I created this problem...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Msquared

Hi everybody; I've been a member of this forum since I got my Leaf in July 2012, but I don't frequently post. However, I just wanted to share a recent experience with you, just so you can know what to expect in case this happens to you. I drive a 2012 Leaf SL, BTW.

In Portland we had a snow storm, where I couldn't even get out of my driveway for a couple of days (hilly), and eventually did with chains. The chains were $99 at Les Schwab.

Then, the roads cleared but there was still slush on the sides. I took my chains off. I'd been driving all day under these conditions with no problems, but toward the end of the day, I got a bit lazy around a curve right near my house, and it also being downhill, I started sliding sideways toward a curved curb (concave). My Leaf slammed into the curb sideways, the front passenger side wheel taking the brunt of the impact, but the rear also hitting.

Long story short, it was a miracle that there was no body damage done, but of course the front wheel now looks like total shizzle. Looks like Cookie Monster took a munch out of the edges. The rear wheel had a small, more tolerable scrape on the edge. I felt sick, but was glad I didn't hurt anyone, myself, or dent my car.

However, after digging my car out of the snow literally with my hands, I skidded back onto the clear part of the road and noticed a loud sound coming from the wheels. The dealer was closed at this time, so I had a tire place check it out for initial safety inspection. No broken control arm, brakes were fine, etc. We figured it was probably the bearing at this point. I'd driven a '92 Nissan Stanza for about 4 years in college, part of the time having had bad bearings (hey, I was broke), so I knew this sound all too well.

Took it to the dealer, Nissan of Portland, the next day and sure enough, they diagnosed it as the front right bearing, just from a test drive. So I dropped her off the next day, they lent me one of the lot cars (a Juke) for free, and I paid $216 down for the part, and then was to pay another $216 after the install.

Well, they called me that evening and educated me that the front bearing was complete toast, as suspected, blasted into 10 pieces. BUT, the rear bearing would also need replaced, as it was also noisy. And, for the same cost as the front. Well, I don't have that kind of money, so I will be waiting until my tax return for the rear replacement; luckily they said it is not as severe and I will probably be fine for a couple of weeks until I can get it fixed. FTR, I am married but have my own bank account, don't use credit cards, and my husband doesn't want me to rack up his, either. So wait it will be.

Oh, and I didn't mention my car is a lease, so I will be needing to also repair or replace at least the front rim before the lease period is over. I love my Leaf but I plan on giving it back after the lease is over, most likely for a newer Leaf or comparable electric car. All said and done, this repair process will cost me over $1000. I thought about reporting it to insurance (my deductible is $1000) but I don't want my rate to go up.

For now, I'll be carefully driving my Leaf with a chewed wheel and howling right-rear bearing for another couple of weeks until Uncle Sam delivers my tax return, then hopefully I can right my wrong to poor Elektra Pearl.

Perhaps shop for some used parts? Particularly the wheels? Otherwise I'd go ahead and let your insurance cover it. My understanding is that they take the amount of the payout into account, so it shouldn't have a big effect on your rates.

Well you're in luck at least with the rim. I just got new tires and rims, I'll sell you one of my old ones for $50 plus shipping. I've got 4 so let me know if you want one or two... no tire or tps, just the wheels themselves. They aren't going anywhere fast, just let me know.

Thanks for the advice, davewill. I've definitely been scoping out some used/refurb wheel deals online. The dealer has also recommended a wheel repair guy, but they also said that while the rear wheel would be no problem, the front rim may be too severe. I'll have to have it checked out. It's just a miracle that the front rim is not bent.

As far as the insurance goes, I've had several friends say it may raise my rates since I have a couple of speeding tickets also still on my record. Then, others say, "Go for it!" I suppose the only way to really find out is to call Progressive. I'm just dreading that, ya know? The irony is that I myself work at a call center, so like the last thing I want to do on my day off is call someone else. ;)

Also, I wanted to note that taking it to the dealer probably wasn't the cheapest option, but I don't have much choice because my dealer is so convenient to my work and comped me the rental. For any of you Portlanders, the service department at Nissan of Portland is, in my opinion, some of friendliest. They treat my husband and I like family (he's bought 2 cars from them also.) If I'd taken it to an independent shop, I would have had to arrange and pay for my own rental.

@JeremyW - Is yours a 2012 also? If so, I may be interested in two. For $50, that may be just as cheap as having somebody come to repair that rear one, and I fully plan on replacing the front. :shock:

I'd avoid the insurance if possible - they like to get their money back, rather than just give it away. It's too late now, but dealer work tends to be both expensive and mediocre at best. There may be no local repair shops who will work on a Leaf, but it's worth looking into the possibility.

I hope this doesn't sound very unsympathetic, because I do sympathise that these things can spring up from nowhere, but if you can't afford a $864 repair bill then maybe getting an expensive car wasn't the best thing to do.

If I slammed my car like that, I'd be grumpy but I'd sigh with relief if it was only this much repair bill. I'm surprised more damage wasn't done to the steering linkages if it is capable of destroying the bearings. Makes me wonder if the bearings are on the low-quality side.

donald said:
I hope this doesn't sound very unsympathetic, because I do sympathise that these things can spring up from nowhere, but if you can't afford a $864 repair bill then maybe getting an expensive car wasn't the best thing to do.

If I slammed my car like that, I'd be grumpy but I'd sigh with relief if it was only this much repair bill. I'm surprised more damage wasn't done to the steering linkages if it is capable of destroying the bearings. Makes me wonder if the bearings are on the low-quality side.

I will be the first to say that I'm a bit car-poor, and I'm at the upper end of what my income will allow. If the repairs were any more expensive, I would be filling a claim with Progressive.

And, the accident was my fault entirely. I was close to home and got sloppy with my driving, hit that slush patch, and the rest is history.

I'll amend my last comment by saying that you raise an excellent question about the quality of the bearings. I certainly did hit the curb hard, and you can see gashes on the curb from where I hit. Dumb question, but if there were steering linkage issues, what symptoms would occur? :|

Back