If Nissan offered to buy back your degraded Leaf, would you?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At 23K and driving, I would have to say my LEAF has been the best car I've ever owned. I'm not worried about the battery yet. Once Nissan gets the new factories up and running, this whole issue may disappear. Yeah, I could use more range. The whole crying over infrastructure is just stupid. If they put in 20 chargers in every parking lot and we all drove EV's, you still couldn't get a spot to charge and you are back needing a battery that will get you home. As it becomes more common knowledge as to the limitations of BEV, maybe you can buy more appropriately. I won't give my LEAF back until they give me a better replacement. Fair is fair and this car rocks. For me, the cost was lower than I would have spent otherwise, the operation costs just make me laugh and the car fits my commute well. I've ridden in a Model S and I have seen the future.

I'm not calling my LEAF degraded. When it's hot, it doesn't charge to the level that it does when it's cooler. I still don't know if this is degraded or a natural effect of heat that mostly disappears when the temps drop. For what this car cost me, I'm still happy. After the fact. I would still have bought my 2011 LEAF. I'm still in line for a Next Generation EV. Tesla? BMW? Infiniti? I don't know who delivers next, but I'm ready to spend the money... :D

Leon said:
At 23K and driving, I would have to say my LEAF has been the best car I've ever owned. I'm not worried about the battery yet. Once Nissan gets the new factories up and running, this whole issue may disappear. Yeah, I could use more range. The whole crying over infrastructure is just stupid. If they put in 20 chargers in every parking lot and we all drove EV's, you still couldn't get a spot to charge and you are back needing a battery that will get you home. As it becomes more common knowledge as to the limitations of BEV, maybe you can buy more appropriately. I won't give my LEAF back until they give me a better replacement. Fair is fair and this car rocks. For me, the cost was lower than I would have spent otherwise, the operation costs just make me laugh and the car fits my commute well. I've ridden in a Model S and I have seen the future.

I'm not calling my LEAF degraded. When it's hot, it doesn't charge to the level that it does when it's cooler. I still don't know if this is degraded or a natural effect of heat that mostly disappears when the temps drop. For what this car cost me, I'm still happy. After the fact. I would still have bought my 2011 LEAF. I'm still in line for a Next Generation EV. Tesla? BMW? Infiniti? I don't know who delivers next, but I'm ready to spend the money... :D

The degradation has a little consistency with the type of heat you are seeing. This based on your location. The hotter your car is consistently staying, the more likely you are to see permanent degradation. Where are you located?

I'm in Denver and it has been hot this summer. Not Arizona hot, but near 100 since the end of May. I typically charge to 80% twice a day and the heat has a real impact on what that gets you. All in all, if Nissan gets the battery factories up and running, a battery modules swap may cost like a new tranny and still only eat into your savings like you had been paying for oil changes. Seriously, for me, 4 more years and this car has 100K on it, the tax credits don't have to be given back and at the rate I'm saving money, I can happily donate it to my favorite charity.

No, I love my Leaf and I don't want an ICE. There are a ton of autos out there I'd love to drive more than the Leaf (styling, etc...) but since every last one of them is an ICE, I drive the Leaf. Now, if this deal were available when the Infinity EV sedan comes out... then YES!

Maybe you all can answer this.

I have a 3 month Leaf. NO loss in capacity bars but I have noticed that I keep getting shorter ranges with the car with the same type of driving.. I live in Texas where my car sits outside in the hot parking lot. Reading these battery degradation problems, I am really worried. I am stuck in in 3 year contract with evgo network. The Toyota Rav 4 I would not mind having and I would not not mind selling my car and getting a rav4EV but I do not know when it will come out. I am worried too if the rav4 will have battery degradation problems also.

ANy suggestions? Should I just keep driving the car. My daily commute is around 40 miles. Or get my name on the waiting list for the Rav4.

ztanos said:
Leon said:

The degradation has a little consistency with the type of heat you are seeing. This based on your location. The hotter your car is consistently staying, the more likely you are to see permanent degradation. Where are you located?

The red states seem to have more pack degradation and the blue less :lol:

tvo7 said:

I have a 3 month Leaf. NO loss in capacity bars but I have noticed that I keep getting shorter ranges with the car with the same type of driving.. I live in Texas where my car sits outside in the hot parking lot. Reading these battery degradation problems, I am really worried. I am stuck in in 3 year contract with evgo network. The Toyota Rav 4 I would not mind having and I would not not mind selling my car and getting a rav4EV but I do not know when it will come out. I am worried too if the rav4 will have battery degradation problems also.

