I want my 281!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
> 11,600 miles and this morning with temperature in the garage at around 50 degrees, I got the full 281. I haven't counted, but I'm definitely over 200 charging cycles by now, all of them to 100%.

I got 279 for my first 100% charge after getting my lovely Blue SOC-meter. Garage temp was in the upper 50s and the Leaf has about 4800 mi. Hit 11 bars just a few yards after crossing 257 gids; GOM was anywhere between 88 and 103 all the while :roll:

Couldn't find the thread on these questions, but where are you installing the SOC-meter and do you always leave it plugged in?

my GID top score was 277 which coincidentally was the very first time i plugged the SOC meter into my car. it was a full charge at Bellevue, WA office building. covered but unheated. (charger was just inside the entrance) and temps ran from low 40's to upper 30's.

i dont do full charges often, but might change my habits on that for a while just to get a baseline on the parameters

With both switches DOWN (Auto-Power and EV-CAN), I leave my SOC-Meter plugged in all the time.

Using the LEAF's "switched" 12v power (Auto-On), the SOC-Meter is not powered when the car is OFF. You can use the Always-On (up position of the Power switch) to use the meter during charging.

In the "Leaf CANbuss" sub-forum, there are many SOC and CAN-Do threads, including an SOC-Meter "User Manual and Guide" that addresses this question (or should :) ).

garygid said:
With both switches DOWN (Auto-Power and EV-CAN), I leave my SOC-Meter plugged in all the time.

Using the LEAF's "switched" 12v power (Auto-On), the SOC-Meter is not powered when the car is OFF. You can use the Always-On (up position of the Power switch) to use the meter during charging.

In the "Leaf CANbuss" sub-forum, there are many SOC and CAN-Do threads, including an SOC-Meter "User Manual and Guide" that addresses this question (or should :) ).

Gary; i do the same thing and usually have it on the GID screen by default but everytime i power cycle the car, it boots up the SOC screen. is this normal?

Now that we appear to have some idea of how many Kwh each Gid represents (approximately 75 based on my experience), it might be nice to add that as a third Gid Meter display option (Gids, percent, and Kwh). This would be handy for estimating your available range since you would simply need to mentally multiply that number by your displayed M/Kwh to get your remaining range in miles... Yes, I know that neither the amount of energy per Gid nor a typical drive's M/Kwh is constant, but it would still provide some guidance and be handy...
garygid said:
Yes, this F1.08 firmware does not remember your
Mode or Value selection when powered off.

However I hope it will remember both the Mode
and Value in the next firmware release.

TomT said:
Now that we appear to have some idea of how many Kwh each Gid represents, it would be nice to add that as a third SOC display option (Gids, percent, and Kwh). This would be handy for estimating your available range since you would simply need to mentally multiply that number by your displayed M/Kwh to get your remaining range in miles...

garygid said:

Except, that 80wattHours per Gid doesn't add up to the value displayed for miles/kWh and miles driven.

Nissan says lots of things, and apparently this 80 value is theirs. Naturally, as is so often the case with anything GoM related, it doesnt add up.

Fwiw... Still seeing 272-278 on several full charges over the last few days (after weeks of 80% charging and minimal driving). It has had ample opportunity to balance (plugged in, resting at 100%) but I have no evidence that it has.. I think many of us will just have to get used to the idea that we will never see 281. I am at peace with that now.

Eighty is a number that Phil came up with. I have no idea where or how he obtained it but it does offer another reference data point... Based on my experience, 75 seems to be about right for energy expended...

TonyWilliams said:
TomT said:
Now that we appear to have some idea of how many Kwh each Gid represents, it might be nice to add that as a third Gid Meter display option (Gids, percent, and Kwh). This would be handy for estimating your available range since you would simply need to mentally multiply that number by your displayed M/Kwh to get your remaining range in miles... Yes, I know that neither the amount of energy per Gid nor a typical drive's M/Kwh is constant, but it would still provide some guidance and be handy...
garygid said:
Except, that 80wattHours per Gid doesn't add up to the value displayed for miles/kWh and miles driven.
Nissan says lots of things, and apparently this 80 value is theirs. Naturally, as is so often the case with anything GoM related, it doesnt add up.

Ingineer seemed to be saying that a 100% charge is about 94% of Total-SOC.

However, the 94% (or 80 Wh) do not appear to match any numbers that I have to work with (yet).

Howwver, he will probably discover new values faster than I can, especially considering my present energy levels.

If he finds/confirms the Battery Temperature, I hope he shares it so that I can include it in the next firmware (no, not known when, since health, taxes, etc. are going to take most of my ... energy).

I think displaying Gids as kWh (i.e. "22.48" kWh) as 80 Wh per Gid is potentially too misleading at this point. Maybe we will learn more, or I MIGHT consider a user-entered multiplier.

Learning how the (diminishing) Pack Capacity is represented would be more helpful.

TonyWilliams said:
Phil subsequently posted that he did not observe this, or measure it, but that it was published data from Nissan.

However, I can confirm that is does agree with measurement - at least during a charge cycle. There is the open question of how the car deals with the losses within the battery, though, since [EDIT:delete]energy in is less then energy out [EDIT:insert]energy out is less than energy in.[/EDIT]

94% is a measured figure not a "published" figure if that is what you are discussing. If you assume "published" is a listed specification and not a variable that can be measured.

Where/how is/was the 94% measured?

Nobody outside Nissan (Japan?) actually knows the Total Pack Capacity, right?

Or, have I missed something important while "Under the Robot"?

Interesting... I've been charging to 100 percent the last five days and discharging down to about 25 Gids due to some extra travel. This morning I had my first 281 Gid charge and I have noticed that it has been inching up a Gid or so every day I've been going to 100 percent... A little closer cell balancing each day, perhaps?

TomT said:
Interesting... I've been charging to 100 percent the last five days and discharging down to about 25 Gids due to some extra travel. This morning I had my first 281 Gid charge and I have noticed that it has been inching up a Gid or so every day I've been going to 100 percent... A little closer cell balancing each day, perhaps?

Are you getting the top off charge 1 -4 hours after the 100% charge is complete? I would guess that if you're that well balanced, any charge would be infrequent, and a relatively short amount of time later (like less than one hour).

garygid said:
Where/how is/was the 94% measured?

Nobody outside Nissan (Japan?) actually knows the Total Pack Capacity, right?

Or, have I missed something important while "Under the Robot"?

Ingineer said:
I typically see a full charge stop at 94-95% true SOC. My last charge to "100%" was actually to 94.591% SOC, and 22240 watt-hours, which is 271 "Gids".

It seems the assumption is 7% of SOC (24kWh) is unavailable, so that 22320 Wh is 95%,

Top 5% unusable = 1.2 kWh
93% (Gids) usable = 22.320 kWh
Bottom 2% unusable = 0.480 kWh

Total 24kWh, therefore 94.557% is available ? 22240 / (24000-480)

Best I can come up with unless Phil clarifies his data.

Back