Golden Triangle in the Valley seems never to get the name recognition of the campuses to the west of it.
  3. Tule fog can be a nightmare in the Valley.

If one of these is about your valley it should be obvious to you, but can you identify those that are not your valley?

I would love to see statements with context about other valleys you are familiar with.

Ray

When in Nor Cal, when I hear "The Valley", I think people are talking about Silicon Valley.

But in a larger context of California, they might be talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Fernando_Valley" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Funny enough, I found this entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Valley" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

"Take me home, country roads"

That song likely resonates with people who live out in the country all around the USA, but it references places found in the valley where I live.

Then there is "from the valley" which I get accused of when I visit central Oregon. "Don't mind him," my friend says, "He's from the valley." Meaning the Willamette valley, Portland in particular. I dunno, we must be difernt. :lol:

OrientExpress said:
planet4ever said:
That's the Rio Grand Valley in Texas.
Yup, and it looks like you were trying to write your answer in Spanglish, since you didn't say "Grande", though "Big river" would be closer than "Grand river".

Echoing bowthom, Texas is huge, but I suspect you could go nearly anywhere in the state and say, "I'm from the Valley," and get the response, "Oh, anywhere close to Brownsville?"

Ray

planet4ever said:
OrientExpress said:
planet4ever said:
That's the Rio Grand Valley in Texas.
Yup, and it looks like you were trying to write your answer in Spanglish, since you didn't say "Grande", though "Big river" would be closer than "Grand river".

Echoing bowthom, Texas is huge, but I suspect you could go nearly anywhere in the state and say, "I'm from the Valley," and get the response, "Oh, anywhere close to Brownsville?"

Ray

Grew up in Brownsville.

Well, there's the valley where this fellow lives:

Jolly-Green-Giant%281%29.jpg

Which is semi-relevant to LEAF, since we nicknamed ours "Sprout" :mrgreen:

NewSprout2011-transp-flop.th.gif

Back