ANy suggestions? Should I just keep driving the car. My daily commute is around 40 miles. Or get my name on the waiting list for the Rav4.
I'm not sure I can think of anyone who actually measured capacity loss on that new of a Leaf. There are plenty of other factors that can cause one's range to vary. Most likely you'll be okay doing that commute for three years even with significant capacity loss, but of course only time will tell. Can you find a shady parking spot even if it's a bit further, and/or keep your state of charge any lower? Reducing SOC should help with battery life. Perhaps you can leave it parked at work each day with about five bars of charge.

The RAV4 EV has a Tesla battery pack which should have liquid cooling and would therefore be expected to last longer. But it's also quite a bit more expensive...

By the way, my gid count at 80% went up to 215 this morning. It has been cooler lately...

tvo7 said:

Tvo7,
You and I are in identical situations! My Texas Leaf is a year old, no bars lots, but its range is about 20 miles less than when I got it to the point that I can no longer do the commute without recharging. As I can charge at work this is not the end of the world but it is an annoyance. If your Leaf is 3 months old then that means it went through the worse of this summer and I think all those 100-degree days really had a negative impact.

To your question I think you need to look at your commute length. If it is 40 miles round trip I think you will be okay for many years heat or no heat. If your commute is 60+ than that I can all but promise you that within a year you may start getting range anxiety. Despite me trying to take care of my pack (like not taking it out on really hot days) it seems to have degraded faster than it should have but at similar rates to others in Texas and Arizona. (I was not expecting this level of degradation until the 5-7 year mark.) So like so many I am waiting to see how Nissan responds to this.

As far as EVGO you can use their infrastructure and home charger for other EVs as well so it should not matter unless you decide to get away from EVs entirely.

Other than that, I suggest you avoid taking your Leaf out when the temps are in the high 90s all day, if possible, and find a spot at work that is in shade for the afternoon sun.

What part of Texas do you call home. Please consider adding city and state to your profile, you will get much better information on questions like these.

tvo7 said:

I am in the Cedar Park Texas area working out of the house. My Leafs are 8 and 7 months old. Both are in the garage and I have not noticed a decrease in range on either one but, I do not have a GID to measure. All is well on my end. The 8 month old Leaf has 5700 miles and the 7 month old Leaf has 1800 miles. The 8 month old gets driven about 20 miles a day throughout the day including at noon time when it is hot. The bat temperature usually is in the 6 bar range. The 7 month old Leaf gets driven every other day for short commutes for running errands.

Good luck,

Ian B

kubel said:
I would do it. I either want a <$30K 250-mile BEV or a <$25K 75-mile series hybrid. Make it so.

I'm in middle GA and while my battery temps have hit 7 bars in July, they are back down to 6. As long as I am working the Leaf is perfect for me. I chanrge to 80% and then only 3 times a week.

I leased my leaf because of the tax credit and as a headge for the future. You see I knew I would not want the 2012 leaf for 15 years which is the adverage length of time I keep a new car.

I'm interested in the range offered by Tesla, they are the only ones who seem to realize that and honest 250/300 interstate @70 range is what is needed to make the EV a game changer. I hope in 3 years there will be a smaller version of the X model available.

I also hope the Bladon micro jet, genset is perfected by then and is offered. This would make a great APU range extender that does not require routine maintenance as it uses air bearings so there is no oil changes etc.

I'm going to change my mind, and say that I'd keep my LEAF no matter what.

Why? It's a combination of attachment and financial circumstance.

After mulling it over in my mind for a few weeks now, I don't think I could go back to driving an ICE vehicle again full-time, period. And it's not like my political and environmental leanings have changed any this year. In fact, my views are probably more militant than ever.

Then, when you start to look at my personal financial situation, it would be somewhat difficult to take advantage of a good part of the Federal Tax Credit on a new purchase. I reckon this year I'll be lucky if my total tax liability is more than $4000, and there is still no sign that my income will be back to normal anytime soon. Of course, I could always lease, but that's never really been my bag for reasons well known to those who witnessed the EV1s being taken away and crushed. Then I would have to consider maybe owing back a part of the $5000 incentive I received on my 2011, even though I also realize a $2500 rebate might come with the replacement BEV.

And now we have a fairly solid confirmation that a new battery pack might, indeed, be had for ~$5000, plus around 3 hours of labor for removal/reinstall, once I can no longer conduct my round-trip commute (even WITH mid-point recharging, whenever that may be) the purchase of a new pack does not look completely unrealistic.

So, like I said, I think I'll hang on to the old LEAF for a while.

Back