I think my A/C compressor is dead

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its unlikely to just need a refill.

It could be the recalled pipes or some other leak, it could be a failed sensor, it could be a failure in the compressor or electrical system, it could be physical damage like the rock that took out my condenser, it could be a stuck or clogged valve or orifice, etc. Without pulling the codes and doing some sleuthing there's just too many possibilities to guess. A bad sensor might just be a few hundred bucks all said and done. A failed compressor might be thousands, though I would think compressor failure is also pretty unlikely. Its possible, but they usually don't just go for no reason, particularly at that age.

But the likelihood that a proper functioning system that's only 4 years old just needs a charge seems very small. It should have lasted a lot longer than that unless something happened to cause it to lose refrigerant.

If you are eligible for the recall, they may just go ahead and replace the affected pipes. Which would require checking the whole system and recharging anyway. That's probably your best bet for a low/no cost resolution.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Actually I made a mistake its only 3 years old. This is a 2013 Nissan leaf S that just went out of warranty last month MARCH. Just my luck since I was thinking on selling the leaf and moving on to a rav4 or getting a loan for a MS :(. I guess I'm stuck with going to the dealer either way.

miscrms said:
If you are eligible for the recall, they may just go ahead and replace the affected pipes. Which would require checking the whole system and recharging anyway. That's probably your best bet for a low/no cost resolution.

I think we may be getting optimistic with terminology here - it's a "service bulletin", but I don't know that there's actually a recall. Meaning I don't know if it's a free fix if the car is out of warranty. It absolutely makes it qualify as a warranty issue, but that horse has left the barn for the OP. I think an A/C issue would be unlikely to trigger a recall; these are usually related to safety or emissions issues. For an out-of-warranty vehicle, a service bulletin would basically point the techs to a possible diagnosis and recommended solution.

But I'm speculating - is anyone aware of this issue being repaired without charge in an out-of-warranty vehicle?

Fwiw, I had a TSB work done on my Leaf slightly past warranty expiration based on miles . Dealer said that normally I would have to pay for it but since I was over just a couple hundred miles they were able to bill Nissan for it, so it was free to me.

Valdemar said:
Fwiw, I had a TSB work done on my Leaf slightly past warranty expiration based on miles . Dealer said that normally I would have to pay for it but since I was over just a couple hundred miles they were able to bill Nissan for it, so it was free to me.
I'm guessing mileage may be easier to fudge than service date. I'd guess the in service date is pretty much set in stone and Nissan knows that, the mileage......well the dealer might be willing to fudge that and write down lesser mileage to a degree. After all, who's to know :) your not going to say anything about it....did you notice on your invoice if they wrote down the actual mileage or slightly less(just low enough to still be covered under the 3/36k warranty)? It's all work to the dealer and Nissan is probably a pretty good customer(payer) so they probably like doing work for them.

jjeff said:
did you notice on your invoice if they wrote down the actual mileage or slightly less

Bingo. I didn't pay attention at the time being all excited it was free or may have just forgotten, but now after I dug up the invoice I see it says 35,989. The bad news is it does indirectly confirm that TSBs are not free once out of warranty.

NissanLeafCamper said:
Great so in other words I'm screwed :( The manufactured date is 3/13 on my leaf so it just went out of warranty. oh well

What is the "in-service" date? The warranty starts on this date, and it is usually later than the manufactured date.

IMHO the only way to find out is to bring it in to the dealer, sooner the better. Yes, you may get stuck with a diagnostic fee, but then at least you will know what you are up against and what they are willing to do for you. I have no experience with Nissan dealers, but I know that Toyota dealers have a very wide latitude to help if they want to. I assume its similar with Nissan. It may require approval from corporate, but often they may chose to reduce or eliminate the cost on repairs just out of warranty to keep customers happy. Particularly when there is a known issue acknowledged by something like a service bulletin. In my experience playing for sympathy goes a lot further than being a jerk, but keep asking questions about how they might be able to help. Be persistent and honest about your disappointment, but not obnoxious/threatening. Ask about calling corporate yourself if they don't offer to take up the cause for you.

Good luck,
Rob

miscrms said:
IMHO the only way to find out is to bring it in to the dealer, sooner the better. Yes, you may get stuck with a diagnostic fee, but then at least you will know what you are up against and what they are willing to do for you. I have no experience with Nissan dealers, but I know that Toyota dealers have a very wide latitude to help if they want to. I assume its similar with Nissan. It may require approval from corporate, but often they may chose to reduce or eliminate the cost on repairs just out of warranty to keep customers happy. Particularly when there is a known issue acknowledged by something like a service bulletin. In my experience playing for sympathy goes a lot further than being a jerk, but keep asking questions about how they might be able to help. Be persistent and honest about your disappointment, but not obnoxious/threatening. Ask about calling corporate yourself if they don't offer to take up the cause for you.

Good luck,
Rob
+1
Also with a mfg date of 3/'13 I'd strongly suspect the vehicle may still be under warranty. I mean it takes time to transport a vehicle, get it to the dealer and finally sell it. My 6/'13 mfg Leaf has an in service date of 6/'14(I bought it new but it had sat around the dealer for quite some time) so my warranty is good until 6/'17. As Rob said, NissanLeafCamper you need to get your Leaf into the dealer ASAP, more than likely the warranty is still in effect :)

Valdemar said:
NissanLeafCamper said:
Great so in other words I'm screwed :( The manufactured date is 3/13 on my leaf so it just went out of warranty. oh well

What is the "in-service" date? The warranty starts on this date, and it is usually later than the manufactured date.

Ah.. that is a good point if true... I actually don't know where the in-service date is.... Is there a way to find out? I bought the leaf used, so I really don't know what that date is.... Should I try calling corporate about it? Who can I call to help me check?

jjeff said:
miscrms said:

Good luck,
Rob
+1
Also with a mfg date of 3/'13 I'd strongly suspect the vehicle may still be under warranty. I mean it takes time to transport a vehicle, get it to the dealer and finally sell it. My 6/'13 mfg Leaf has an in service date of 6/'14(I bought it new but it had sat around the dealer for quite some time) so my warranty is good until 6/'17. As Rob said, NissanLeafCamper you need to get your Leaf into the dealer ASAP, more than likely the warranty is still in effect :)

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

HOLY F$$%$ $*%*!!!! YOU GUYS ARE RIGHT O_O!!!!! I had the tires rotated a month before March and I got the print out of the work RIGHT HERE!!!

Manufacture Date: 3/14/2013
IN-Service Date: 5/22/2013
PDI Date: 5/20/2013

TAKING MY LEAF TO THE DEALER RIGHT NOW!!!!!! YOU GUYS ARE GOLD!!! THANK YOU!!!

I had given up on the whole thing too. didn't know there was a difference with the manufacture date and in-service date. I didn't even know that existed....

WIll also get that right side jet spray (Thingie) for the front wind shield fixed. It got plugged or something and only the left jet spray works. I kind of forgot about it during the tire rotation visit and felt a little silly after I missed the Manufacture date... BUT THE IN SERVICE DATE IS STILL GOOD!!!

BTW what is PDI date?

-edit-

Oh wait, I have to make an online appointment with them first :(. MAKING THAT APPOINTMENT RIGHT NOW THEN.

NissanLeafCamper said:
Manufacture Date: 3/14/2013
IN-Service Date: 5/22/2013
PDI Date: 5/20/2013

TAKING MY LEAF TO THE DEALER RIGHT NOW!!!!!! YOU GUYS ARE GOLD!!! THANK YOU!!!

I had given up on the whole thing too. didn't know there was a difference with the manufacture date and in-service date. I didn't even know that existed....
BTW what is PDI date?
PDI = Pre-Delivery Inspection

Of course there's a difference between 1st 2 dates. Once the vehicle leaves the assembly line as complete, it may sit on a lot before being shipped via boat(s), train(s) and/or truck(s) to the dealer. If any part of transport involves boats, it may sit at port for awhile before the next steps(s). At the dealer, it may sit some more (and even be shipped to other dealer(s)) before finally being 1st sold/leased as new, hence the original in-service date.

I am taking my leaf in tomorrow. I will see what they tell me and share the issue with you all. I am wondering about one thing though. If the job can't be finished in the same day because they lack parts / need to order them... will they give me a loaner? Can't really go about the things I need to do with out the vehicle on the next day. If its a loaner do I have to pay anything? I do hope they offer a loaner :(

Valdemar said:
They usually do for warranty work, if not a loaner they pay for a rental.
From having owned Nissans (2 new, 1 leased, 1 used now w/my current Leaf) since late 2001. I've found Nissan giving loaners/rental for any reason is rare. I've only gotten a loaner or rental a handful of times.

Heck, some Nissan dealers only have a 1 way shuttle: drop off only. You'd need to find a ride back to the dealer.

If it needs to be held for an extended time (never for me), then they might be more willing to provide a loaner/rental.

I have to admit I had a limited Nissan dealer exposure due to the Leaf being very reliable. The only big work was the battery replacement and they paid for a rental. My Subaru dealer is pretty good about it, at least when they take the car in for warranty work.

Warranty terms on 2011 were quite clear--a loaner was to be provided if repairs would take overnight. Warranty terms on 2015 are not as clear, but still mention a loaner (just does not clearly require one to always be provided).

Assuming the issue is a cracked A/C condenser hose fitting (common problem on2013), they should be able to complete repairs on the same day if they have all of the parts in stock.

Gerry

Thank you everybody for the replies. I hope it is only the hose so it can be done on the same day :). If they can't provide a loaner or pay a rental I might just ask them to let me have the car back till the parts are in. I'll reply tomorrow night most likely to share on what the issue was and what Nissan could do for me :).

Back